Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Hi all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXR81i1X0Q&feature=youtube_gdata

I noticed that I can access my mac from my win7 computer when the accessable folder is NOT shared... I think the problem occured after I restored files to lion from a time machine backup of snow leopard. I have check all setting, even called apple support and they could not find an answer... I made a video and posted it to youtube... I made it quickly with my cell phone as I am contemplating restoring my OS. Wanted to see if any of you experieced this or have an answer...

I think it is something from snow leopard because I made that folder accessable on snow leopard so I could access my mac from the pc. IT IS LION RELATED... Not my network or Win7 PC... I really think it is a bad idea now to restore files from snow time machine... As I was browsing to locations Apple was sending me to, I noticed a lot of rouge files from my old installs on snow leopard... They have no business as the app did not install... No real clean up agent other than app cleaner that I know of.... Ok, another story and day for that...Any help or more information would appreciated.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
your sharing the users home folder as was checked under options -.-

nope....

Wrong answer...

Those were public folders for both user admin and user jaimeb

notice the windows share showing 3 shares when on the mac I am only sharing 2...

The folder is not one of the shared folders, yet it is shared.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
:(Well, I guess I will go to my genius bar appt... I know it is a waste of time... No one here could think of a solution. I will just have to reinstall the os...

OSX 10.7 is a tough titty for even a Lion to suckle...

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Ran across this post before going to the apple store... The genius tried many things to fix it, but was unable to. Not to say anything bad about the genius. He was a GEEK! I mean that with the most respect. Had a great time working with him, even though I got a parking ticket and no fix. My old UNIX guru was going to take a shot at it, but I chose to just restore the whole os and NOT migrate data from my Snow Leopard time machine backup. I am just happy I am one of those guys who keeps all data on the servers rather than on the computers/devices. Even though the computers are backing up, I am clean install and move back what I want to.

Glad to see I am not the only one and maybe there will be a fix in the future. Not sure why someone disliked my video, but at least the ones of us with this problem can at the least find for information of its existence rather than people who say "you are wrong" or "it does not exist"

POTENTIAL FIX: It looks like the problem comes from having SMB enabled on Snow Leopard and restoring from it. Theoretically, if you disable SMB on Snow Leopard, back it and and use that restore point to lion, you will not have this problem... Not sure if anyone can confirm this or not... I wish I had my old mini to test this on... Maybe I will use my girl's mbp...

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Well, reinstalled Lion which was easy enough. only took an hour and a half to down load the os. I did a test with the snow leopard backup and sure enought the problem came back...

So I reinstalled it again and did not restore from time machine. All is good now. SMB and CIFS all work as they should. So my advice is if you buy a mac with lion, do not restore data using the migrate assistant. Just set up your mac and start from there. I am now happy :)

I know some of you did not run into this problem. I am still not sure what causes the issues, but I am sure Apple will have this fixed in the coming updates... Maybe I will try the migrate assistant then... Prob wont...

Hope it helps someone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.