Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
How good are the durability of macbook airs? I'm considering getting one but I don't want to buy a new laptop every two years or so, I want one that lasts. Thanks!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Better than a standard laptop being a unibody but it's not gonna love you if you drop it to find out ;)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My Rev B looked nearly as good as new when I sold it 2 years ago, apart from a little crease from when I dropped it onto my hardwood floor (about 3 feet). Just don't spill any water on it. It is VERY sensitive to that since there is nowhere for the water to go, unlike in non-unibody designs. The Rev D and Rev E models are even stronger since Apple improved the hinge design.

How long do you want to keep it? I think the new model should be able to keep up with most non-gaming software for about 4 years. The Sandy Bridge is a new design, so it's like the Core 2 Duo back in early 2007 (at the beginning of its life).

mstern8

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I own the original MBA (3 years in September) ---- it has been very good to me - albeit a bit on the slow side recently..
However, my dog knocked it off the coffee table twice around 2 months ago - it was fine.
All of a sudden, two days ago (~ 12 hrs post ordering my new 2011 MBA), the screen hinges snapped!

Going to get this repaired so I can pass down the computer to my mom.

Overall, great experience with my MBA!!

M.

renoirbleu

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
It's very interesting to see the number of posts in this thread in comparison with those in the thread under the topic like "macbook air hinge crack defect/screen crack, etc."
This few posts do not relieve me at all from the fear that my mba can easily be the one with cracks all around out of the warranty.... :(

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
It's very interesting to see the number of posts in this thread in comparison with those in the thread under the topic like "macbook air hinge crack defect/screen crack, etc."
This few posts do not relieve me at all from the fear that my mba can easily be the one with cracks all around out of the warranty.... :(

I've owned the 2010 MBA for about a year now - it is solid. The unibody Aluminum construction is amazingly durable. Durability would not be a factor at all to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.