Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Graig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
How do you change your user account picture in Lion

i want to change the picture on my user account. Looking for Accounts in System Preferences and see only Users & Groups. Can't see where to make the change in there.
Graig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
panda bear
macrumors 68000
 
panda bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click on the picture you have currently.. it'll show a little dropdown menu..

You can either select one of the supplied photos or click "edit picture" and then "choose" to browse your computer.
panda bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:46 PM   #3
saving107
macrumors 603
 
saving107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose, Ca
Same as always (not new to lion), hover over your picture and then click on the grey arrow on the bottom right corner.

saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Graig
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Thanks folks I found it between the time I posted and now. Sometimes the most obvious is the hardest. LOL
Graig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:31 PM   #5
rcervera
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Can't change my user photo in Lion

I have tried to change from photos on my mac, or from snapshots. Each time I click "set" it reverts to the original photo (that I want to change out of). Interestingly, if I click to lock, it allows a new photo to be displayed, but once you lock it the original photo reappears.
rcervera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Nomar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Having the same issue here. Stuck with the goofy looking snapshot my new MBA took when I set it up. Looks like we'll have to hope they fix this in 10.7.1
Nomar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:10 AM   #7
mtgilbert
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Same problem, but only for Administrator

When the lock is closed, I can change the picture but it doesn't get recorded. When the lock is open, I can't even change it - it reverts immediately. This is only the case for Admin; I can change the pictures for Other Users. Also, the old picture - left over from Snow Leopard - is very low resolution. Anyone else experiencing that?
mtgilbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a
 
Btrthnezr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

LOL my son has gone in and changed everyone's picture (that's what I get for staying logged in). But instead of just picking a picture, he took a picture using a facial expression he felt represented each of us.

But we are on SL for now. I hope your lion problem gets fixed.
__________________
iPhone 5, iMac, MBA
Btrthnezr3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:16 PM   #9
geneg1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
EDIT: never mind, the change didn't survive an iPhone sync (even when I told iTunes to replace contact information on the phone).

--

Here's a workaround I found for Lion 10.7.0:

1. Using System Preferences > Users and Groups, create a new Admin user (I called mine Temp)

2. Log out and log back in as your new Admin user

3. Use System Preferences to change the image of your original, "real" Admin user

4. Log out and log back in as yourself

5. Delete the Temp admin user

The picture seems to be "sticking" for now. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by geneg1; Jul 27, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
geneg1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:43 AM   #10
mtgilbert
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Still no luck

I tried your workaround but had no luck. I was able to change the picture of my new Admin account while it was the active account, but still couldn't change the original Admin account.
mtgilbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:37 AM   #11
geneg1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgilbert View Post
I tried your workaround but had no luck. I was able to change the picture of my new Admin account while it was the active account, but still couldn't change the original Admin account.
Ok, I think I've solved this problem, at least on 10.7.1 (not sure about 10.7.0). Here are the steps:

1. Go into Address Book > Card > Go to My Card

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your Admin user and pick the photo you want

6. Go back to Address Book, click Card > Make This My Card

Hopefully this will work for you too.
geneg1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:40 AM   #12
baryon
macrumors 68030
 
baryon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
My System Prefs crashes whenever I click on Users & Groups...
__________________
Sent from my iPod Shuffle
baryon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:31 AM   #13
thedinosaw
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneg1 View Post
Ok, I think I've solved this problem, at least on 10.7.1 (not sure about 10.7.0). Here are the steps:

1. Go into Address Book > Card > Go to My Card

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your Admin user and pick the photo you want

6. Go back to Address Book, click Card > Make This My Card

Hopefully this will work for you too.

The above solution by Geneg1 seems to have worked for me. I have been frustrated by this problem for a number of weeks now, and nothing seemed to solve it, but so far so good with this solution. Thanks
thedinosaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:32 PM   #14
randomerratum
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneg1 View Post
Ok, I think I've solved this problem, at least on 10.7.1 (not sure about 10.7.0). Here are the steps:

1. Go into Address Book > Card > Go to My Card

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your Admin user and pick the photo you want

6. Go back to Address Book, click Card > Make This My Card

Hopefully this will work for you too.
Just changing the image in my address book seemed to work so far.

Looking back now, I think the picture had been pulled from my Facebook, which was synced to my contacts and was then propagating to my Twitter account. I was trying to change my Twitter picture, but it wouldn't take and kept replacing the new pic with the old... I hadn't thought to change the pic in my address book, which was taking over Twitter via iOS5's Twitter integration and also my OSX user account.

Oh, 21st century problems!
__________________
17" Unibody MacBookPro, Dual-Core PowerPC G5, iPhone 3G, 5G iPod Video, 8GB iPod nano, Airport Extreme, iPod Hifi
randomerratum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:00 AM   #15
nodakjones
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Change "my card" contact in Address Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomerratum View Post
Just changing the image in my address book seemed to work so far.

Oh, 21st century problems!

I can confirm that just changing my picture in my address book "my card" seems to have updated my user account picture as well. I think this is kind of a bug. Settings->Users accounts makes it seem like you have changed the picture for your user account, only to have it go back after reboot or logout.
nodakjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Itchyed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneg1 View Post
EDIT: never mind, the change didn't survive an iPhone sync (even when I told iTunes to replace contact information on the phone).

--

Here's a workaround I found for Lion 10.7.0:

1. Using System Preferences > Users and Groups, create a new Admin user (I called mine Temp)

2. Log out and log back in as your new Admin user

3. Use System Preferences to change the image of your original, "real" Admin user

4. Log out and log back in as yourself

5. Delete the Temp admin user

The picture seems to be "sticking" for now. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for directing me to the Address Book. That appears to be where the User pic is rooted.
Itchyed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:50 AM   #17
bdodds1985
macrumors 6502a
 
bdodds1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tartarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

LOL my son has gone in and changed everyone's picture (that's what I get for staying logged in). But instead of just picking a picture, he took a picture using a facial expression he felt represented each of us.

But we are on SL for now. I hope your lion problem gets fixed.
we want pictures! your son is a genius.
__________________

| Mac Mini | MBP |
bdodds1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:04 PM   #18
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcervera View Post
I have tried to change from photos on my mac, or from snapshots. Each time I click "set" it reverts to the original photo (that I want to change out of). Interestingly, if I click to lock, it allows a new photo to be displayed, but once you lock it the original photo reappears.
I have the same problem.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:48 PM   #19
MaxMike
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Same as always (not new to lion), hover over your picture and then click on the grey arrow on the bottom right corner.

Image
Does anyone have that gearshift knob picture they can either post or tell me where to get? I don't have that option on my MacBook Pro and I'd really rather have that than the lightning I'm using now. Thanks!
__________________
Laptop: MacBook Pro (Fall 2011), 2.4GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD 6770M
Desktop: Mac mini (Late 2009), 2.53GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA 9400M
On the Go: iPhone 5, iPad 3, iPod nano/touch/shuffle/5G
MaxMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 AM   #20
ricciy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
Same as always (not new to lion), hover over your picture and then click on the grey arrow on the bottom right corner.

Image
I'm running 10.8.2 on a Mac Air and I don't see the Edit Picture option.
ricciy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:24 AM   #21
spencerstar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
To Change User Account Photo

Here is a method that works by putting your photos in with the default user pictures.

I found the default pictures in macintosh HD/library/user pictures. On my system OS X 10.8.2 there are six subdirectories under this directory. You can put your own set of pictures in as part of the default collection.

Create a new empty subdirectory with your name. You will have to enter your password as administrator. Then go to where your favorite pictures are, copy them, and paste to this new subdirectory, again entering your admin password. Now your own pictures should show up in the default collection.

To change photos go into the contacts app and edit your photo. Then go into the Users and Groups under system preferences and select edit, then default photos, and then scroll down. Good luck.
spencerstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:10 AM   #22
aoitsukinosuke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I got a little confused, but if you guys are looking to change your user picture from Preferences>Users & Groups, there is a simple way.

Locate the picture you want to set as your user photo in Finder. Then, Preferences>Users & Groups.
Now you have the Finder folder in the background and Users & Groups window at the front.

WITHOUT clicking the Finder window, drag the picture onto the U&G window where your old picture is. (There should be a + sign next to your cursor now).

Drop it on the old picture.
Make your size and placement adjustments and you're done.

Hope this helps.
aoitsukinosuke is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:57 AM   #23
ghaz23
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoitsukinosuke View Post
I got a little confused, but if you guys are looking to change your user picture from Preferences>Users & Groups, there is a simple way.

Locate the picture you want to set as your user photo in Finder. Then, Preferences>Users & Groups.
Now you have the Finder folder in the background and Users & Groups window at the front.

WITHOUT clicking the Finder window, drag the picture onto the U&G window where your old picture is. (There should be a + sign next to your cursor now).

Drop it on the old picture.
Make your size and placement adjustments and you're done.

Hope this helps.

Done !!! thank you am using Mountain Lion 10.8.2
ghaz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:14 PM   #24
SquirrellyOne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Thumbs up Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoitsukinosuke View Post
I got a little confused, but if you guys are looking to change your user picture from Preferences>Users & Groups, there is a simple way.

Locate the picture you want to set as your user photo in Finder. Then, Preferences>Users & Groups.
Now you have the Finder folder in the background and Users & Groups window at the front.

WITHOUT clicking the Finder window, drag the picture onto the U&G window where your old picture is. (There should be a + sign next to your cursor now).

Drop it on the old picture.
Make your size and placement adjustments and you're done.

Hope this helps.
Wonderbar! This is exactly what I was looking for. By making the process easier, they made it harder to figure out how to do it. How come Apple's help doesn't give these directions? Go figure. Anyhow, thanks again!
SquirrellyOne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:07 AM   #25
Tillerman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles
It works for 10.8.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoitsukinosuke View Post
I got a little confused, but if you guys are looking to change your user picture from Preferences>Users & Groups, there is a simple way.

Locate the picture you want to set as your user photo in Finder. Then, Preferences>Users & Groups.
Now you have the Finder folder in the background and Users & Groups window at the front.

WITHOUT clicking the Finder window, drag the picture onto the U&G window where your old picture is. (There should be a + sign next to your cursor now).

Drop it on the old picture.
Make your size and placement adjustments and you're done.

Hope this helps.
This is the only thing that worked for me. I am running 10.8.4 Thanks for the tip
Tillerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guest Account User Picture Alfieg OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Dec 5, 2013 01:26 AM
Unable to log in to user account after Directory save change haydeschuch OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Jul 9, 2013 02:09 AM
Would like a Mountain Lion User account picture Graig OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 8 Jul 29, 2012 07:17 PM
Would like a Mountain Lion User account picture Graig Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 0 Jul 25, 2012 10:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC