Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1
radiohead14
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nyc
Best Buy protection plan vs. Apple Care

i passed on getting the Best Buy protection plan (they will give you a new replacement if ***** happens) for $150 for 1 year, cause i thought i might be better off going through Apple for it. now that i'm looking at Apple Care.. it looks like the $249 plan is the only option, and it doesn't cover the "***** happens" protection like Best Buy. so do you guys think i should just go with Best Buy's plan?
radiohead14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Trinatek
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota, USA
Send a message via AIM to Trinatek Send a message via Skype™ to Trinatek
Say, if I ordered through Apple.com and did decide to go with some sort of insurance... would Best Buy sell me their protection plan even though I purchased directly from Apple? And does their plan extend 1 year out from the normal warranty that comes with the MBA?
Trinatek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:11 PM   #3
radiohead14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinatek View Post
Say, if I ordered through Apple.com and did decide to go with some sort of insurance... would Best Buy sell me their protection plan even though I purchased directly from Apple? And does their plan extend 1 year out from the normal warranty that comes with the MBA?
no you must purchase it from BB and it's parallel to the Apple warranty.. but i do like their replacement with a new one feature. not sure if Apple offers that w Apple Care
radiohead14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
AppleCare offers an extended hardware warranty (3-years) but it has no "protection coverage" against physical damage.

You might take a look at SquareTrade's warranty, too. Haven't used it personally, but seems like people like it.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:32 PM   #5
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
AppleCare offers an extended hardware warranty (3-years) but it has no "protection coverage" against physical damage.

You might take a look at SquareTrade's warranty, too. Haven't used it personally, but seems like people like it.
In the case of SquareTrade, accident protection is a $150 add-on to their $199 warranty. You need to buy it at the same time you get the warranty. They sometimes have coupon codes that can reduce the price by $30-50.

Since my credit card doubles my manufacturer's warranty, I sometimes wish I could just purchase accident insurance. But I haven't seen any such policies.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:34 PM   #6
rkahl
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Phone support would be really my only question.
__________________
Too much!
rkahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead14 View Post
i passed on getting the Best Buy protection plan (they will give you a new replacement if ***** happens) for $150 for 1 year, cause i thought i might be better off going through Apple for it. now that i'm looking at Apple Care.. it looks like the $249 plan is the only option, and it doesn't cover the "***** happens" protection like Best Buy. so do you guys think i should just go with Best Buy's plan?
Check with your homeowners/renters insurance agent. With most policies you can add the MBA to the policy for $30 or so a year. That will cover theft or a total loss from *****.
Bob Coxner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Dr. Cheesesteak
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Thumbs down

Maybe others have had better luck but I would stay as far from BB's coverage as possible.

We had it for my wife's Sony laptop a few years back, which was a real lemon. After having it fixed multiple times (by their in house techs) they decided there was a more serious problem and they would exchange the machine. The guy told us to go take a look on the floor for similarly priced models while he took care of the processing.

Over an hour goes by, and they apparently decided they couldn't exchange it and were going to have to ship it to their regional repair facility. It was over a month before we saw that machine again. It was still broken when we got it back.

On the other hand, something is wrong with my Mac and I take it to an Apple store. They usually fix it on the first try or walk out of the back with a replacement machine. The worst thing to ever happen was they told me they'd have to order a part and it would take a week, but they called me a day later to say my machine was ready. Get AppleCare. Worth the extra cost.
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:38 PM   #9
radiohead14
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
Maybe others have had better luck but I would stay as far from BB's coverage as possible.

We had it for my wife's Sony laptop a few years back, which was a real lemon. After having it fixed multiple times (by their in house techs) they decided there was a more serious problem and they would exchange the machine. The guy told us to go take a look on the floor for similarly priced models while he took care of the processing.

Over an hour goes by, and they apparently decided they couldn't exchange it and were going to have to ship it to their regional repair facility. It was over a month before we saw that machine again. It was still broken when we got it back.

On the other hand, something is wrong with my Mac and I take it to an Apple store. They usually fix it on the first try or walk out of the back with a replacement machine. The worst thing to ever happen was they told me they'd have to order a part and it would take a week, but they called me a day later to say my machine was ready. Get AppleCare. Worth the extra cost.
thanks for your reply! yea i decided, after reading some situations online, that i shouldn't jump into the BB plan yet. what was hooking me was the part they said that if i drop it, spill on it, or even dent it a little.. that they would replace it with a new one.. made it sound as if it's not gonna be a painful ordeal. but yea.. they are salesmen, so i'm sure they were trying to butter me up.

ps.. all of a sudden, i'm craving cheese steaks
radiohead14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:24 PM   #10
macbookpro45
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I used to work at a similar electronic store that offered warranty for stuff happening to the computer. The catchphrase always used to be, "you can bring (insert electronic device here) to us in a million pieces and we'll fix it or replace it for free". Let me tell you this - you need to read the fine print on that warranty.

There is a high number limit for the amount of times they will attempt to fix your computer. Furthermore, every time they do it will inconvenience you and put you out of a computer for days to months at a time. Did I mention they can put refurbished parts in there that are not equal or better to the original part i.e. video cards. One of the worst decisions you can make in life aside from not choosing an aisle seat is to buy an electronic store protection plan.
macbookpro45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:14 AM   #11
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
On portable Macs, Applecare has always been beneficial for me, in both small and big ways. I, for one, will always get it.
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:55 AM   #12
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
You can gets little better price on Applecare from some retailers like B&H Photo $190 there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_MacBook.html
__________________
Mac user since 1984.
DarwinOSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:29 AM   #13
jlc1978
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead14 View Post
i passed on getting the Best Buy protection plan (they will give you a new replacement if ***** happens) for $150 for 1 year, cause i thought i might be better off going through Apple for it. now that i'm looking at Apple Care.. it looks like the $249 plan is the only option, and it doesn't cover the "***** happens" protection like Best Buy. so do you guys think i should just go with Best Buy's plan?
If you are worried about accidental damage - get an all risks electronics rider or separate insurance policy for your Mac - not only will it be cheaper; but it will cover loss / damage / theft - and not just on your MBA. BB plan is a poor choice if you are looking for insurance.

If you want warranty extension - many credit cards do that already.

BTW - they don't give a new replacement - they give you what you paid for the MBA as a credit - which you can use to buy a new one. If you paid a discounted price then you'll only get that back.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:31 AM   #14
jlc1978
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Since my credit card doubles my manufacturer's warranty, I sometimes wish I could just purchase accident insurance. But I haven't seen any such policies.
Call your insurance agent - they write all risk electronic riders for homeowners / renters plus offer standalone policies as well.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook pro warranty: Apple care vs best buy protection plan macbeast123 MacBook Pro 4 Dec 27, 2013 06:44 PM
Getting care protection plan before reselling? chfilm iMac 4 Dec 22, 2013 09:57 AM
Where to BUY AppleCare Protection Plan? born4sky MacBook Pro 4 Oct 28, 2013 01:32 PM
Apple Care Protection Plan? Cyborg21 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Oct 24, 2013 01:04 PM
Best Buy Accidental Protection Plan ntravers3413 Wasteland 18 Nov 20, 2012 07:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC