Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
kevin222
macrumors member

Restore Lion to factory/wipe all data

I upgraded my macbook pro to Lion and then decided to buy a new Air and sell the Pro. How can I safely wipe everything off my pro and get Lion back to complete factory settings? Typically I would just use the recovery disc but we all know that's not possible anymore. I was reading about the built in recovery mode of Lion (command + R on boot up) - will this allow me to reinstall Lion and wipe everything? From the way I read, it may just reinstall Lion, leaving all my stuff/settings still here. Any help would be appreciated!
kevin222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Bill Gates
macrumors 68020

Open Disk Utility from the restore partition and reformat the Lion partition first.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
kevin222
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates View Post
Open Disk Utility from the restore partition and reformat the Lion partition first.
How do I do that, restart in recovery mode?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:45 PM   #4
steveoc
macrumors regular

You could make a clean install of Snow Leopard reformatting the drive then install Lion over it.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:11 PM   #5
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Can't you just hold option while restarting?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6
kevin222
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoc View Post
You could make a clean install of Snow Leopard reformatting the drive then install Lion over it.
I was considering this, but my goal was to put it back to an "out of the box" state. If I do this, I would have to actually log into the computer for the first time after reinstalling, enter my credentials back at the Mac App store etc. I'd just like to just wipe it all and then shove it back in the box with a fresh version of Lion on it if possible...Can that be done using the recovery mode do you know?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:42 PM   #7
mmduluth
macrumors regular

Download Lion again and burn it to a DVD and restore using that.
mmduluth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Restart the computer holding +R. Choose the option relating to Disk Utility and erase the Macintosh HD. Close Disk Utility and from the list of options, reinstall Lion.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:38 PM   #9
kevin222
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
Restart the computer holding +R. Choose the option relating to Disk Utility and erase the Macintosh HD. Close Disk Utility and from the list of options, reinstall Lion.
Oh that sounds like it will work - thanks! That will definitely get rid of everything, including settings, right?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:26 PM   #10
fritzsaam
macrumors newbie

Erase and reinstall Lion

Quote:
I searched for two days to find what you offered in two sentences! Your 'erase and reinstall' procedure worked flawlessly. Many thanks
fritzsaam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
StrollerEd
macrumors newbie

just read this thread with interest as I have similar problem to solve I think.

I have bought the 2011 mba and using the Migration Assistant I tried to transfer everything from my 2009 mba. It took a while using my domestic wifi but somewhere I took a wrong turning and have ended up with two accounts on my 2011 mba, one including the stuff from the 2009 mba, and I dont seem to be able to access one from another.

Talking things through with a colleagues we thought about

a) copying all new files that I have created since I have had the 2011mba
b) using this procedure just described.
c) re-trying the Migration Assistant and making sure that I do it right this time.

Any flaws in the above - even if I dont know where I went wrong last time?
StrollerEd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:23 AM   #12
ybhco
macrumors newbie

Question re: formatting hard drive

Hi folks, I followed the steps above, but I'm still confused. On the SuperDrive screen where I'm trying to delete the drives, I've got "320.07 GB Hitachi..." and a subheading "Macintosh HD." I deleted the "Macintosh HD," and it's grayed out now, but the heading is still there.

It also lists "disc2" with a subheading "Mac OS X Base System." Should I delete this as well?

I'm handing over a Macbook Pro to a co-worker (I got a new one) and need all of my data deleted and the system restored to factory settings. Sorry to be a n00b. Can anyone help?

mp
ybhco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:57 PM   #13
blackbrant
macrumors newbie

option + R no worky

Ok, so I already deleted the Lion .dmg file so I can't rip a disc, and I tried reformatting clean installing leopard and Lion does not allow this. I've tried to option + R and it brings me to a grey screen with a password prompt (before the apple logo appears)...what gives?
blackbrant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:52 PM   #14
alexstrider18
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybhco View Post
Hi folks, I followed the steps above, but I'm still confused. On the SuperDrive screen where I'm trying to delete the drives, I've got "320.07 GB Hitachi..." and a subheading "Macintosh HD." I deleted the "Macintosh HD," and it's grayed out now, but the heading is still there.

It also lists "disc2" with a subheading "Mac OS X Base System." Should I delete this as well?

I'm handing over a Macbook Pro to a co-worker (I got a new one) and need all of my data deleted and the system restored to factory settings. Sorry to be a n00b. Can anyone help?

mp
so did you ever get an answer for that question ,.

I restored a new replaced mbp , that i got due to soo many faults with the old machine,.. and i think i brought some of the old probs into the new machine when i did a restore from my time machine ,. :-/ ,.. I've 15 GB of GHOST data in the folders on the backup ,.. cleaned that up,. fixed iMovie,and iPhoto,.. did a full system restore ,.. command=r ,disk utility erase mac HD ,.... quit that and do a full lion iOS reinstall ,. twice now ,.. and no joy,.. was afraid to delete the "Mac OS X Base System" ?? love some advice
alexstrider18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:15 AM   #15
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I am having trouble with my iMac, and I tried to erase the Mac HD using Disk Utility, but it says it cannot. It instructed me to reformat the drive and then restore a backup.

My question is this: how do I initiate a reformat? It is not an option under Disk Utility. TIA.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Poimetheus
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Horse ****

The whole concept is utter bull ****. Why does such a simple task have to be so damn Cantankerous?! I should be able to put whatever OSX version I please into any hardware and perform an install. Apple thinks everyone should have their "latest and greatest" and upgrade when appropriate; so **** compatibility and anything else we might want to do with it. I will NEVER own fascist technology.
Poimetheus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:39 PM   #17
Pacwell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimetheus View Post
The whole concept is utter bull ****. Why does such a simple task have to be so damn Cantankerous?! I should be able to put whatever OSX version I please into any hardware and perform an install. Apple thinks everyone should have their "latest and greatest" and upgrade when appropriate; so **** compatibility and anything else we might want to do with it. I will NEVER own fascist technology.
Good lord. No need for such anger.
Pacwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Shade12
macrumors regular

Quote:
hey i bought a imac it has mac 10.6.8 and i want to restore it and erase all data how can i do that can you help me ?
Shade12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:11 PM   #19
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade12 View Post
hey i bought a imac it has mac 10.6.8 and i want to restore it and erase all data how can i do that can you help me ?
Reinstalling Mac OS X 10.6.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Shade12
macrumors regular

Quote:
but i dont have the cd can i do it without it ?

----------

Quote:
is apple logo means command ?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:26 AM   #21
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

If the seller did not give you discs, you'll need to purchase replacements provided they can still be acquired. If yours is a computer that shipped with 10.6, you need the gray discs specific for that model. If the Mac was upgraded to 10.6 a retail copy of 10.6 will do nicely. To see whether your Mac shipped with 10.6 or earlier, take a look at this.

And yes, the and Command keys are one and the same.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Shade12
macrumors regular

Thanks for respond I bought cd for Mac 10.6.8 I think I erased the hard drive cuz when I turn Mac on a folder comes up with a question mark on it can you please send me link or instructions how to erase hard drive and reinstall Mac so I have fresh Mac. Nothing on it. Thanks. Cuz I bought used.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Aryababa
macrumors newbie

Folder with question mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade12 View Post
Thanks for respond I bought cd for Mac 10.6.8 I think I erased the hard drive cuz when I turn Mac on a folder comes up with a question mark on it can you please send me link or instructions how to erase hard drive and reinstall Mac so I have fresh Mac. Nothing on it. Thanks. Cuz I bought used.
Hey, I am i the EXACT same boat as you. Got the folder with the question mark! Except what I did before I got the question mark was completely erase the hard drive via the COMMAND + R key (right as you turn on the computer). I am returning my mac back to the online store and wanted to do a clean erase myself.

So it seems like you erased it yourself. What you need to do is restart your computer and hold down those buttons mentioned above. Hold them until you see a dark ashy gray screen (almost black) and then release the keys. The menu will pop up saying you can 1) restore from a time machine backup 2) restore lion from the .dmg thats saved in the computer automatically 3) (forgot what this one was) and 4) use disk utility to format/erase a hdd.

If you want a clean install of lion, select the restore from lion option! Make sure your computer is hooked up with an internet cable as it will need to verify the computer with apple servers and voila. Hope this helps.
Aryababa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:35 PM   #24
jenz
macrumors newbie

I'm gonna try to do that, I sold my iMac today and I need to ship it tomorrow.

Quote:
jenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 01:20 PM   #25
mspomer
macrumors newbie

Guess I need help after reading through.

I'm selling a mackbook pro (late 2008) and want to wipe and have as though the buyer just bought.

Problem is I have the original disk, but no cd/dvd (as it has been replaced by a data doubler and 2nd hard drive).

Can anyone tell me how to wipe and reset to factory lion default?

Thanks.
mspomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion