Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goombamd

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Not sure if this is a "security feature" but when I turn on my mac, it doesn't automatically connect to the internet. I have to type in my keychain password and it still doesn't connect. Once I go to the wifi menu bar at the top right and click on my wireless network, then it connects. Kinda annoying. Any way to make it connect automatically on the HOME network?

May 8, 2008
Not sure if this is a "security feature" but when I turn on my mac, it doesn't automatically connect to the internet. I have to type in my keychain password and it still doesn't connect. Once I go to the wifi menu bar at the top right and click on my wireless network, then it connects. Kinda annoying. Any way to make it connect automatically on the HOME network?

Sounds like a problem on your end.

When I installed Lion I didn't encounter that problem. It recognized my wifi network immediately and connected. I didn't have to select my network and enter my password

saguakid

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
My iMac does not stay connect to wifi when computer goes to sleep,my macbook pro is ok,so when i wake it up then look for my wifi,how could i fix this

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Actually it looks a little like a bug. We have noticed on our two macs that the internet will connect automatically and sometimes we have to manually do it.

eddie832

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
My iMac was not connecting to Wi-Fi automatically when waking from sleep. Going to the Energy Saver preferences and checking "Wake for network access" seems to have fixed this for me.

It's worth noting that my Macbook air does not have this problem. And "Wake for Wi-Fi network access" was checked by default.

UPDATE: The iMac fix I described above is not working, my iMac still won't connect to wifi after waking from sleep.

Last edited:

i.lilly

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
The same thing is happening to me too! I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro. I never had a problem with auto connecting to my wifi network when I was running Snow Leopard. Any advice? It does not appear to be a network problem as the other computers in the house are able to auto connect (including one running lion).

adityanag

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Same Problem

2009 Macbook Pro, same problem. Never had an issue with Snow Leopard, and the other Macbook in the house (Snow Leopard), as well as a Windows laptop, and sundry phones have no issues.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
New macbook air 13, same problem. Won't automatically connect, often the first time I point it at my network it has a timeout error, then the second time it goes through.
Same on every other network too.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
2009 Macbook Pro, same problem. Never had an issue with Snow Leopard, and the other Macbook in the house (Snow Leopard), as well as a Windows laptop, and sundry phones have no issues.
2009 17" MacBook Pro. No problems at all. Your problem is not generic to Lion. This means that the problem is specific to either your computer or to your Wi-Fi network. Do you have a clue what that is?

adityanag

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
2009 17" MacBook Pro. No problems at all. Your problem is not generic to Lion. This means that the problem is specific to either your computer or to your Wi-Fi network. Do you have a clue what that is?

Nope. Everything was working fine till I installed Lion. No changes in the router config or anything else. The only variable that's changed is Lion.

I deleted all my wifi profiles, and all the saved passwords from Keychain, rebooted, and let it detect again. It seems to be working better now, but there are still a few hiccups. Let's see.

flyn01

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Lion no longer connects to preferred network

I had the same problem with "Lion" on my MacBook. I fixed it by:

Open "System Preferences"
Select "Advanced"
Select the "Wi-Fi" tab
Search for your preferred network and drag it to the top of the preferred network list.

I deleted all the others from the many networks I've joined on my travels.

Worked like a champ.

cibergatox

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
Costa Rica
Mid 2011 15" MBP Didn't connect immediately after waking while running Lion... So I tried this suggestion:

I had the same problem with "Lion" on my MacBook. I fixed it by:

Open "System Preferences"
Select "Advanced"
Select the "Wi-Fi" tab
Search for your preferred network and drag it to the top of the preferred network list.

I deleted all the others from the many networks I've joined on my travels.

Worked like a champ.

I deleted some networks I never use, and I got connected like it did while running SL 10.6.8

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Still having the issue of it not coming back quickly after it has been put to sleep. I only have one network on the system...

Very buggy to say the least.

BostonBrawler

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
It is definitely a Lion issue. Noticed it on my 2010 MBP17 after install, and new 13Air I got last week. Doesnt happen all the time, but mostly when I go into a new network area on my air.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Yup, my new Air will not connect automatically from sleep. I have tried all the usuall fixes, seems to be a lion bug. I haven't had this issue since Tiger.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Another thing you may find odd (or I did) was the transmit rate was decreased (or reported as decreased) by 30-50 on Lion vs. SL.

On Lion, my home wifi transmit rate was 270, and on SL it is 300.

Not sure if this has anything to do or help you on, but you can check your distance, and transmit rates to put that in your mix. (btw, hit option +click your wifi menu in toolbar)

FWIW

alpineraven

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
I have the same problem with my MacBook late 2009 (Snow Leopard was perfect but Lion nah), obviously its a bug - it doesnt automatically connect to WIFI network and its a pain because I go approx 4-5 different WIFI networks including iPhone - Used to automatically connect after wake - now it doesnt - have to click on WIFI menu to get it connected... Annoying that have to do that. Also I do have timeout connection issues too.
Cheers
AP

mike21190

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm having a similar problem. My 2011 MBA connects to wifi without a problem after in sleep mode, but randomly as I'm using Safari pages stop loading. I check istat and there is nothing going in or out on the network at these times. I have to turn wifi off and on to get them to load again. It's happens quite often. Are you guys having this problem as well?

jornalero

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Disconnect Time Machine Drive

Found this temporary solution on another blog.

I turned off Time Machine and disconnected my USB Time Machine backup drive. Had to do both. Now I have no problem staying connected to the Internet via WiFi and Lion.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
From the MacPro forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1202229/

In a fresh install of Lion 10.7(or upgrade from 10.6.8), after a wake from sleep,

Both Ethernet ports on the MacPro have about a 45 second delay before they initialize and become active....

After thinking it was a hardware issue, I've verified this doesn't happen on 10.6.8.

Details from the console:

7/30/11 10:35:48.000 AM kernel: 00000000 00000000 Intel82574L::timeoutHandler - has to reset the chipset once since there is still no link for the workaround

7/30/11 10:36:13.000 AM kernel: Ethernet [Intel82574L]: Link up on en0, 1-Gigabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,af08,0c01,0200,cde1,3c00]

littlebudha

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
I was also having the same problem after installing Lion on my MacBook Pro. After turning off Time capsule, it works flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.