Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:08 PM   #101
miamialley
macrumors 68000
 
miamialley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Well wait, why are you trying to get rid of the phone? Why not keep it?
__________________
If you disagree with my post, you have to write a post in response. (because that's obviously better than seeing the number of vote downs on a post) Thanks MR!
miamialley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:56 AM   #102
maliu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Obviously they aren't after you. They are trolling for the big fish. The person who steals many devices from Apple. Glad you called and hope you can keep using your phone. The seller is in a bit of trouble from the sounds of things.
maliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:16 AM   #103
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMan View Post
Thats why i hate eBay and Paypal because you have 30 days or something like that to make a inquiry and if you already leaved a positive feedback you cant do **** like i got scammed for a couple of weeks ago.

Once i bought a Polo from ralp lauren on ebay and the seller had descriped: 100% genuine and all that stuff (seller was from UK), after i recieved it i saw it was fake and the authentic dealership in Germany also confirmed it was fake

Paypal didnt help me, ebay didnt help me
Ah but if you had looked closely you would have seen that Ralp Lauren is actually spelt wrongly and that would have been a clue to it being fake.

I bought a complete range of suitcases from Louiey Vuiton once for 7000 imagine how dissapointed I was when I found they were fakes.
wrkactjob is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:29 AM   #104
GreenApple29
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
update (to anyone who care of course!)
send email to ebay and paypal regarding the iPhone
Got a reply that i should have said this the 45 days of the auction!!!like i knew anything that time
im willing to continue this issue
first of al cos there are other victims involved cos the user sold more than 200+ advices over ebay
second, i didn't like ebay policy plus after that period they don't seem to care if the item you have from them via paypal is stolen
__________________
ApplemaniaGr
GreenApple29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:40 AM   #105
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Why is it that we have so many sheep in this forum ready to jump on the "SCAM!" bandwagon at the drop of a hat without truly looking at the facts?!

The OP or the detective obviously misspoke when they said this was a factory theft. More likely is that it was a theft from a retail location. Easiest way to dump these phones? Sell them internationally on eBay. Exactly what the theif did.

OP, I don't think you need to worry about the iPhone being blacklisted. It seems in the GSM world it's almost impossible to get phones blacklisted these days. Perhaps this is due to the sheer amount of carriers that would have to cooperate to accomplish the task with any amount of success. I'm glad you finally called the detective and got it cleared up though. I hope they nail this guy.

Go enjoy your phone and don't buy iPhones from eBay again if you can help it. Buy directly from Apple or the carrier. If the deal is too good to be true...it is.
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:44 AM   #106
GreenApple29
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Why is it that we have so many sheep in this forum ready to jump on the "SCAM!" bandwagon at the drop of a hat without truly looking at the facts?!

The OP or the detective obviously misspoke when they said this was a factory theft. More likely is that it was a theft from a retail location. Easiest way to dump these phones? Sell them internationally on eBay. Exactly what the theif did.

OP, I don't think you need to worry about the iPhone being blacklisted. It seems in the GSM world it's almost impossible to get phones blacklisted these days. Perhaps this is due to the sheer amount of carriers that would have to cooperate to accomplish the task with any amount of success. I'm glad you finally called the detective and got it cleared up though. I hope they nail this guy.

Go enjoy your phone and don't buy iPhones from eBay again if you can help it. Buy directly from Apple or the carrier. If the deal is too good to be true...it is.
hello and thanks!
the only reason i want a refund or a new phone is that in case i want to sell it..cos its an at and t network ill have to sell it back in the us
first of all i don't know if it will be legal
and second if the p[erson receiving this phone will be able to actually use it!
that is why now i have a serious argument with ebay and paypal
they need to be more careful and at least respect customers
well at least thats my opinion anyway
__________________
ApplemaniaGr
GreenApple29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:45 AM   #107
anush3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenApple29 View Post
update (to anyone who care of course!)
send email to ebay and paypal regarding the iPhone
Got a reply that i should have said this the 45 days of the auction!!!like i knew anything that time
im willing to continue this issue
first of al cos there are other victims involved cos the user sold more than 200+ advices over ebay
second, i didn't like ebay policy plus after that period they don't seem to care if the item you have from them via paypal is stolen
So now once it is confirmed that your iPhone is not flagged as stolen, why don't you want to keep it.
anush3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:47 AM   #108
GreenApple29
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by anush3 View Post
So now once it is confirmed that your iPhone is not flagged as stolen, why don't you want to keep it.
i will
I'm saying in the scenario that i would like to jump to iPhone 5 this fall
obviously ill sell this one to get the next
don't have that kind of money to afford having both!
__________________
ApplemaniaGr
GreenApple29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:47 AM   #109
Geckotek
macrumors G3
 
Geckotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenApple29 View Post
hello and thanks!
the only reason i want a refund or a new phone is that in case i want to sell it..cos its an at and t network ill have to sell it back in the us
first of all i don't know if it will be legal
and second if the p[erson receiving this phone will be able to actually use it!
that is why now i have a serious argument with ebay and paypal
they need to be more careful and at least respect customers
well at least thats my opinion anyway
I understand, but based on what I've seen...you won't get anywhere. eBay has always been and is even more so now a "buyer beware" mareketplace. I always assume that half of what I look at is fake or stolen.

But hey....it's worth trying. If they guy used paypal they may be able to reverse the charges if you are really lucky. Try getting a report of some sort from the detective and forwading that to PayPal.
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:56 AM   #110
GreenApple29
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
I understand, but based on what I've seen...you won't get anywhere. eBay has always been and is even more so now a "buyer beware" mareketplace. I always assume that half of what I look at is fake or stolen.

But hey....it's worth trying. If they guy used paypal they may be able to reverse the charges if you are really lucky. Try getting a report of some sort from the detective and forwading that to PayPal.
i will definitely try
im not new to ebay i have been there since day one..and these people know this...
ill try thats for sure
__________________
ApplemaniaGr
GreenApple29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:15 PM   #111
anush3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenApple29 View Post
i will
I'm saying in the scenario that i would like to jump to iPhone 5 this fall
obviously ill sell this one to get the next
don't have that kind of money to afford having both!
hmm..makes sense
anush3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:26 PM   #112
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Selling a stolen phone could be quite a challenge. If you announce that it has been stolen ...... well forget that.

If you don't announce it was stolen when the buyer goes to activate it and set up iTunes (like the OP did) an alarm may go off again notifying the police etc.

I think I would keep it until the authorities say otherwise.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:39 PM   #113
anush3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Selling a stolen phone could be quite a challenge. If you announce that it has been stolen ...... well forget that.

If you don't announce it was stolen when the buyer goes to activate it and set up iTunes (like the OP did) an alarm may go off again notifying the police etc.

I think I would keep it until the authorities say otherwise.
There won't be any problem.
The phone is not flagged as stolen, so there won't be any alarm.
OP had email just because the detective had interest in that serial number so Apple emailed detective once OP extended warranty.

OP were you able to successfully extend warranty?
anush3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:20 AM   #114
GreenApple29
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by anush3 View Post
There won't be any problem.
The phone is not flagged as stolen, so there won't be any alarm.
OP had email just because the detective had interest in that serial number so Apple emailed detective once OP extended warranty.

OP were you able to successfully extend warranty?
didn't extend warranty especially now that ill have to keep the phone i don't think so..
still only bad news from ebay and paypal
they say they can't do anything about it
__________________
ApplemaniaGr
GreenApple29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:09 PM   #115
proost
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenApple29 View Post
didn't extend warranty especially now that ill have to keep the phone i don't think so..
still only bad news from ebay and paypal
they say they can't do anything about it
Great to hear you got to the bottom of the issue. My sense is that you might try to sell the phone when 5 comes out and if you can't or don't... c'est la vie!

Glad this was resolved.
__________________
MBP 2.3Ghz i5 750gb, 16gb 3G 1st Gen iPad, 4gb iPod Touch 2nd Gen, 2TB Time Capsule, and a bunch of Airport Express' for Airtunes!
proost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:55 PM   #116
greytmom
macrumors 68000
 
greytmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenApple29 View Post
didn't extend warranty especially now that ill have to keep the phone i don't think so..
still only bad news from ebay and paypal
they say they can't do anything about it
Little green apples, extend the warranty. You are basically being told by the police, Apple, eBay and Paypal that none of them want this phone back. At this point, it's no longer "stolen."

I would go forward with a clean conscience, and keep a record of all your communications regarding this phone. I am certain you WILL be able to sell it when you are ready.
__________________
The person who coined the term "fanboy" needs to be boiled in honey and staked out naked on an anthill.
greytmom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:12 PM   #117
awadeee
macrumors 68020
 
awadeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Viper City
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
Little green apples, extend the warranty. You are basically being told by the police, Apple, eBay and Paypal that none of them want this phone back. At this point, it's no longer "stolen."

I would go forward with a clean conscience, and keep a record of all your communications regarding this phone. I am certain you WILL be able to sell it when you are ready.
This. Just live your life man. It was exciting for the meantime but just enjoy the phone. You've now got a story to tell your grandchildren.
__________________
Ebb & flow.
awadeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I bought a verizon iphone on ebay... Help Swerner13 iPhone 3 Feb 10, 2011 01:12 AM
Who has bought their MBP from eBay and what was your experience? Blu101 MacBook Pro 5 Sep 14, 2010 08:09 PM
Just bought iphone from ebay,getting (SIM locked) message EvilTeddi iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 May 9, 2009 07:36 PM
I bought an iphone oof ebay but has password still. Is there anyway to unlock it? james912 iPhone 19 Dec 9, 2007 08:31 AM
Anybody bought laptop batteries from eBay? danny_w Buying Tips and Advice 0 Mar 17, 2006 09:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC