Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Dear all,

Are there any plug ins for Aperture or even Lightroom, which read/write the EXIF data that Canon store with their MOVIE files? It is contained in a thumbnail image which is stored in a SubDirectory according to the movie file metadata. I got this info from the terminal command line software EXIFTOOL.

Whilst I believe storing metadata in this way is non-standard, I know the freeware program EXIFTOOL can handle this information. In addition to that the makers of A Find A Better Renamer having confirmed to me that they are planning to include this movie metadata it in their next major release. However I can't get Aperture to read it and from what I've read on-line, I'm not even sure if Lightroom can read it.

I know it isn't standard but that's not my fault. I just wish to work with what Canon are providing because in this case it is a far more useful than just meeting the standard, which unless I misunderstand it, doesn't contain as many fields of data.

I have just read some additional information which is key to whether I switch back to working with the file system and EXIFTOOL. Aperture can't write EXIF data back to the master file. Rather a flaw in the software if I ever saw one. I personally do not consider EXIF data to be a change but rather data about something. Therefore I do not mind if the EXIF metadata changes but I would mind if the image itself changed. It can edit IPTC data but I wish to edit the EXIF data.

One can export the images with the edited EXIF metadata but that only degrades them, especially as many but not all of my images are JPGs. In addition to that it doesn't include all the original EXIF metadata. Why is it that major software companies can't handle metadata properly but small freeware creators, such as Phil Harvey, creator of the excellent EXIFTOOL, can? I know the major software companies are providing more in their software but it seems with more you lose things which are considered really important to some of us.

I only wished to use Aperture so I could find and organise my photos more easily and create temporary sets for printing. However I don't wish to do any of this if I can't modify the EXIF metadata of the master files. I could do all the editing in advance but sometimes it may be several months before I sort out my photos and if I had to wait until after that date to important them into Aperture, I wouldn't be so interested in buying the software. It defeats the purpose of Aperture as I'll just end up using the file system itself to make important changes such as the filename and metadata image description. Is there any point in contacting Apple about this or am I in a minority here with my issues?

Kind regards

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.