Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ordered lots and lots of macs in the past (this is my forth mac computer hardware purchase in a year) and have never received shipping confirmation via SMS before?

Just wondering have Apple only just started doing this, or is it just new to Ireland (we usually play catchup). Or is it because the new MacBook air is getting special treatment ;)

michaelb82

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
SYD
I'm waiting for my new MBA to ship and havn't received anything yet (in Australia). Having an SMS keeping me updated would be really nice knowing what stage its at. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Strange thing is for the life of me I can not recall putting my mobile number on my order when I placed it.

I am wondering is it because my iPhone is linked to my account and therefore they know my mobile number?

holycat

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2006
I'm waiting for my new MBA to ship and havn't received anything yet (in Australia). Having an SMS keeping me updated would be really nice knowing what stage its at. :)

Same here from Brisbane.
Ordered a 13/256/i7 within first 10 minutes of MBA release.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
In Australia, if you supply a mobile number when placing your order, you are sent an SMS in the morning of the day your item is due to be delivered. It basically just says the item is out for delivery.

michaelb82

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
SYD
In Australia, if you supply a mobile number when placing your order, you are sent an SMS in the morning of the day your item is due to be delivered. It basically just says the item is out for delivery.

Has it changed recently? In November when my iMac was delivered I didn't receive an SMS, and I only provided my mobile number during the order.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Has it changed recently? In November when my iMac was delivered I didn't receive an SMS, and I only provided my mobile number during the order.

It has been this way for a number of years. The SMS is sent by TNT to the recipient. I order up to 10 macs a year at different times (obviously not all for me personally, but they are ordered under my name), in addition to orders placed with Apple for accessories etc, and I am always sent an SMS of the morning the items are scheduled to the delivered (this has been true for deliveries both in NSW and WA).

The only reason that I could think of that would prevent you from being sent an SMS, is if your location was in a regional or remote area where the logistics centre was very small and did not make use of this service (which I doubt would be the case).

Slightly off topic: My sister did complain that she didn't get an SMS notification the day her iPad 2 was delivered (she knew it was coming anyway as I told her). I logged into her Apple account and she had an old mobile number from years ago still as her contact number.

michaelb82

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
SYD
(this has been true for deliveries both in NSW and WA).
Maybe it isn't provided in Victoria, but highly unlikely I'd think..

is if your location was in a regional or remote area where the logistics centre was very small and did not make use of this service (which I doubt would be the case).
I had my iMac delivered to what is still classed as a regional area in Victoria (Officer near Pakenham) so maybe out there TNT don't offer it..

I'm now in NSW in a metro area so I might be surprised and receive an SMS for my new MBA in the coming few days. :)

Thanks for the info Kristine. :)

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I'm now in NSW in a metro area so I might be surprised and receive an SMS for my new MBA in the coming few days.

If your anything like me, you will be checking the shipment tracking information online so you know what day it is arriving anyway.

Cheers :)

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Never have gotten any text messages from Apple here in the US and I provide my mobile number every order. The new MBA is no exception. :mad:

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Ok, I am just clarifying, Apple do not send the SMS in Australia. This is a notificaiton service provided by TNT, the company contracted to deliver Apple products in Australia.

Cheers :)

EDIT: I was just placing an order for a 13" Ultimate MBA, and whilst completing the checkout process, this message is displayed on the right hand side of the screen.

"If you reside in a metropolitan area or major regional centre and wish to receive an SMS message notifying you of delivery (early on the morning of delivery) please provide your mobile phone number."

Last edited:

michaelb82

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
SYD
I got 2 orders delivered today, this morning I received the SMS about both of them being delivered and who it was being sent from (APPLE), so it works in Sydney, but I never received such a SMS when I was in Melbourne.. Hopefully now I receive one when I get my MBA tomorrow/Friday. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.