Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:08 PM   #1
podsorcerer09
macrumors regular

Best Antivirus Utility for Lion

Now before you tell me that I don't need it, trust me I know. I just got off the phone with university tech support who says that I can't connect to their network unless I have some form of antivirus installed. This is new from last year and is quite frankly pretty agrivating. They're holding to the line that there are viruses out there for everyone regardless of the lack of examples for us. I'm pretty safe on the internet and know better than to let a virus onto my system. Anyways, we get Symantec's End Point Protection for free on a license to the school. I used a Symantec program back when I was on XP and I felt that it really bogged my computer down. Is there anything a little lighter on system resources that is free that you can recommend?
podsorcerer09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:30 PM   #2
APtalent
macrumors regular

I used Nod32 last year, back when I was naive and doubted the unix platform.

I'd recommend it.

I had it back when it was in beta and was free.

Here's the link to the official site, http://www.eset.com/us/home/cybersecurity-for-mac

-

Another alternative would be Virus Barrier Express. It's freeware on the AppStore and helped heaps of people in that recent malware craze some months ago.
APtalent is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:34 PM   #3
emaja
macrumors 68000

I use ClamXav. Get the version direct from them instead of from Apple's app store. It has more real-time protections in place.
emaja is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:57 PM   #4
xTRIGGER092x
macrumors regular

I've used Sophos for a while now. It'll find both Windows and Mac malware and it's an incredibly minimal program (it doesn't noticably slow down my computer and it's not cluttered with features, it just scans and protects), so it's a good program to have just in case.

You can download it here: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...e-edition.aspx
iPad 3rd-gen 32GB
xTRIGGER092x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:02 PM   #5
WillEH
macrumors 6502a

Interesting thread, I will try one of these, I also have trouble getting on my work network, without anti virus!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Mrguidogenio
macrumors regular

ClamXav or Sophos. The others are crap.

Last edited by Mrguidogenio; Jul 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Mrguidogenio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7
norrismantooth
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to norrismantooth Send a message via Yahoo to norrismantooth Send a message via Skype™ to norrismantooth
I run ClamXAV once a year...

But it's not really needed. If your university IT complain about you not having protection for your computer, lay a condom across the keyboard, and tell them you solved your virus protection problem.
norrismantooth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Steve's Barber
Banned

Just tell them "yeah, I've got virus protection" and move on. Admin are idiots and won't know the difference.
Steve's Barber is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:06 PM   #9
podsorcerer09
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Barber View Post
Just tell them "yeah, I've got virus protection" and move on. Admin are idiots and won't know the difference.
No can do. You have to download a 'get connected' utility when you get on campus and it scans your computer for anti virus software. I'll probably try out sophos as the best alternative. it's either that or clam. never a symantec product again.
podsorcerer09 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Eradik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsorcerer09 View Post
No can do. You have to download a 'get connected' utility when you get on campus and it scans your computer for anti virus software. I'll probably try out sophos as the best alternative. it's either that or clam. never a symantec product again.
How often do you have to scan?

I'd install AV, run their program, then proceed to dump both of them.
Eradik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:09 PM   #11
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsorcerer09 View Post
Most likely PC only too. What I'd do. Get virtualbox, install windows, install some free antivirus there. Then connect to the network, use their windows tool to scan for antivirus and now you're free.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:12 PM   #12
redsteven
macrumors 6502a

I second the "lie to your IT department" idea.
redsteven is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:33 PM   #13
singhjeet29
macrumors regular

Thats funny the university I went to let Mac's automatically connect to the networks, it was the PC's that had to go through a 45 minute process to get on the network their first time, or whenever their was a Windows update.

Unfortunately I can't help you with that problem.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:34 PM   #14
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

Sounds like the IT department at your university needs to get updated on their technology.
ideal.dreams is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:31 AM   #15
ScottFitz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTRIGGER092x View Post
I've used Sophos for a while now. It'll find both Windows and Mac malware and it's an incredibly minimal program (it doesn't noticably slow down my computer and it's not cluttered with features, it just scans and protects), so it's a good program to have just in case.

You can download it here: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...e-edition.aspx
My son goes to Trinity University and they use Sophos across the network. It has been reliable since I started using it. It's also found a few threats that I would have missed had I not been using it. That free part is nice too.
ScottFitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:09 AM   #16
iBunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Barber View Post
This is not true I wouldnt let anyone's personal computer on my network, AV or not anyway.
Mid 2010 15" MBP / i7 2.66 / 8GB RAM / 120GB Vertex 3 / Hi-Res Glossy/OS X 10.7
iBunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 AM   #17
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
Sounds like the IT department at your university needs to get updated on their technology.
Sounds like you need to get updated on what Network Access Control is and does.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:15 AM   #18
podsorcerer09
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
Most likely PC only too. What I'd do. Get virtualbox, install windows, install some free antivirus there. Then connect to the network, use their windows tool to scan for antivirus and now you're free.
Nope it's a native Mac app as well. They're really good about supporting both windows and unix base operating systems. I'm not sure how often it scans but I've been told that they literally won't let you on without it. I know that I won't have to run the get connected utility every time, but it's very probable that they also have a server side copy that can check me for it. I just sent them a novel claiming that it's unfair to make me run this but I know that I'll just get a response saying that there are viruses out there for everyone and that I run the risk of infecting other non-unix computers without anti virus. Other than the fact that I couldn't care any less about other peoples' computers, it's ********. But they'll stick to their party line and that's that. Thanks for all the recommendations guys.
podsorcerer09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:22 AM   #19
qbiq
macrumors member

I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 only because i need it on my production machine at work.
qbiq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:27 AM   #20
seong
macrumors 6502a

I thought there was Virus Barrier from Intego...?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:48 AM   #21
Rowf
macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...0&postcount=31

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...7&postcount=41

The above two posts might be of interest to you if you intend to install Sophos.
Rowf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:11 AM   #22
iMac-do you?
macrumors newbie

Another vote here for ESET CyberSecurity. I was a big fan of NOD32 on Windows, it used as little memory as possible and never bogged down the system at all. It was a natural progression to use an ESET product on my Mac. Also their tech support is excellent.
iMac-do you? is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 AM   #23
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

Hmmm, best antivirus I know of is Mac OS X!!
gentlefury is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:08 AM   #24
emaja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
Hmmm, best antivirus I know of is Mac OS X!!
Running AV software on a Mac on a mostly PC network is not about protecting your Mac. It is about keeping the PCs protected. While your Mac is not going to be affected by viruses, it can still act as a carrier and pass them to other computers.

It's all about being a good netizen.
emaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:11 AM   #25
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaja View Post
Running AV software on a Mac on a mostly PC network is not about protecting your Mac. It is about keeping the PCs protected. While your Mac is not going to be affected by viruses, it can still act as a carrier and pass them to other computers.

It's all about being a good netizen.
Shouldn't the owners of those PCs assume responsibility by running their own AV?
adztaylor is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Tags
lion, software recommend