Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Why does the YouTube app for iOS suck so much? Videos take forever to load or else they often just stop loading at random points. Same thing for my iPhone and iPad with the YouTube app. I'm able to download other large files very quickly, except when it comes to YouTube.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Are you running it on 3G? Mine works fine but I'm always connected to fast Wifi

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
The YouTube app does suck. No matter what connection you're on. Some people may not experience issues though, but a lot of people do. I swear Google is trying to make it suck, giving Android an edge ;O lol. Seriously though, the Android app never gave me problems like this.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
The YouTube app does suck. No matter what connection you're on. Some people may not experience issues though, but a lot of people do. I swear Google is trying to make it suck, giving Android an edge ;O lol. Seriously though, the Android app never gave me problems like this.

Mine works just fine as well.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm glad not everyone has issues, but I've read about many people having the same experiences as me. Sometimes 60 second videos take minutes to load. Sometimes videos load and then completely stop altogether.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I have the same issues with mine too. They really need to sort it out. I recently bought a new router and had new ADSL sockets and wiring put in my house and hoped that it would help but it still takes an age to load HD videos (with a 5Mb connection) and they still randomly stop loading for no reason.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My wife and I usually watch a Netflix movie on my wifi iPad by the San Diego bay in Coronado on date nights, but for some reason, we were watching silly song cover vids on the YouTube app and couldn't stop laughing some of the youtubers. The videos loaded fast, and was very clear on my wifi iPad. The location also has very good Verizon 4G LTE signal, so I think it has to do with the internet connection. There was one YouTube HD video that I was trying to watch in the car, on the way to Coronado, on a 3G signal... and the YouTube video stalled badly... and wouldn't load. When we got to the Bay, the same YouTube video played with no stalls and was very clear on 4G LTE. I can't be certain if it's iOS, but video's seem to be fine if my internet connection fast.

Cooolpenner

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
The YouTube app just sucks! Can't watch a video without problems. If I watch it on my computer or on Safari it'll work fine, no laggin', no loading times...

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011

I think the YouTube app is developed by Apple. Like the map application.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
I think the YouTube app is developed by Apple. Like the map application.

Not sure who developed the YouTube app, but the Map is licensed from Google not developed by Apple.
Check out the Terms of Use, the copyright belongs to Google.

My ipad 2 YouTube app works fine on both WIFI and 3G.

Last edited:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
My wife and I usually watch a Netflix movie on my wifi iPad by the San Diego bay in Coronado on date nights, but for some reason, we were watching silly song cover vids on the YouTube app and couldn't stop laughing some of the youtubers. The videos loaded fast, and was very clear on my wifi iPad. The location also has very good Verizon 4G LTE signal, so I think it has to do with the internet connection. There was one YouTube HD video that I was trying to watch in the car, on the way to Coronado, on a 3G signal... and the YouTube video stalled badly... and wouldn't load. When we got to the Bay, the same YouTube video played with no stalls and was very clear on 4G LTE. I can't be certain if it's iOS, but video's seem to be fine if my internet connection fast.

My internet connection is 20mbs. I can stream Netflix on my iPad without any lag, but a You Tube video that is 30 seconds long needs to pause twice for loading...and that's IF it loads. By the way, I'm only referring to watching video via my WIFI at home, not talking about 3G.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 5.01.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 5.01.56 PM.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 232

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My internet connection is 20mbs. I can stream Netflix on my iPad without any lag, but a You Tube video that is 30 seconds long needs to pause twice for loading...and that's IF it loads. By the way, I'm only referring to watching video via my WIFI at home, not talking about 3G.

Sorry to hear that. I have no issues on home wifi either.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
Upgrade your router to wireless N and change the settings to accommodate wifi media streaming. Yes it works without the optimization, but all the complaints you have with YouTube should be solved.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
A solution that seems to work for many is to use Google's DNS servers on your iPad instead of your ISP's. Doing so has significantly increased YouTube's performance on my iOS devices as well as on my Mac.

Perhaps my ISP just sucks (Verizon FiOS), but it's damn fast for everything else.

I know there are some downsides (i.e., Google potentially can track every URL you enter), but they do have speedy servers.

Google's DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Upgrade your router to wireless N and change the settings to accommodate wifi media streaming. Yes it works without the optimization, but all the complaints you have with YouTube should be solved.

Already have a wireless N that I bought a few months ago. Did you see my wireless speed I posted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.