Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
If I open a new document in Pages and start typing,

1.) The new document will not be autosaved.
2.) If I am done with it after typing (I don't want to save it), I have to hit the red X and click Don't Save, or else it will show up again when I open Pages (due to temporary autosave).
3.) If I want to save it, I must save it the normal way (File->Save)

If I open a previously-saved document in Pages and start typing,

1.) It autosaves at a pause or every five minutes.
2.) Since it autosaves the document, I can quit Pages whenever I want, and it won't come back up when I reopen Pages, since it has been autosaved.
3.) If I want to save a "checkpoint", I click Save a Version, which adds a version of the document for me to go back to if I need to.

Is all of this correct?

Also, when it autosaves any updates made to an already-saved document, does it make a version as well? If so, what's the point of the Save a Version option?

Lion has had a bunch of new things to learn.

One of the few things that irks me about autosave is that when I quit Pages and don't want to save a document, the document pops back up when I enter Pages. If I want to discard a new document, I must now press the X and "don't save".

Kind of adds an extra step.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
If I open a new document in Pages and start typing,

1.) The new document will not be autosaved.
2.) If I am done with it after typing (I don't want to save it), I have to hit the red X and click Don't Save, or else it will show up again when I open Pages (due to temporary autosave).
3.) If I want to save it, I must save it the normal way (File->Save)

If I open a previously-saved document in Pages and start typing,

1.) It autosaves at a pause or every five minutes.
2.) Since it autosaves the document, I can quit Pages whenever I want, and it won't come back up when I reopen Pages, since it has been autosaved.
3.) If I want to save a "checkpoint", I click Save a Version, which adds a version of the document for me to go back to if I need to.

Is all of this correct?

Also, when it autosaves any updates made to an already-saved document, does it make a version as well? If so, what's the point of the Save a Version option?

Lion has had a bunch of new things to learn.

One of the few things that irks me about autosave is that when I quit Pages and don't want to save a document, the document pops back up when I enter Pages. If I want to discard a new document, I must now press the X and "don't save".

Kind of adds an extra step.

Sounds about right. If you don't want the application to re-open windows , option-command-q the app. Or remove the preference in system preferences -> General. It is not tied to versions, so those will continue.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Autosave does not save a version. You have to manually tell it to "Save a Version" to make a snapshot you can revert to.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Sounds about right. If you don't want the application to re-open windows , option-command-q the app. Or remove the preference in system preferences -> General. It is not tied to versions, so those will continue.

I already selected the option in system preferences, but it still shows up in pages. If I quit Pages with a document I haven't saved, it pops up again.

I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way though, because it's not a feature of Resume, it's a feature of AutoSave.

The Resume feature can be unchecked in System Preferences, but the AutoSave feature cannot be unchecked.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I already selected the option in system preferences, but it still shows up in pages. If I quit Pages with a document I haven't saved, it pops up again.

the only way to get around this is to cmd+w and say dont save, then cmd+q to quit

if you have an unsaved document and just quit the app it will always open with that document next time

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way though, because it's not a feature of Resume, it's a feature of AutoSave.

The Resume feature can be unchecked in System Preferences, but the AutoSave feature cannot be unchecked.

Correct. Separate features. TextEdit does the same I think. Just another thing to get used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.