Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:57 AM   #1
TNTN
Banned

Please suggest a good MBA and camera backpack

I'm looking for a truly protective backpack for my 13" Air that also has compartmentalised space for camera kit. Any suggestions greatly recieved!

I used to use my normal backpack with my 15"MBP in a standard neoprene case, but in just a couple of years it's so dented that I need something more robust for my Air!

Thanks
TNTN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:00 AM   #2
axu539
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTN View Post
I'm looking for a truly protective backpack for my 13" Air that also has compartmentalised space for camera kit. Any suggestions greatly recieved!

I used to use my normal backpack with my 15"MBP in a standard neoprene case, but in just a couple of years it's so dented that I need something more robust for my Air!

Thanks
Get a Booq Vyper and just throw that into any bag you want. I dropped my last Air several times inside the case and nothing happened. No scratches, even, when I sold it.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:08 AM   #3
TNTN
Banned

I thought the Booq Viper looked a bit too fiddly to get the computer in and out - enough that I'd probably stop using it.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:08 AM   #4
fitshaced
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Thanks
I use a Lowepro Classified sling 180aw. It holds my canon 7d with 24-105 lens mounted, tokina 11-16mm, 50 1.8, macro kit, 430ex ii flash, mba 13 (although a bit tight), laptop charger and portable itb hard drive.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:26 AM   #5
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Lowe pro do a good range and so do Crumpler.

I've been through a few camera/laptop bags and the Lowepro Fastpack 200 I currently have has no separate laptop comparment (I had a large, heavy Sony laptop at the time), however the larger models in the range do. The great thing about these Fastpacks is that you can draw the camera from a side flap in the bottom compartment without taking your pack off. Far easier. The top compartment is good for carrying chargers, snacks etc - larger models might even be good enough as an overnight bag.

I like the styling (and names) of the Crumpler range more but have yet to see a side loading camera/laptop backback.

Just be careful to think about what you want/need and how you want to use yoyr bag as different styles serve slightly different purposes. Don't buy without trying. I rejected a couple in the store as they weren't as good as my reserach had suggested. To my mind, having to take a bag off your back just to get your camera out is a no-no.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:57 AM   #6
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

My old 15 pre-solid body was so dented, it looked like it was in a crash derby.

Look at the rugged zipper cases as mentioned (one being Thule), as to back packs, the amount of camera gear and how you shoot is a consideration. Think Tank photo furnishes several back packs. Pricey, but they have features that separate them from the rest. One is the Streetwalker Hard Drive; another is the ShapeShifter. There are others. Here is the back pack section of the site: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:09 AM   #7
jbanning
macrumors newbie

I have the previous generation of this backpack and have been really happy with it. It really depends on how many lenses and other equipment ou plan on carrying.

http://www.ebags.com/product/case-lo...ductid=1357947
jbanning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:15 AM   #8
TNTN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
My old 15 pre-solid body was so dented, it looked like it was in a crash derby.

Look at the rugged zipper cases as mentioned (one being Thule), as to back packs, the amount of camera gear and how you shoot is a consideration. Think Tank photo furnishes several back packs. Pricey, but they have features that separate them from the rest. One is the Streetwalker Hard Drive; another is the ShapeShifter. There are others. Here is the back pack section of the site: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx
This Thule one looks good - concerned it takes 'up to 17" MBP" though - wouldnt'a 13" Air rattle around?

Also, not been 100% honest, I don't need a camera bag per se, I just need a bag with compartments to hold various tools etc. that I use for work.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:22 AM   #9
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Also, not been 100% honest, I don't need a camera bag per se, I just need a bag with compartments to hold various tools etc. that I use for work.
A cargo or Cozmo would work...extremely high quality and great people...email them

Www.sfbags.com
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:13 AM   #10
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This Thule one looks good - concerned it takes 'up to 17" MBP" though - wouldnt'a 13" Air rattle around?

Made for 13 MBP: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3...g&s=topSellers

Don't know how it will fit the Air, though. There'll be room but probably not too sloppy. It's a play in case that is rugged and has a water resistant zipper. I have one for my MBP and had to use the laptop on a construction site, laying it on a rough wooden scaffold. No problems. I got it because I wanted to avoid a banged up MBP after my prior one looked all crashed into.
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:53 AM   #11
Kristine
macrumors 6502

Kata DR466i.
Kristine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air