Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1
jimjazzuk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Question Search not working in finder?

Anyone else have this issue since upgrading to lion?

It's very frustrating. I've tried adding and removing volume to privacy settings in spotlight prefs to try and force it to index, but to no avail... any ideas anyone?

when i search nothing come up, even if i put in a letter like 'a' or something
jimjazzuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Leia1912
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I've had the same issue. This is what Apple told me to do:

Hold down the Option button and click on "Go" in the Finder menu. You'll see the Library appear in the drop-down list. Go to the Library.

Go to the Preferences folder.

Remove the com.apple.spotlight.plist (the name is either that or very similar).

Restart.

Your computer should now be finding things on the drive again.
Leia1912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:35 PM   #3
basher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ USA
And that worked for you?

I went to my local Apple store and was able to reproduce my issue on three different Macs. Also the Apple staff I spoke with was surprised of the issue and could only offer a solution of looking for a third party product.

Oh well.
basher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
amit.bhansali
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Can not search in Mac OS X 10.7 Finder

Totall agree. For the first few days, I could not search in Mail 5 (but I think it takes time to reference the emails and not it works fine).

The Finder just says "Searching" and only finds things on my local Mac. It can not find anything on servers I am connected to (which worked perfectly fine in Snow Leopard, and that too Windows Servers!).

Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzuk View Post
Anyone else have this issue since upgrading to lion?

It's very frustrating. I've tried adding and removing volume to privacy settings in spotlight prefs to try and force it to index, but to no avail... any ideas anyone?

when i search nothing come up, even if i put in a letter like 'a' or something
amit.bhansali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Leia1912
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I'm sorry for the slow reply--I thought I'd subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get any notice of a follow-up message.

Yes, the remove the plist trick works to get Spotlight to find things on your drive.

It doesn't solve all of my issues with Spotlight--a refusal to look INSIDE documents, not just by name; issues with the integrated search in Mail--but it does let you find files on the drive.

To clarify: I have talked to AppleCare on the phone a LOT about this, including escalating my case upwards. My case is currently in the hands of the software engineers and I've received occasional emails from Apple with investigation questions, so they're working on it. (In the last go-round, they wanted to see a screencast of Spotlight malfunctioning, which I provided.) So, the bottom line is: the programmers are aware of Spotlight misbehaving.
Leia1912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
amit.bhansali
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Hi Leia1912,

Any suggestion on why its not searching on mounted volumes? I can not search anything thats mounted - I can only perform searches on my Mac.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leia1912 View Post
I'm sorry for the slow reply--I thought I'd subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get any notice of a follow-up message.

Yes, the remove the plist trick works to get Spotlight to find things on your drive.

It doesn't solve all of my issues with Spotlight--a refusal to look INSIDE documents, not just by name; issues with the integrated search in Mail--but it does let you find files on the drive.

To clarify: I have talked to AppleCare on the phone a LOT about this, including escalating my case upwards. My case is currently in the hands of the software engineers and I've received occasional emails from Apple with investigation questions, so they're working on it. (In the last go-round, they wanted to see a screencast of Spotlight malfunctioning, which I provided.) So, the bottom line is: the programmers are aware of Spotlight misbehaving.
amit.bhansali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Leia1912
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Hi, Amit,

I don't know why Spotlight isn't searching your external drive, but I'd try to do the same steps--go into your Spotlight prefs, add the external drive to your privacy list, close Spotlight, open again and remove the external drive from the privacy list--and then see if that does anything for you. If it doesn't, ditch the .plist. Other than that, I'm out of answers, but call Apple, because they need to know Spotlight in Lion is, frankly, not ready for prime time.
Leia1912 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:21 PM   #8
amit.bhansali
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Still not working :(

Hi Leia1912,

It's still not working. Searches perfectly fine on my local drive, but nothing mounted. It was working perfectly prior to upgrading.

This is forcing me to use Foxtrot, which is great (but on a trial).

Nobody else having these issues!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leia1912 View Post
Hi, Amit,

I don't know why Spotlight isn't searching your external drive, but I'd try to do the same steps--go into your Spotlight prefs, add the external drive to your privacy list, close Spotlight, open again and remove the external drive from the privacy list--and then see if that does anything for you. If it doesn't, ditch the .plist. Other than that, I'm out of answers, but call Apple, because they need to know Spotlight in Lion is, frankly, not ready for prime time.
amit.bhansali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
markhi43
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Solution

I have had this problem for ages.

I HAVE FOUND A VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION

not promising it will work for you but you may as well try it

>open finder window
>click on settings icon (drop down button along top bar)... looks like a cog
>press "show view options"

VOILA

I HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE!!

MARCUS
markhi43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Search in finder not locating files dmax35 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 May 5, 2014 07:10 AM
Finder Search Broken in 10.9.2? MagnusVonMagnum OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Mar 12, 2014 03:39 PM
Finder search results aren't clickable lighthouse_man Mac Basics and Help 2 Nov 9, 2013 06:56 AM
Finder file search not working on external drive with ExFAT mpaulius OS X 0 Sep 14, 2013 04:24 AM
Search/Finder view MikeHolohan OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Aug 7, 2012 11:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC