Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:23 PM   #1
onthecouchagain
Banned

Storage Space: what is "Other"

When checking out my "About THis Mac" section, under storage, I have over 13 gigs of "Other" which I can't account for. How would I discover what it might be? And it's def. not the system because it's 13 gigs of the 121 gigs (out of grand total of 128 GB).

THis is the new 13".
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:29 PM   #2
MattZani
macrumors 68020

I have 21Gb of Other! I'm guessing its all the system etc.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:34 PM   #3
mkelly
macrumors member

"Other" would include the operating system, any virtual-memory swap files on your drive, etc. In other words, "other" is all the stuff that enables your computer to operate.

Those virtual memory files can be large - usually the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine. For instance, my 2010 11" MBA has a 4.0 GB vm file in /private/var/vm/sleepimage.

Also, any application data files will appear under "Other". I use Parallels to run a few Windows programs, and my Windows virtual machine file is approximately 40 GB in size, which explains why my "Other" category shows up as 56 GB in size.
mkelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:02 PM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned

Hm, but isn't that what the discrepancy between the "usable" storage space and actual storage space is? Isn't that difference for the system and whatnot?

For example, I got the 128 GB, but only 121 GB is usable. Then I suppose my question is, what is taking up 7 GBs from 128 to 121?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:15 PM   #5
MattZani
macrumors 68020

It seems like the right amount for formatting, but from SL onwards it was counted correctly so a 128Gb drive would have 128Gb or usable space.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
sporadicMotion
macrumors 65816

Hidden built in Lion restore partition? I wasn't paying attention to the pre release lion stuff but I recall mention of apple implementing this on the new macs.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 09:42 AM   #7
allyjones17
macrumors newbie

Can you be rid of the partition?
allyjones17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

it's file extensions that aren't can't be categorized as movies,photo's,music, etc.

i had a large MKV file that I deleted and it brought "OTher" down because the OS didn't recognize it as a movie file.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 09:53 AM   #9
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
Hidden built in Lion restore partition? I wasn't paying attention to the pre release lion stuff but I recall mention of apple implementing this on the new macs.
More than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyjones17 View Post
Don't get rid of it, it's less than 700 mb, you will be glad you don't have to wait through a 4-5 hr reinstall later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
it's file extensions that aren't can't be categorized as movies,photo's,music, etc.

i had a large MKV file that I deleted and it brought "OTher" down because the OS didn't recognize it as a movie file.
Good call, it's still not a very accurate representation of what is taken.. if it only recognizes native file types :/
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Lord Appleseed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Don't. It's your only backup on the MB Air.
Lord Appleseed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Hm, but isn't that what the discrepancy between the "usable" storage space and actual storage space is? Isn't that difference for the system and whatnot?

For example, I got the 128 GB, but only 121 GB is usable. Then I suppose my question is, what is taking up 7 GBs from 128 to 121?
Part of the 7GB's is lost to the SSD for garbage collection.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:14 AM   #12
allyjones17
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

I have over 40GB in 'Other' on my 250GB MBP...what the heck could it be...??!!
allyjones17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:13 PM   #13
zulumonk
macrumors member

Large "Other"Amount

I'm also seeing a large portion of my SSD being taken by "Other" files. Does 48GB seem too much?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-08-13 at 1.10.12 PM.png
Views:	131
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	298874  
zulumonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:35 PM   #14
jsolares
macrumors 6502a

My virtual machines show up as other
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:40 PM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I have over 40GB in 'Other' on my 250GB MBP...what the heck could it be...??!!
Use Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see how space is being used on your drive.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:44 PM   #16
qwerf123
macrumors regular

I noticed this earlier, I've got 121Gb of other and can't rid off it even after indexing.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what it could be and getting rid of it?

I've tried programs suggested above and it doesn't help and AppleCare were useless
Otherwise thinking of reinstalling Lion
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:45 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerf123 View Post
I noticed this earlier, I've got 121Gb of other and can't rid off it even after indexing.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what it could be?
Otherwise thinking of reinstalling Lion
You're saying you used one of the apps I mentioned and they show the 121GB as "other"?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:52 PM   #18
qwerf123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You're saying you used one of the apps I mentioned and they show the 121GB as "other"?
No. Strangely, that app states I have about 100GB free but Mac OS fails to say the same and claims my HD is full in the 'about this mac' section and with constant reminders when I try to do anything

I've know for certain it can't be full so I am stumped with how to fix it.

Is there a feature like 'system restore' for windows on Macs so you can turn the computer back to previous settings/installations?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:56 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
No. Strangely, that app states I have about 100GB free but Mac OS fails to say the same and claims my HD is full in the 'about this mac' section and with constant reminders when I try to do anything
Have you emptied your Trash? Have you restarted your Mac?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:05 PM   #20
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I've know for certain it can't be full so I am stumped with how to fix it.

Is there a feature like 'system restore' for windows on Macs so you can turn the computer back to previous settings/installations?

Use Disk Utility to "Erase Free Space" that will probably fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind you can't use "Erase Free Space" on the new MacBook Air's.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:11 PM   #21
qwerf123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Have you emptied your Trash? Have you restarted your Mac?

Done this, restarted and allowed it to index but still nothing as changed. I am just gonna reinstall Lion i guess then.

Think I will try out the Lion Recovery Disc Assistant!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:49 PM   #22
babyblues197669
macrumors newbie

Storage files in "other"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelly View Post
"Other" would include the operating system, any virtual-memory swap files on your drive, etc. In other words, "other" is all the stuff that enables your computer to operate.

Those virtual memory files can be large - usually the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine. For instance, my 2010 11" MBA has a 4.0 GB vm file in /private/var/vm/sleepimage.

Also, any application data files will appear under "Other". I use Parallels to run a few Windows programs, and my Windows virtual machine file is approximately 40 GB in size, which explains why my "Other" category shows up as 56 GB in size.
my "other" is 81.69GB? is that normal? i have been trying to figure out what it is, why it's SO much, and how get more of my storage back?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 4.50.17 PM.png
Views:	49
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	349568  

Last edited by babyblues197669; Jul 24, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add a photo!
babyblues197669 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:59 PM   #23
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblues197669 View Post
my "other" is 81.69GB? is that normal? i have been trying to figure out what it is, why it's SO much, and how get more of my storage back?
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:37 PM   #24
babyblues197669
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
i dont use time machine (never have and it's off) and i tried to delete the sleepmage, but it just reappears? i am going to restart my macbook but this problem i have had probably since i updated to snow leopard? when you upgrade to a new operating system does it override the space the previous system used? or do i have to delete it manually? i will try the disk repair also! thank you SO much for helping me! as you can probably guess i am NOT a pro at this computer stuff! thank you again!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:54 PM   #25
babyblues197669
macrumors newbie

Quote:
i dont use time machine (never have and it's off) and i tried to delete the sleepmage, but it just reappears? i am going to restart my macbook but this problem i have had probably since i updated to snow leopard? when you upgrade to a new operating system does it override the space the previous system used? or do i have to delete it manually? i will try the disk repair also! thank you SO much for helping me! as you can probably guess i am NOT a pro at this computer stuff! thank you again! also how do i restart? should i back up first? or will it be safe and not delete anything?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air