Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1
harleymhs
macrumors 6502

New Mail Sucks

I just picked up an 11" yesterday and I also have another 11" from a month ago.. Lion seems to be ok.. BUT the NEW mail looks like IPAD mail.. SL mail is much more easier to use... I guess im not one for change but LOVE change in a good way.. this mail is terrible.. Anyone else feel the same way about LIONS mail system????
harleymhs is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:12 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Use the Classic style then...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:14 AM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

Yeah, your definitely in the minority. The new mail is so much cleaner, conversation view is awesome and it's much improved overall. If you don't like it, you can revert back to the old style in the settings.
ECUpirate44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Typswif2fingers
macrumors 6502

Sorry mate.. cannot agree at all...

I quite like it..

Very subjective indeed...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:18 AM   #5
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

New Mail.app > old Mail.app.

There are a few things the new Mail.app does without plugins/add-ons vs. the old Mail. And if you don't like the new Mail, you can always revert to the old style.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:19 AM   #6
3bs
macrumors 603

Totally disagree.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502

The new mail is definitely a cleaner look and very easy to adapt to for me since I was an IOS user before a Mac user. However you can always revert to classic style if you really do find it unacceptable
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Peter Harrison
macrumors 6502a

Can't disagree more strongly. Merges everything that was great about the iPad client and the original Mac client. Current Lion app is better than both IMO.

Also, shouldn't this be in a different area of the forum? Somewhere for the OS talk rather than the Macbook Air. This is a question/statement/complaint relevant to anyone with Lion.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Ubuntu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymhs View Post
I just picked up an 11" yesterday and I also have another 11" from a month ago.. Lion seems to be ok.. BUT the NEW mail looks like IPAD mail.. SL mail is much more easier to use... I guess im not one for change but LOVE change in a good way.. this mail is terrible.. Anyone else feel the same way about LIONS mail system????
No, I think its brilliant. Once I reenabled the sidebar I found the layout to be much nicer. But then again, I am using it on an iMac 27 inch display.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:35 AM   #10
JD92
macrumors 6502a

You can make it look exactly like Snow Leopard Mail.app by going Preferences -> Viewing -> Use Classic Layout. Then you can get your mailboxes list back on the left by clicking the 'Show' button under the Get New Mail button.
JD92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:42 AM   #11
racer1441
macrumors 68000

I'm with the OP. Hate the new mail. Yeah, you can get it to be useful through the classic settings, and changes, but that's a hassle. Glad you only have to go through it once.

Who's bright idea was it to nest e-mail threads together. God, I hate that.
racer1441 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:56 AM   #12
McRCN
macrumors regular

New mail looks promising, but it will take an adjustment.

Noticed they dropped the Bounce option in Lion.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:00 AM   #13
imahawki
macrumors 6502a

New mail app is 1,000x better than the old one. Was just looking for a 3rd party app when Lion came out. I love the new mail client.
imahawki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:44 AM   #14
gwsat
macrumors 68000

The new Mail 5.0 app's search function doesn't work, at least not for me. One of my dedicated mailboxes and a rule to match collects all email notifications from my public library telling me that book a I had reserved is ready for pickup. Heretofore, simply typing in part of the author's name would display every email for that author. That's important because several hundred emails are collected in that mailbox. Alas, the search function doesn't work anymore. I called Apple Care this morning and the tech agreed. He has submitted the problem as a bug report to Apple's engineers.

I didn't like Mail 5.0's new user interface, either, and reverted to the classic view. That helped but it didn't help enough.

Another problem I have had with Lion is that I have to force quit Chrome about two-thirds of the time. Apple has a lot of work to do on Lion.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:03 AM   #15
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Give it a chance. I hated it at first as it's rather different, and I was used to the SL app which worked fine.

Then I noticed the conversation organization and this alone is worth the price of admission.

It's much better than the old one. Just painful to adjust

Note: this is a rather substantial upgrade of OS X it seems. There are a lot of cool features, many I haven't noticed. We are creatures of habit, and change is usually unwelcome, and we often resent the thought of others changing things 'for our own good'. We are suspicious of intentions, and motivations, but mostly it's the work involved. Have you noticed that I just like to hear myself talk and am saying absolutely nothing?
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:25 PM   #16
NurJahan
macrumors member

Does anyone know how I can make the mail truly "conversation style" like in Gmail? i.e. with the emails I wrote included in the flow? Kind of like a chat window, so that I can see what I wrote, and how people responded back to me?

Thanks
NurJahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:00 PM   #17
revelated
macrumors 6502a

I don't have an issue with the new layout, rather indifferent actually. It does look like iPad based mail. But I think it really depends on how you use Mail.

For me, I always like the list of folders to show up, even if I never actually go into them. This is because it's natural for me to see the folder list; all webmail apps that I've ever used have shown them, and Outlook does as well. So hiding it by default was a little annoying, showing them again put me back at ease.

"Smart Names" or whatever is also troublesome, I made sure to disable that when I first loaded it. I like to see name and email because unfortunately, if you just show names, you can't really tell whether it's a valid sender or not. It might say "Chase Online" but really be coming from some guy in Africa.

Lastly, I like to see all recipients, To/CC, without having to request that info. So I enabled that.

Ultimately, it's mail. Doesn't have to be fancy. For times when I need more out of it I'll just go to Gmail until they bring back offline Gmail.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Peter Harrison
macrumors 6502a

I'm really surprised much I like it in fullscreen. I've been put off by fullscreen thanks to Apple's previous efforts with apps on Snow Leopard (iPhoto, Aperture etc) but the native fullscreen on Lion is awesome. I love having the whole screen for my Mail and just swiping across to it when I need to.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:14 PM   #19
AC Rempt
macrumors 6502

My biggest problem with the new mail is my inability to change the size of the font in the column that lists what's in my inbox. I can do that in the classic mode, so with some regrets, I've gone back to that. I'd love to be able to use the new mail, but that font is too small for me.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:57 PM   #20
kchase2
macrumors newbie

Totally in agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymhs View Post
I think this is the worst email client Apple has ever produced...they assume so much...and if you do that then at least give us the ability to customize freely the way we want it...this is Apple being Microsoftish...your Macers are loyal..give them what they really want
kchase2 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:01 PM   #21
striker33
macrumors 65816

Not sure why your posting about Mail in an Air forum, but meh.

I do agree though. It is just as awful as the previous version.

Outlook 2011 is easily the better email client on Mac. Wasn't too great at first, but since all the updates its much more stable.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:03 PM   #22
solowmodel
macrumors 6502

I love the new Mail app.
solowmodel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:49 PM   #23
gwsat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchase2 View Post
I think this is the worst email client Apple has ever produced...they assume so much...and if you do that then at least give us the ability to customize freely the way we want it...this is Apple being Microsoftish...your Macers are loyal..give them what they really want
I agree. See my earlier post, No. 14. The search function in the new mail app doesn't work.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:54 PM   #24
Booch21
macrumors member

Call it strange, but on the iPad, I can deal with the mail in that setup, but on the Mac, it is harder to work with for me. I went to classic mode, which is how all of my computer based e-mail programs look, Outlook at work included. I do notice that the conversation feature still works in classic mode. Use what works for you!
Booch21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:12 PM   #25
FieldingMellish
macrumors 65816

I'm still learning Mail and am forced to use it due to Lion not supporting my 2004 version Entourage.
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air