Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1
bp1000
macrumors 65816

LG Panel owners - calibrate your screens

If i'm honest i never really had an issue with my laptop until i saw the thread about what display do you have. It did bring back memories of my initial thoughts when seeing the screen. I thought it looked slightly lacking in contrast.

I calibrated it there and then, the basic calibration wasn't sufficient so i did an expert calibration and found each step to be out, i correct them as per the instruction and now i feel i have much better contrast.

Try it and see if you feel the same.

I dont understand people claiming the LG panel is inferior, it looks pretty good to me. Better after calibration, and it makes sense that if apple are using 2 slightly different panels their default calibration isn't going to spot on for both.

//update
Here is my calibration file : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23758534/Exp...brated%205.icc

Last edited by bp1000; Aug 1, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
bp1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
If i'm honest i never really had an issue with my laptop until i saw the thread about what display do you have. It did bring back memories of my initial thoughts when seeing the screen. I thought it looked slightly lacking in contrast.

I calibrated it there and then, the basic calibration wasn't sufficient so i did an expert calibration and found each step to be out, i correct them as per the instruction and now i feel i have much better contrast.

Try it and see if you feel the same.

I dont understand people claiming the LG panel is inferior, it looks pretty good to me. Better after calibration, and it makes sense that if apple are using 2 slightly different panels their default calibration isn't going to spot on for both.
Would you mind posting your results?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:10 AM   #3
johnc22
macrumors regular

What site/software did you use for calibration? I also have the LG panel.
johnc22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:35 AM   #4
bp1000
macrumors 65816

To calibrate just press alt+f2

Then switch to the colour tab, then click calibrate, follow the steps in expert mode, taking care with each step

I'm not sure how to post the calibration of each step in one image, it does give a summary screen after calibration but i can't return to that screen.

Here is my calibration file - you can load it using the instructions above and clicking open from the menu in the colour options.
updated: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23758534/Exp...brated%205.icc

But it is always best to complete the calibration yourself for your screen.

My results are a better temperature, less warm, more definition between greys and better contrast which is obvious just from the menu bars and the desktop image.

With 40 - 60% brightness which is my typical brightness i don't have viewing angle issues until the reflections affect the contrast.

Last edited by bp1000; Aug 1, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
To calibrate just press alt+f2

Then switch to the colour tab, then click calibrate, follow the steps in expert mode, taking care with each step

I'm not sure how to post the calibration of each step in one image, it does give a summary screen after calibration but i can't return to that screen.

Here is my calibration file - you can load it using the instructions above and clicking open from the menu in the colour options.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cw6te74gmusy6y7

But it is always best to complete the calibration yourself for your screen.

My results are a better temperature, less warm, more definition between greys and better contrast which is obvious just from the menu bars and the desktop image.

With 40 - 60% brightness which is my typical brightness i don't have viewing angle issues until the reflections affect the contrast.

Are you able to see the full range of this test pattern
without reds and greens on the high end clipping?
(Scroll left and right as needed...)

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:18 AM   #6
bp1000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
Are you able to see the full range of this test pattern
without reds and greens on the high end clipping?
(Scroll left and right as needed...)

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original
Yes the farthest 2 blocks on the red and green channels are clipping

Although the colour reproduction and contrast is vastly improved with the custom calibration.

Do Samsung screens hold the definition in the red and green channels?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 AM   #7
OSMac
macrumors 65816

I'd like to try your profile to compare,
I managed to open it but can't seem to add it to the list of profiles to select?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:28 AM   #8
bp1000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'd like to try your profile to compare,
I managed to open it but can't seem to add it to the list of profiles to select?
You should be able to get it imported by getting to the colour tab, press open profile, then in the menu see the colour sync utility appear, click file, open, browse to the file.

This should do it
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:44 AM   #9
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Got it running copied it to /Library/ColorSync/Displays directory.

Does provide more contrast indeed,
darks are deeper, but 2.2 gamma seems off compared to the original icc?
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/94930126/original

My clipping is 4 bars red, 3 green.

Think I'll make a trip to the Apple store and try the patterns on some of the demo models hopefully one is a Samsung.

Just love the i5 13" hate to have to exchange it trying to find a Samsung display, but the display is important to me.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:51 AM   #10
johnc22
macrumors regular

Because the contrast varies wildly based on the angle of the screen I opened it as wide as possible (where the contrast is the best out of the box, IMO) to do the calibration.

I only touched the left-hand sliders as I felt like my eyes kept tricking me on true grey - I probably need a grey card or something to be sure what I'm doing.

My end result looks a little cool (blue-ish) so I may give it another go.

It does seem to improve overall contrast.
johnc22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:01 AM   #11
bp1000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc22 View Post
Because the contrast varies wildly based on the angle of the screen I opened it as wide as possible (where the contrast is the best out of the box, IMO) to do the calibration.

I only touched the left-hand sliders as I felt like my eyes kept tricking me on true grey - I probably need a grey card or something to be sure what I'm doing.

My end result looks a little cool (blue-ish) so I may give it another go.

It does seem to improve overall contrast.
The default colour temperature is very warm and has an almost brownish cast.

So after calibration it can look a bit cool in colour but keep playing, it took 2 goes to tweak fully for me too.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:17 PM   #12
ghsNick
macrumors 65816

I downloaded what you posted for calibration...but I can't use it (I saw what the other kid posted but couldn't use it)...how do I import it so I can try it?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:13 PM   #13
sjshaw
macrumors regular

Thanks for this. I loaded your calibration file and the "coolness" was startling, but would be nice with a bit of tweaking, I believe.
sjshaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:50 PM   #14
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

If you think that made a difference, and you are obsessive, try supercal.

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:33 PM   #15
baxtr
macrumors newbie

Give this one a try, I spent some time trying to get it just right.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12013/LG%20Calibrated.icc
baxtr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:43 PM   #16
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Got it running copied it to /Library/ColorSync/Displays directory.

Does provide more contrast indeed,
darks are deeper, but 2.2 gamma seems off compared to the original icc?
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/94930126/original

My clipping is 4 bars red, 3 green.

Think I'll make a trip to the Apple store and try the patterns on some of the demo models hopefully one is a Samsung.

Just love the i5 13" hate to have to exchange it trying to find a Samsung display, but the display is important to me.
To check what display model it is type the following in terminal

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LT = samsung
LP = LG
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:57 PM   #17
baxtr
macrumors newbie

I ended up getting really good results with supercal on my Macbook Air 2011 13" with the LG display, let me know what you think. Enjoy.

http://db.tt/rWs0sny
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:42 PM   #18
eba
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtr View Post
I ended up getting really good results with supercal on my Macbook Air 2011 13" with the LG display, let me know what you think. Enjoy.

I like it. And I have a Samsung panel.
eba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:05 PM   #19
baxtr
macrumors newbie

I'm surprised it looks good with the Samsung display. It really works well with the LG. If you have the Samsung, I recommend using Supercal to make a new profile for your Samsung.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:50 PM   #20
justywusty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtr View Post

waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too blue/cold.

this one i found on an old thread for the exact same display in the new airs with LG. it's pretty much bang on according to my eyes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7269253/CustomMacRumors.icc
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:56 PM   #21
bp1000
macrumors 65816

Please download and run the supercal tool, it is easily better then the built in calibration.

Do the full test too.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:25 PM   #22
PaulWog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Please download and run the supercal tool, it is easily better then the built in calibration.

Do the full test too.
I found running through the free version I ended up getting different results... but not really better results.

I find turning my contrast up via the "Universal Access" in system preferences (just a smudge up) gives better color but it's artificial.

I wish there were a way to maintain the colour accuracy but give some more saturation/depth.
PaulWog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:51 PM   #23
shawnmac
macrumors member

When trying to move these .icc files into /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays it prompts for the user password saying that Finder wants to make changes. Is this normal? Seems like it would be, but I'm relatively new to the mac world so I wanted to make sure since these .icc files are being downloaded from the internet and it seems like they are being pasted outside of the user account so want to make sure they are safe.

thanks
shawnmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:00 PM   #24
justywusty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmac View Post
When trying to move these .icc files into /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays it prompts for the user password saying that Finder wants to make changes. Is this normal? Seems like it would be, but I'm relatively new to the mac world so I wanted to make sure since these .icc files are being downloaded from the internet and it seems like they are being pasted outside of the user account so want to make sure they are safe.

thanks
yes...because you're not supposed to be poking in that folder if you're a typical user. it's just warning you.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:01 PM   #25
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post
waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too blue/cold.

this one i found on an old thread for the exact same display in the new airs with LG. it's pretty much bang on according to my eyes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7269253/CustomMacRumors.icc
Just used this one. Out of all the profiles on this page, the one linked above works the best for me.
dibara2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air