Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1
JJHello
macrumors newbie

LG vs Samsung screen?

I've been reading threads with people supposedly saying that the Samsung screen is higher quality than the LG one.

Is there any proof to any of this speculation?

My brother and I just both got the 13' MBAs. We got different screens, but when comparing them side-to-side, I absolutely see no difference..
JJHello is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHello View Post
My brother and I just both got the 13' MBAs. We got different screens, but when comparing them side-to-side, I absolutely see no difference..
That just shows you that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet....
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:16 AM   #3
AbeFroman77
macrumors 6502

Maybe your eyes aren't good.
AbeFroman77 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:18 AM   #4
macbook123
macrumors 68000

When the late 2010 Macbook Air's were released the rumor was that "9CDF" displays had better contrast then "9CF0" ones. This time the rumor is that the Samsung (TCH...) have the better contrast than LG (LP...). Now the funny part is that 9CDF=LP...=LG while 9CF0=TCH...=Samsung, in other words the last generation Macbook Airs had exactly the same two display models in them but people were saying exactly the opposite about them than this time, i.e. they were saying that the LG's are better in terms of contrast and color accuracy than Samsung's. The exact same displays by each company.

So you can clearly see that as long as there is no objective proof (which will likely never exist, since none of the tech blogs like Anandtech that have the tools cared to explore the different displays back in Oct 2010), everything that people say about which display is better should be taken with a rock of salt.
macbook123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

I went to the store today and compared the screens and must say the 11" screen appears to be sharper.

It's not the sharpness, though. The 13" is perfectly sharp.

It's the contrast that's better on the 11" and makes reading easier.

You can compare to yourself: but both next to each other and adjust the screen zoom with a gesture so the print is exactly of the same size on both displays.

Everyone should decide this for himself, but for me the difference was clear.
Nostromo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Heinsenberg
macrumors member

I liked the way the Samsung LED looked better.
Heinsenberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:15 AM   #7
clyde2801
macrumors 601

I think you can put me down in the 'prefers samsung screen' camp. When looking at 13" LG and Samsung screens side by side, the LG appeared to have a brighter display, but the Samsung appeared to have better a contrast. In other words, black text on a white screen appeared to be darker than on the LG.

The apple person also could tell a difference (then again, he was an older bespectacled fart like me). I'm going to be doing a whole lot of looking at documents and text on mine in the next couple of years, so the difference was important to me.

If you can't tell a difference between your two screens, good. There's nothing to worry about. Quit reading these threads or they will drive you crazy.

Now, I agree about the screens on the 11's being absolutely stellar in general. But I suspect that may have something to do with them having more pixels per inch than the 13's.

When apple released the aluminum MacBooks in '08 (predecessor to the 13" MBP's), they had two or three different people making the screens that did vary wildly in quality. The difference I could tell between the LG and Samsung were nowhere nearly as bad.

And there's nothing resembling irrefutable proof that one screen is better than another unless and until some reputable folks get out some good cameras and compare the two. There is some evidence that people can see a difference, and there's conflicting testimony that others can't.

Last edited by clyde2801; Jul 25, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:22 AM   #8
OSMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Would like to hear more of your comments as you have both...

Compare the max brightness on both, some say the LG is clearly higher.

Here's a quick sample of low contrast text to compare where some say the Samsung does better:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 4.21.26 AM.png
Views:	119
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	295852  

Last edited by OSMac; Jul 25, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:10 AM   #9
macbook123
macrumors 68000

Last edited by macbook123; Jul 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
macbook123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:20 AM   #10
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1197503
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:25 AM   #11
PecanEater
macrumors 6502

Something must be wrong with your eyes. Probably LG made.
PecanEater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:45 AM   #12
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
I've been reading threads with people supposedly saying that the Samsung screen is higher quality than the LG one.

Is there any proof to any of this speculation?

Then why does it matter? You're only going to be miserable if you worry about problems you didn't know existed.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air