Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
How long do people's Airs take to wake from sleep? It seems to me instant on is not instant at all. It takes anywhere from 2-3 seconds, and then for some reason, it takes like a second or two for the password dots (the encryption) to actually show up after I type in my password to log in.

What's the deal with that? Just fluff from Apple calling it Instant On, or are people's Air's truly waking up instantly -- meaning, when you pop the lid, the screen is up and running?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
My 2008 mbp took 2 seconds to display the lock screen.

From the demos I used, it's pretty fast when you don't have a lock screen.

PaulDoFish

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mine isn't password locked, but it still takes like 4 seconds after popping the lid before the trackpad is functional. I think Lion makes it worse. My sisters' 13 inch MBPs (Base Model. No SSD) from 2010 & 2011 on Snow Leopard wake up faster than my 2011 13 inch MBA with Lion...

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
marketing garbage

While it is marketing mostly, there is some truth in the fact that Lion isn't as "instant" as snow leopard was. Lion is noticeably longer to resume after a close on both my MacBook Pro and my new MacBook Air (compared to the old Air). Hopefully this is fixed in 10.7.1 :D

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
Just adding my 2 cents.

Times from opening of the lid to the time screen comes on...

1-2 Seconds: My 2010\128\4GB MBA 11" running Snow Leopard
4-7 Seconds: My 2011\128\4GB MBA 11" running Lion

Something definitely is different with these new models, unsure if it's Lion (as I'd installed Lion on my old model but didn't have it on for more than a day before upgrading to 2011 model, so unsure).... or the difference in hardware is causing the delay.

Either way, in best case scenarios, 4 seconds is what I'm getting, and that's certainly not "instant on" in any sense of the phrase.

Hopefully Apple will release an update to resolve this.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If only the 2005 version of yourselves could see you complaining now about boot time taking 4 seconds. Just don't start complaining about the 5hr battery life or they might flip!

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
If only the 2005 version of yourselves could see you complaining now about boot time taking 4 seconds. Just don't start complaining about the 5hr battery life or they might flip!

HAHA, yeah I know, lol.

Yeah, and imagine how the people who lived in the 1820s feel about not having a slave to plow their fields and wash their clothes. Progress is a good thing. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I encrypted my drive so I need to type in a password, but I have found that the login screen comes on within a second, and by the time I have entered my password my Wi-Fi connection is active. Have you tried rebooting at all? I have spent much of today getting my Boot Camp partition set up, so perhaps all the reboots helped, but for me "instant on" is still pretty instant.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
I encrypted my drive so I need to type in a password, but I have found that the login screen comes on within a second, and by the time I have entered my password my Wi-Fi connection is active. Have you tried rebooting at all? I have spent much of today getting my Boot Camp partition set up, so perhaps all the reboots helped, but for me "instant on" is still pretty instant.

Yeah and even on absolutely clean\fresh install, same thing.

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
It can be the new OS, the EFI Bios, or a combination of both... Perhaps it will get much snappier once the code is optimised.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
My only advice is the same advice I give to people experiencing slow startups. Copy and paste this into terminal ONE LINE AT A TIME.

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Restart and try then.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
My only advice is the same advice I give to people experiencing slow startups. Copy and paste this into terminal ONE LINE AT A TIME.

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Restart and try then.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot shortly.

Not sure if it's relevant, but it seems it's only an issue when opening from clamshell sleep. When it's just asleep sitting open, pressing a key wakes it almost instantly.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
My other weird problem with the "instant on" is that when I close the lid and sleep my MBA, when I resume in safari, my scrolling becomes jittery in the browser (tried it with firefox and the same thing happens). I have to restart the Mac to restore the smooth scrolling... anyone have an idea what might be wrong? :confused:

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
What I noticed is a delay after a hibernate. It's the same delay I noticed on my Intel SSD when it would wake up, in my MacBook Pro. That delay isn't there with the Samsung 470 that's in there now. What happens is, it takes a while for the screen to show, then it takes a bit for the mouse and keyboard to respond.

That said I'm wondering if the type of SSD you have in your Air affects your experience. Mine I believe is not a Samsung SSD.

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
It takes about 2-3 seconds for my 13" i5 with Lion to turn on and everything is super fast and smooth - no jitter at all.

Ridiculously, the only thing I have to compare is my 2009 i7 Dell that takes 15+min to startup, so to me it's INSTANT on. It's all relative.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Post-Lion my 2010 13" MBA seems a little laggy. The slightly slow wake up and sleep is one symptom that has been bothering me since the upgrade. I "think" things are getting better as the system settles down, but that could also just be me getting used to the lagginess.

I remember when I first got my MBA with Snow Leopard last Fall, it was very responsive. The way it behaves now reminds me of the days when I installed upgrades on Windows. The performance degradation was so obvious that I vowed to always do clean installs of Windows.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

My imac i never put to sleep just the display sleeps but for some reason in lion to get the display to wake i need to click the mouse instead of just moving it. Also my magicjack crashes multiple times a day which is very irritating. It seems more developers dont update their software during the beta period than those that do

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
My imac i never put to sleep just the display sleeps but for some reason in lion to get the display to wake i need to click the mouse instead of just moving it. Also my magicjack crashes multiple times a day which is very irritating. It seems more developers dont update their software during the beta period than those that do

Yeah I have that issue too, I used to be able to move my mouse and wake the computer, not anymore :-(

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
It's not a hardware issue, it's Lion.

Apple may have slapped a "GM" tag on it, but its still very much a paid beta.

Expect the issues to be fixed in 10.7.1, and I'd imagine they'll be pretty quick with releasing it.

Tbh the main bug I'm bothered about is being able to disable four finger swipe for spaces again :(

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I have that issue too, I used to be able to move my mouse and wake the computer, not anymore :-(

I'm actually grateful for this. Used to hate nudging my desk just a tiny bit and my Mac screen would wake.

Would be useful if they added an option to toggle it on and off though.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
I'm actually grateful for this. Used to hate nudging my desk just a tiny bit and my Mac screen would wake.

Would be useful if they added an option to toggle it on and off though.

Yeah, such an easy thing to add.

Kerber0s34

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I have a 2010 13" MBA with Lion installed. Mine wakes from sleep in only a second or two - basically by the time I open the lid and get my hands on the keyboard, its ready to go.

What are you guys doing in such a hurry that 4 seconds is too long? Are zombies breaking down your door, and you need to post your will on Facebook?

Slow down, stop and smell the roses!

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
I have a 2010 13" MBA with Lion installed. Mine wakes from sleep in only a second or two - basically by the time I open the lid and get my hands on the keyboard, its ready to go.

What are you guys doing in such a hurry that 4 seconds is too long? Are zombies breaking down your door, and you need to post your will on Facebook?

Slow down, stop and smell the roses!

yeah the 2010 models worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.