Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
2 of my rams are missing after I updated the firmware on my G4 500 running OS 9. PLEASE HELP!!
How do I get it back. I have 1GB of ram installed but the system only sees 512 of ram.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
this was an issue noted over 18 months ago with an older firmware update.

If you got if from crucial or someone who guarantees compatability then you should just phone the vendor and request some replacement DIMMs. If you got cheap RAM from some PC dealer you might have to buy more RAM from a more reputable firm like Kensington, Crucial or Just Rams and then put you're current RAM on eBay as generic PC 100 in the PC section to get some of the money back.

Here's some links for sites discussing the issue :

Low End Mac - Article 2001.3.25

Mac Central - Article 2001.4.4

macatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
So is there any sort of utility that can help me out? I remember someone on this forum provided me with a utility that helped.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by macatwork
Can someone help me? I have a G4 500mhz and have 1GB of ram installed, but OS 9 only displays 768mb.
Please help!

Thanks

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I have been visiting this site for a long time.
I thought this would be a good intro for me.
My Mac:

PM 800
512ram
Lacie 19' monitor

:D

Actually i don't think it is defective. OS X also doesn't see it. Usually if the ram is defective shouldn't it state while the computer boots up? Also this happened before and I think Arn helped me with it by telling me to use some sort of utility, which I can't remember what it was called.

:confused:

Yesterday you had 768MB working today it's 512MB, why all the threads.

Plus, you say that ARN helped you out before for the same/similar problem before. Yet you say first post, and are currently at 5...

Why all the threads on the same topic?

Why the multiple user names/personalities?

macatwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
sorry for the multiple post. My PM 800 is my home machine and the PM 500 is my work machine. I had this issue awhile back and someone in this forum, I think it was a moderator or admin(can't remember) that helped me out. The situation now is that I installed more ram to the machine at work and updated its firmware. After that 2 rams weren't recognized by the Mac.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Under Apple System Profiler, you should be able to see which memory slot is occupied and recognized and which aren't.

What speed/type of memory is it...

You'd definitely want to get satisfactory RAM installed in the machine, or you'll most likely end up with more problems when you switch to OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.