Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillJennings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
After my upgrade to Lion, I've been playing around with iTunes. Has anyone else noticed that iTunes no longer has nested rules (or nested conditionals) for smart playlists? This was a feature added to iTunes 9, and it was a godsend. I can't believe this feature is now missing.

Nested rules/conditionals allow you to make much more complex smart playlists. You hit an ellipsis button (next to the + and - button) to create a nested rule. The ellipsis button is now gone in iTunes.

Here's an article in 2009 about this feature, and why it works:
http://gigaom.com/apple/itunes-9-smart-playlists-are-now-smarter/

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Same thing in Snow Lep iTunes 10.4. The weirdest is that I can still use my old iPod playlist, which has nested conditions. I can modify them, but I can't add them. I bet there is a hidden preference somewhere, they didn't completely remove support.

tcison

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Only a partial fix

This works to add a nested condition inside an existing condition. How do you add a nested condition at the root level? I don't see any way to promote or demote the newly created ALL/ANY conditions that follow.

polocanada

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
This works to add a nested condition inside an existing condition. How do you add a nested condition at the root level? I don't see any way to promote or demote the newly created ALL/ANY conditions that follow.

To make the nested condition at the root level you can create the condition anywhere you like (able to) and you can move it by dragging it around to the root level.

mags

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I know I'm a bit late to this ...

(well, I thought my title was funny) but thank you! Only had a mac for a couple of weeks and so didn't know if this was one of those silly transfer issues or just me - you've saved my sanity - now I can go catch up on some sleep with the right songs buzzing in my ears...

jyavenard

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
I've tried every possible combination, but once I've created a nested rule, I haven't found a way to create a new rule outside the nesting.

Dragging it at the root or the bottom does absolutely nothing.

The only workaround I've found, is prior to nesting any conditions, you create a few ones that aren't nested, then add a nested one. Only then will you be able to add more rules outside the current nesting.

iTunes 10.6..

This is so broken

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I've tried every possible combination, but once I've created a nested rule, I haven't found a way to create a new rule outside the nesting.

The only workaround I've found, is prior to nesting any conditions, you create a few ones that aren't nested, then add a nested one. Only then will you be able to add more rules outside the current nesting.

iTunes 10.6..

This is so broken

Hmm, strange, I can get it to work on my 3 machine's and my GF's MBP. All running 10.6.1, so I'm not sure if it's an endemic problem.

Do you have this problem with newly created playlists?

badsandwich

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009

iTunes 10.6..

This is so broken

Yep, same problem here. I've used the method you mentioned as a workaround, so thanks for that.

mcgdj

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
try this
To add another set of rules within a rule, hold down the Option key and click the Nest button Three dots inside a circle. (When you hold down the Option key, the Add button changes to the Nest button.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.