Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1
TSE
macrumors 68030

MacBook Air resale value

So I want to buy a MacBook Air, base 13" model for $1249 with my student discount for my first year of university.

The reason why I am purchasing this is because at orientation I was told that the freshman coming into university don't do any heavy lifting with their computers. However, sophomore and above need a fast computer.

So I plan on buying a MacBook Air 13" now, then when the new Pros come out in late winter/early spring 2012, I will sell the Air and buy the new, hopefully redesigned MacBook Pros.

How much do you think I would be able to sell the Air if everything is in 100% condition if it is still the most recent model at the time?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:18 PM   #2
getyup
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
So I want to buy a MacBook Air, base 13" model for $1249 with my student discount for my first year of university.

The reason why I am purchasing this is because at orientation I was told that the freshman coming into university don't do any heavy lifting with their computers. However, sophomore and above need a fast computer.

So I plan on buying a MacBook Air 13" now, then when the new Pros come out in late winter/early spring 2012, I will sell the Air and buy the new, hopefully redesigned MacBook Pros.

How much do you think I would be able to sell the Air if everything is in 100% condition if it is still the most recent model at the time?
How did you get accepted into college if you can't perform basic research?

http://tinyurl.com/3cad5we

ugh...
getyup is offline   -6
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
TSE
macrumors 68030

That didn't answer my question at all.

I wasn't paying attention to the previous MacBook Air's value between when it came out and before the current generations came out. That is why I am asking.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:55 PM   #4
getyup
Banned

Quote:
That didn't answer my question at all.

I wasn't paying attention to the previous MacBook Air's value between when it came out and before the current generations came out. That is why I am asking.
So you're looking for someone who can predict the future? I'm guessing they're busy playing the lottery and betting on ponies.

The only true way to guess the resale value is to look at past models and their trends in value. There's no "blue book" of this stuff. If you want a for sure number, look at Best Buy's buy back program, but not a very good guide of private party value.

If this is how all incoming frosh students think, I weep for this country's future.
getyup is offline   -5
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyup View Post
So you're looking for someone who can predict the future? I'm guessing they're busy playing the lottery and betting on ponies.

The only true way to guess the resale value is to look at past models and their trends in value. There's no "blue book" of this stuff. If you want a for sure number, look at Best Buy's buy back program, but not a very good guide of private party value.

If this is how all incoming frosh students think, I weep for this country's future.
I'm looking for someone who has done that. I was looking for someone who has been in this situation before and tried to resell a Core 2 Duo MacBook Air before these ones came out.

Please don't reply with a smartass answer that is no help. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:49 PM   #6
getyup
Banned

Quote:
I'm looking for someone who has done that. I was looking for someone who has been in this situation before and tried to resell a Core 2 Duo MacBook Air before these ones came out.

Please don't reply with a smartass answer that is no help. Thanks.
Seriously, what is your issue? So you'd give more credibility from one individual who sold ONE over running a report on eBay of all closed auctions for a specific model that will give you an average of thousands sold?!?!? That makes no sense. I hope you're not a statistics major, or anything involving research skills.
getyup is offline   -7
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyup View Post
Seriously, what is your issue? So you'd give more credibility from one individual who sold ONE over running a report on eBay of all closed auctions for a specific model that will give you an average of thousands sold?!?!? That makes no sense. I hope you're not a statistics major, or anything involving research skills.
I would be fine with you if 1. You didn't intentionally throw smartass insults towards me and 2. You gave actual help. You know fair well that the Best Buy buy back program is basically a scam.

I am not aware of a way to see previous eBay auctions that have ended... They throw away the old ones I thought.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
miles01110
macrumors 604

Novel idea: Wait until you actually need a computer to buy one (???).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
getyup
Banned

Quote:
I would be fine with you if 1. You didn't intentionally throw smartass insults towards me and 2. You gave actual help. You know fair well that the Best Buy buy back program is basically a scam.

I am not aware of a way to see previous eBay auctions that have ended... They throw away the old ones I thought.
1) I didn't throw insults. You're just sensitive to those who tell you to click the SEARCH button.

2) I gave actual help, you just didn't want to follow it, you wanted your cake served to you on a plate. Not sure Best Buy is a scam, they just hand you cash for a product, so you don't have to do any work listing\shipping\dealing with buyers and returns and potential chargebacks. They're in business to make money, if you don't think they're worth the fee, don't use the service.

Well I'd think before you threw my helpful advice back in my face, you'd ask how you run completed listings search. It's a checkbox in the search that's been there since the beginning of time. Maybe next time ask for clarification before you accuse someone of not being helpful?
getyup is offline   -4
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:24 PM   #10
hachre
macrumors 6502a

You can see eBay auctions that have ended by ticking the "Completed listings" on the left bar of the result page... That is also how I check generally how much something is still worth.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.htm....c0.m270.l1313
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:27 PM   #11
atruong
macrumors newbie

Your resale value on ebay will be a factor of many things including some very important things such as the condition of the actual mba, the condition of the screen, the condition of the battery, your ability to provide all accessories, the status of your warranty (applecare or not) down to smaller things such as you having the original box to send it in as well as how good of a photographer you are. Apple laptops have generally sold for more than 50% of their value. I would predict that you get from 70 to 80 percent of the original value after one year (with applecare).
atruong is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:37 PM   #12
PeterKG
macrumors regular

I have put my 2010 MBA 11" Ultimate up on eBay with a starting bid of $1.00 (thanks to tips I got here). I think a big indicator of the current value is Apple's own refurb's. My version is selling for $1049. plus tax. I feel like Apple is kind of killing the resale market by being more aggressive moving previous models stock.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MjEwNTcwMTk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1168

Last edited by PeterKG; Jul 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
PeterKG is offline   1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:39 PM   #13
getyup
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKG View Post
I have put my 2010 MBA 11" Ultimate up on eBay with a starting bid of $850. I think a big indicator of the current value is Apple's own refurb's. My version is selling for $1049 plus tax. So I figure I should get around $1000. for mine. Or maybe no bids at all. I feel like Apple is kind of killing the resale market by being more aggressive moving previous models stock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1168
Too high. Average selling price as of today is $857, so to start bidding at $850 likely won't sell. I'd recommend starting it @ $0.99 for the best result. There's enough demand on eBay it'll sell for $825-$895 average as of today. I sold both mine last night, one closed for $891 (including shipping), and one for $885 (including shipping). 2010 Ultimate.
getyup is offline   -1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:40 PM   #14
hachre
macrumors 6502a

Yes, I also generally recommend starting at $1.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:42 PM   #15
getyup
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachre View Post
Yes, I also generally recommend starting at $1.
Yeah, if it's a low demand collectable, using reserve or high starting bid makes sense. But a high-demand item like a mac product, there's literally hundreds of people bidding. When I start at a dollar I usually get 40-50 bids, 400+ page views, so no worry that it's not going to fetch market value.
getyup is offline   -1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:49 PM   #16
PeterKG
macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the tips. I will update my auction.
PeterKG is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:56 PM   #17
hachre
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKG View Post
Thanks guys for the tips. I will update my auction.
And for next time: If you go further away from the objects you're taking a picture of, but instead zoom to keep their size as large as you want, you will get rid of those nasty distortions.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:06 PM   #18
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:

http://***********/?q=y+I+get+mad+tho%3F
aziatiklover is offline   -1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:10 PM   #19
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Contrary to what they said, I bet you can get more than one year usage out of your Air at university.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:12 PM   #20
PeterKG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachre View Post
And for next time: If you go further away from the objects you're taking a picture of, but instead zoom to keep their size as large as you want, you will get rid of those nasty distortions.
Thanks hachre,

Man I really screwed up this auction. I guess I could take new pictures, and update if someone hasn't bid yet.
PeterKG is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:23 PM   #21
Baycity
macrumors newbie

Im in the same exact situation. Starting school in the fall and i imagine the beginning work load wont be much so i plan to get a stock 13 until the macbook pro refresh next year. Expect to take a slight hit of course but enjoy it while you have it and try to sell it before the next update is out. As for the couple trolls in here, just ignore them, its unfortunate some apple owners are giant CVNTS and really add nothing to conversation.
Baycity is offline   -1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:48 PM   #22
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycity View Post
Im in the same exact situation. Starting school in the fall and i imagine the beginning work load wont be much so i plan to get a stock 13 until the macbook pro refresh next year. Expect to take a slight hit of course but enjoy it while you have it and try to sell it before the next update is out. As for the couple trolls in here, just ignore them, its unfortunate some apple owners are giant CVNTS and really add nothing to conversation.
Correction - many Mac owners are douchebags so think twice before buying MacBook Air (or any Mac to that matter) because then you'll have to come for support to forums full of people with attitude issues
lilo777 is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:54 PM   #23
Baycity
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Correction - many Mac owners are douchebags so think twice before buying MacBook Air (or any Mac to that matter) because then you'll have to come for support to forums full of people with attitude issues
Haha ive been a mac user for 5 years and i consider myself to be a pretty decent person and i sure as hell can roll with the punches! I just feel like, if you dont like a thread dont comment... Unless of course its re god damn diculous like "whats a macbook"? People need to quit trolling and being so negative. That said.. I AM going to order my new mba on amazon right now and save myself the 110 sales tax. Then next year i will also get a new mbp, and maybe sell the mba.
Baycity is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:14 AM   #24
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually I find that attitude issues most of it usually come from the non Mac owners of this forum
Obscurelight is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland