Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Hello there
I don’t know if this will sound to you inreresting but i thought i should write to tyoy informing of a case that involves my iphone4
Last year on August i got my iphone4 through ebay from a good rated seller factory sealed and was using it here in Greece without any problem. I paid through paypal by the way
After almost a year a strange thing happened. I thought i should extend my iPhones warranty so i went to the apple website and put my serial number and my apple id so the phone was linked to my account. Late i know but better late than never
At the end of the process i regretted and i stopped the process. After 8 hours or so i received an email from the US from a detective. Yes i know i thought yeah ok this is a spam
This person informed me that the apple product that i have was stolen from the apple factory
Again i thought this was a scam
This person though informed me of the product that i owned and he even provided me with the serial number!!!!i asked him where did he find my email address and he said he got it from apple.
The story continues of course with me trying to resolve the issue with ebay and paypal but without any success
To be honest i was very suprised with this especially when after soo long i now know that i have a stolen product. which from my end is legally purchased from ebay through paypal

I am not attaching the email of the detective in Colorado but if you wish i can
if anyone has any ideas what my next steps should be please do tel!
Thank you for your time

Last edited:

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
What does the detective want you to do and have you done it?

he wants to give him rhge details of the seller that igot the iPhone of
i informed him that ill have to speak with ebay and paypal first
which i did
there wasnt any solution if there could be any of course
ebay informed me that i could have returned the phone back to them in 48 days of the auction
but i linked the phone with my apple id just a few weeks ago just for the extension of the warranty so that was when i realised what has happened...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm inclined to think it's some sort of scam, depending on what the detective want you to do. Firstly, why wouldn't Apple contact you themselves and cut out the middleman, and secondly, why use a detective from Colorado. They don't manufacture anything there, nor are they based there.

Bottom line, find out what they want and don't give out any personal details.

EDIT: have they given you any substantial proof that they are who they say they are?

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
I'm inclined to think it's some sort of scam, depending on what the detective want you to do. Firstly, why wouldn't Apple contact you themselves and cut out the middleman, and secondly, why use a detective from Colorado. They don't manufacture anything there, nor are they based there.

yeah I agree with this

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008

EDIT: have they given you any substantial proof that they are who they say they are?

i just have their email with all their contact details whioch i can post here

Detective Tony Garza
Douglas County Sheriffs Office
4000 Justice Way
Castle Rock, Colorado 80109
Office: 303-784-7840
Fax: 303-688-4939

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Detective Tony Garza
4000 Justice Way

Not sure if this is the same person but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Garza
I think it would be best to contact Apple directly and inform them of the emails you have received. See what they advise you to do.

GoldMan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Europe
Thats why i hate eBay and Paypal because you have 30 days or something like that to make a inquiry and if you already leaved a positive feedback you cant do **** like i got scammed for a couple of weeks ago.

Once i bought a Polo from ralp lauren on ebay and the seller had descriped: 100% genuine and all that stuff (seller was from UK), after i recieved it i saw it was fake and the authentic dealership in Germany also confirmed it was fake

Paypal didnt help me, ebay didnt help me:mad:

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Hello there
I don’t know if this will sound to you inreresting but i thought i should write to tyoy informing of a case that involves my iphone4
Last year on August i got my iphone4 through ebay from a good rated seller factory sealed and was using it here in Greece without any problem. I paid through paypal by the way
After almost a year a strange thing happened. I thought i should extend my iPhones warranty so i went to the apple website and put my serial number and my apple id so the phone was linked to my account. Late i know but better late than never
At the end of the process i regretted and i stopped the process. After 8 hours or so i received an email from the US from a detective. Yes i know i thought yeah ok this is a spam
This person informed me that the apple product that i have was stolen from the apple factory
Again i thought this was a scam
This person though informed me of the product that i owned and he even provided me with the serial number!!!!i asked him where did he find my email address and he said he got it from apple.
The story continues of course with me trying to resolve the issue with ebay and paypal but without any success
To be honest i was very suprised with this especially when after soo long i now know that i have a stolen product. which from my end is legally purchased from ebay through paypal

I am not attaching the email of the detective in Colorado but if you wish i can
if anyone has any ideas what my next steps should be please do tel!
Thank you for your time

if you are not from the US or going to the US why should you care. They are not going to issue an international warrant for your arrest for a stolen iphone.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine

Detective Tony Garza
4000 Justice Way

If you like you can google douglas county sherrifs office directly and find the number.. and call them and see if there is such a person.. I think it is all ********.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
if you are not from the US or going to the US why should you care. They are not going to issue an international warrant for your arrest for a stolen iphone.

Lol, I didn't even think about that. Ignore them OP.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Also both phone numbers are Qwest land lines in Denver. Neither have ever been used on any documentation, so I can't get a subscriber without a subpoena, but they are not owned by Douglas County SO.

What email address is he using?

Carl Garza <CGarza@dcsheriff.net>
This is the email address

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine

confirmed bull, cmon man cant you sniff out rubbish on your own, I fear for you.. one day you are gonna get conned bad....

somewhere your info is being leaked... either the seller or somewhere, I would take extreme precautions. check your comp, reformat it, change your passwords for all your iphone related stuff. ebay/paypal... but not after ur sure ur comp doesnt have a some kind of bug...

No government organizations use .net accounts. Someone can tell me if I am wrong but...this is from personal experience.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011

Ok, apperantly the first time I was transfered to the wrong Douglas County SO :eek:

I rechecked, and verified his status. He is a detective for DCSO. I would just call him and see what info he is looking for.

RtodaAV

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
They wouldn't email you either....when you call there gonna have this look on their face :confused:

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
confirmed bull, cmon man cant you sniff out rubbish on your own, I fear for you.. one day you are gonna get conned bad....

somewhere your info is being leaked... either the seller or somewhere, I would take extreme precautions. check your comp, reformat it, change your passwords for all your iphone related stuff. ebay/paypal... but not after ur sure ur comp doesnt have a some kind of bug...

No government organizations use .net accounts. Someone can tell me if I am wrong but...this is from personal experience.

first of all
i wrote my story for anyone to see and to actually find out if there is anyone elseout there with a similarcase
i would appreciate if you stop being offendive
if ill be scammed in the future or in one day as u say...time will tell..dont say big words for yourself either
the only reason that i thought this wasnt a scam was that it had my serial number which noone had a apart from apple

i suppose you are much much smarter than me so sorry for writting down my story

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
He just wants to know who you got it from?

Tell him !

Who gives a crap?

Just don't give him any info about you.

If its a scam, I'm willing to bet this Fake detective's real identity is actually the guy who sold you the iPhone to begin with.:rolleyes:

Could be either, just be smart about it

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
He just wants to know who you got it from?

Tell him !

Who gives a crap?

Just don't give him any info about you.

If its a scam, I'm willing to bet this Fake detective's real identity is actually the guy who sold you the iPhone to begin with.:rolleyes:

Could be either, just be smart about it

thanx
ill definately speak with apple
after my firsts posts i saw some cheecky posts from some members...
im thinking how serious they wopuld have dealt with this if it was on their phones
cos judging from the repplies...noone knows if this is a scam on no!

yrrej

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
can't apple deactivate/brick the device if it was stolen from their factory?

it seems like a scam, but i'm interested to see it play out and see exactly what this guy wants from you...

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
can't apple deactivate/brick the device if it was stolen from their factory?

it seems like a scam, but i'm interested to see it play out and see exactly what this guy wants from you...

thats something that i thought as well
ill definately call apple and find out
i just dont seem to find the right depeartment and phone number for apple :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.