Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:43 PM   #1
marrzie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
USA tax free weekend for online purchases??

So tax free weekend in the USA coming soon. Will they allow me to order on www.apple.com and get tax free as well? In North Carolina by the way.
marrzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
http://singleparents.about.com/od/ta...days/qt/NC.htm

There is the tax free law for NC. You are so lucky compared to a New Yorker like me. We only get tax breaks on things like clothing and shoes and who needs those? The computer will definitely qualify but I would still go buy from a physical retail store just in case to prevent all the hassle if they charge you tax online. You can still try it online though since you will see your total before you confirm the order, if they don't charge you tax then you are good to go.
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
marrzie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscurelight View Post
http://singleparents.about.com/od/ta...days/qt/NC.htm

There is the tax free law for NC. You are so lucky compared to a New Yorker like me. We only get tax breaks on things like clothing and shoes and who needs those? The computer will definitely qualify but I would still go buy from a physical retail store just in case to prevent all the hassle if they charge you tax online. You can still try it online though since you will see your total before you confirm the order, if they don't charge you tax then you are good to go.
Thanks a lot. I was only checking in case my local stores dont have the i7 model in stock.
marrzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:09 PM   #4
mrgossett
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I live in TN, and we have the tax-free weekend as well, with no tax on computers up to $1500. I bought my present Air online (a refurb 2008) from the Apple Store, and was not charged tax. You should be fine buying online if the purchase qualifies in NC.
mrgossett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:33 PM   #5
eckthroi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I bought mine on the 22nd- I live in Oklahoma and our tax day is the 5th of August which makes it land on day 14 from the day I purchased it. Can I get Apple to refund the tax?
eckthroi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckthroi View Post
I bought mine on the 22nd- I live in Oklahoma and our tax day is the 5th of August which makes it land on day 14 from the day I purchased it. Can I get Apple to refund the tax?
just to be safe you can return it on the 13th day and then buy another on the tax free day. that way you can be sure instead of finding out later that Apple won't refund it because it wasn't purchase on that exact day. Since technically you only qualify for tax exempt on the specified days you are doing a pretty big gamble.
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 PM   #7
eckthroi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscurelight View Post
just to be safe you can return it on the 13th day and then buy another on the tax free day. that way you can be sure instead of finding out later that Apple won't refund it because it wasn't purchase on that exact day. Since technically you only qualify for tax exempt on the specified days you are doing a pretty big gamble.
Ok- but I purchased it online and with Barclay financing- how does that factor into the return and then buy again scenario? What I also wonder is if someone has had any experience with getting the tax credited back by calling into Apple about it?
eckthroi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
I actually have no clue since I've never done financing anything other than a car or home, but its really just applying for a credit card right? If you return they'll just credit it back to your barclays card and you can use it again to purchase.
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Austin907
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgossett View Post
I live in TN, and we have the tax-free weekend as well, with no tax on computers up to $1500. I bought my present Air online (a refurb 2008) from the Apple Store, and was not charged tax. You should be fine buying online if the purchase qualifies in NC.
Did you go to the one at Green Hills in Nashville? I think I'll do the same but I want to know how crowded it got and if they ran out of stock.

Do you still get the printer rebate in stores?
Austin907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:53 PM   #10
munchies
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Forget tax free weekend. It's all about tax free all-year-long

Amazon.com: Apple MacBook Air MC968LL/A 11.6-Inch Laptop (NEWEST VERSION)

Although I think they do charge tax in WA.
munchies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:06 PM   #11
mrgossett
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin907 View Post
Did you go to the one at Green Hills in Nashville? I think I'll do the same but I want to know how crowded it got and if they ran out of stock.

Do you still get the printer rebate in stores?
I ordered my present Air online from the Apple Store in 2009, during the TN tax-free weekend in August. Mine's a refurb, and has been great. I've never been to the Apple Store in Nashville, but I've been to the one in Knoxville at West Town Mall many times, and it's always crowded. I don't know anything about the printer rebate.
mrgossett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:12 PM   #12
mrgossett
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchies View Post
Forget tax free weekend. It's all about tax free all-year-long

Amazon.com: Apple MacBook Air MC968LL/A 11.6-Inch Laptop (NEWEST VERSION)

Although I think they do charge tax in WA.
That's the only new model they have right now, and I think I'm going to go for the 13". According to their website, they charge sales tax in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, and Washington.
mrgossett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:17 PM   #13
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cary, NC
Going back to OP's original question - I think you can order online and get it tax free in NC. Seems like I remember that being the case in years past at least. I'm in the same situation but for a different reason, I just hate having the hassle of dealing with the stores on the tax free days.
wolfpackfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:06 PM   #14
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816
 
SPEEDwithJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckthroi View Post
I bought mine on the 22nd- I live in Oklahoma and our tax day is the 5th of August which makes it land on day 14 from the day I purchased it. Can I get Apple to refund the tax?
Are you sure computer purchases are included in Oklahoma's tax free day's sales tax exemptions?
__________________
Quite possibly the STUPIDEST & LAZIEST IDIOT at MacRumors.com with a lot of DUMB QUESTIONS!!!
Please kindly forgive me for my stupidity & ignorance if my comments/questions ever offend you!
SPEEDwithJJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:21 PM   #15
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDwithJJ View Post
Are you sure computer purchases are included in Oklahoma's tax free day's sales tax exemptions?
Computer purchases are not included in Oklahoma's tax free days

http://www.tax.ok.gov/stholiday.html

Only clothing and shoes under $100
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA / MBPr [13"] - Tax Free Weekend :( Dnix MacBook Air 14 Aug 4, 2013 10:47 AM
buy MBP on tax free weekend? sclawis300 MacBook Pro 2 Jul 27, 2013 03:40 PM
Price Advice: tax free weekend question for NC folks exchen83 Buying Tips and Advice 3 Aug 2, 2012 10:25 AM
Purchasing during tax free weekend Atemporal MacBook Air 2 Jul 17, 2012 11:31 AM
Tax free weekend? fedup flyer MacBook Air 21 Jun 24, 2012 11:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC