Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joms

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I plan to rip my DVDs and have it play in my NMT (network media tank) like popcornhour as well as my appleTV gen2, IPAD, MBP and iphone. In this regard, do i need to rip it all to a different file or is there a file that can be played by all of them?

I want to retain as much quality as decently possible on the main movie plus the english subtitle and the english audio file. I will be playing it on a 1080p 55" TV as well. How much GB would each movie consume? Is it the normal 7GB or will it go down to around 2GB? I hope it goes to around 3GB at most.

I dont know if i should rip it to M4V / MP4 / MKV / etc.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Wow. You have a lot of requirements. I don't know about popcornhour, but you may want to consider doing the same thing I do.

I use the :apple:TV 2 preset in Handbrake, but I change the frame rate to Match Source. That would cover most of your devices, if not all. You wouldn't be watching a 1080p on your TV, but a few of the devices on your list don't support 1080p.

Not sure what to tell you about subtitles. I've never intentionally included them.

Your file sizes will be all over the place, depending on the length of the movie and the quality of the source DVD. Most should be under 2 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.