Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:05 PM   #26
MacTech68
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia, Perth
At the risk of being flamed;

I sympathize with the seller's position, and the detractors. Why?

I understand that the seller is likely to be genuine in the claims being made, and as far as I'm concerned, when these posters were first printed nobody would have realized their potential value in the following years.

That said, the detractors come from a position of not personally knowing the seller, nor are they able to pass judgment on the integrity of a person online on a forum, who lives far away in another country, especially given the amount of people who will pose as somebody they are not, for the purpose of committing fraudulent acts.

Let's face it, the internet with all it's promise in it's infancy over 15 years ago, has become a breeding ground for those wishing to defraud others for financial gain and even "just for fun". It's a shame that such a wonderful resource is fast becoming a tool for such miscreants.

However, in this instance, the seller was quite willing for a buyer in the local area to inspect the items and make up their own mind.

With respect to the items, I've had a few posters block mounted and laminated, and yes, it's not a cheap process but it does a reasonable job of protecting the poster, but in my experience, posters are often trimmed slightly in the process which may explain the odd size.

If I had the money, I may have considered buying these myself, since I cherish what the TD poster represents and appreciate the method of mounting and laminating.

Sure, I also appreciate the value in Apple posters, and have multiples of some Apple posters in storage in tubes such as the original iMac posters, but will eventually keep one not for it's value, but for what it represents to me (If I can be bothered ever selling the multiples).

If a potential buyer were to consider buying these for their dollar value, they need to make up their own mind, but at least be informed of the potential fakes out there, but any seller needs to realize that these particular posters are now highly sort after, rare and highly valued and, sadly, will attract this kind of questioning of their legitimacy.

Can this thread please return to normal?

Cheers.
__________________
iBook14" 1.42Ghz, G4 DigitalAudio 733Mhz, iMac Snow 700Mhz, iBook SE 466Mhz, PowerBook Pismo 500Mhz, G3 B&W, G4 MDD 1.25Ghz, iMac 233 1998, iMac G4 USB2 1.25Ghz, iMac C2D 2.16Ghz, MacMini G4 1.25Ghz
MacTech68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:53 AM   #27
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech68 View Post
At the risk of being flamed;

If a potential buyer were to consider buying these for their dollar value, they need to make up their own mind, but at least be informed of the potential fakes out there, but any seller needs to realize that these particular posters are now highly sort after, rare and highly valued and, sadly, will attract this kind of questioning of their legitimacy.

Can this thread please return to normal?

Cheers.
The persons challenging the legitimacy of the prints waited a week and only posted after another party showed an interest. I know traders well and this one raised several flags on being a problem. A genuine collector, as they state they are, would have had a totally different approach.

Quote:
Rare and highly valued
How much ? To get them appraised and verified takes time and money, and I spent hours looking for documentation to support that they were the real deal. If I value my time at say, $30 an hour, and the cost of the certificates are say $40 or $50 each, it is going to be hard stoney road to recover that cost, and to make a small gain ?

However, what ticks the boxes on a genuine print and what raises flags ? No-one has answered that question with any degree of relevance and no-one has started from a point of fact about what is a fake and how to identify the real print.

Last edited by RichardOwens; Sep 23, 2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:51 PM   #28
WardC
macrumors 68020
 
WardC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Send a message via AIM to WardC
About the 24x36" Posters...

I have posted to this thread before...I am an avid "Think different" collector, I mainly collect the 24x36" size, and I am only lacking a few of them in the series...

But I must say -- they are more and more counterfeits appearing on eBay these days, and they are getting harder to decipher. Sellers with high feedback ratings are posting ads saying "Stored in tube since acquired, former Apple employee, unrolled only once to photograph, in mint condition, etc"

Some will even go to the extent to post photos of StartingLine official mailing tubes that the Think different sets were mailed in (in 1997-1998).

You really have to be careful, it is difficult to find genuine good posters these days.

I know for a fact that all of the posters offered from Germany (for the most part) from eBay sellers such as vitor-belfort, are reprints, and not originals. They are "good" reprints, the Buzz Aldrin posters he offers are very crisp, high quality posters, but not the original zoom-distance Buzz Photo that is featured on the -Authentic- poster from Apple, which shows a larger, closer-zoomed Buzz. The Albert Einstein posters from this seller are lower-quality, you cannot see the knit sweater stitches, which are all visible on authentic Albert Einstein 24x36 posters (and these are EXTREMELY hard to find)....

There is one seller who seems to be offering some authentic rarities such as a Dalai Lama for $599 (on mounting board), a Charlie Chaplin (sold) a Flick (Bug's Life) - for $1499, and a Francis Ford Copolla for $999...he has posted a long story on the listings of how he supposedly acquired all of these posters, and says they are 100% authentic -- his prices on them are astronomical and out of the range I would pay, considering that such paper-good posters can be easily reproduced, and these could easily be undeniably-authentic knock-offs that would never be proved otherwise, so no way am I shelling out that cash for those posters. I would be interested in a Dalai Lama, but the one he is offering is permanently affixed to styrofoam board (glued)...which detracts from the collectible value, in my opinion.

The highest valued easily-obtainable posters at the current moment are probably the Richard Feynman, the Ansel Adams, the Jackie Robinson, and the Frank Sinatra...

Amelia Earhart, Thomas Edison, Pablo Picasso, Alfred Hitchcock, Ghandi....are probably the easiest and cheapest ones to find...

Joan Baez, Jim Henson & Kermit, Miles Davis, Maria Callas, Lucy & Desi, Martha Graham, and Ted Turner are also easy-to-find but I see them in lower numbers than the previous ones above.

The "Director's Series" (featured in large banners at Macworld SF 2000) was the last series to-be-released, and was never released. "Supposedly" a few were printed and given to Apple employees and featured within the Apple campus, and these posters, the eBay seller claims he acquired in California and that they are originals, rare, and worth the money he is offering them for. So far, those posters have been up over 6 months and he has only sold one or two of them. Lately, I have seen a number of the Flick posters being offered (24x36") at much lower $75-100 prices, so I grabbed two of these, with the thought they "could be" originals and "may be" rare and worth something. Who knows, they may be reprints, I've never seen the original.

So, as for re-prints, you need to look closely at the printing....does the printing look "too dark" -- is the image "blurry" -- or does it seem pixellated, as if printed from a low-res JPEG image?? I once bought a Richard Feynman poster from eBay, and found it to be a fake re-print, because I knew what the original looked like....the one I had was grainy and pixellated on close inspection, and they guy had sold it to me for over $275 -- yeah, so you must be very, very careful in buying these expensive collectors Think different posters.

If you see somebody offer a listing of them, including 4 or 5 posters which make up one of the "official" sets, and the photos are actual pictures of the laid-out posters, taken by a reputable eBay member who says they have owned these posters, or bought the set years ago -- there is a good chance that this is the REAL DEAL and they are real posters.

If you see somebody offer a load of posters, mixed of different sets (usually from the German eBay sellers), who will start these auctions off cheap -- pretty much all of these German posters are re-prints, and not originals, maybe worth the $12 - $20 that you are willing to spend, but not worth anything more than $30.

Original 24x36" posters are a bargain at $50 or less, still reasonable at $75...the common ones I have seen go upward of the $100 - $135 range.

The rare ones, such as the Richard Feynman - a very "sought-after" poster, I have seen go for over $200.

In my opinion, the two rarest of the 24x36" -released- posters are the original Albert Einstein, and the original Buzz Aldrin, which are incredibly hard to find now. Again, the ones offered by the German sellers are re-prints, I have only seen originals on eBay 2-3 times in the last 12 years.

An original Albert Einstein 24x36" was offered by RedLightRunner a few year ago for $600, and it did sell. It is no longer offered. There was also one on Amazon's website, but it is no longer available. I have seen a pair of them on eBay a couple years ago, they were originals but had crease damage. The Einstein posters offered by the German sellers are re-prints, as I have said above.

I hope this short bit of my experiences in Think different poster collecting has helped you understand and be prepared in your buying and collecting adventures...just be smart, educate yourself, and know the market. If you have a gut feeling that something is a knock-off poster or re-print, it probably is. Do not hesitate to message the sellers with as many questions to possibly verify authenticity, it is your good money, after all, and the way I see it, this is both a fun hobby and a smart investment for the future.

Good luck, happy collecting, and don't forget to  "Think different" 
__________________
iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7 SSD 16GB RAM
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.6GHz i7 256GB SSD/ 16GB RAM

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:22 PM   #29
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816
 
cocacolakid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardOwens View Post

However, what ticks the boxes on a genuine print and what raises flags ? No-one has answered that question with any degree of relevance and no-one has started from a point of fact about what is a fake and how to identify the real print.
A size poster that nobody has ever seen before, plus additional printing on the poster describing the subject, that again, nobody has ever seen before, raises suspicion.

As I've said before, they could very well be real. Please separate yourself from the item and look at it from an outsider's point of view. The market is flooded with fakes, which makes an informed buyer suspicious of any poster being offered, period, by any seller.

Now, why would someone copy the posters and put them not only in different dimensions but add a bunch of text to them? It doesn't make sense, which adds to their possibly being real. But with no additional proof many people will remain cautious.
__________________
2012 Mini 2.3 i7 Samsung 840 250 GB SSD 16GB RAM
2012 13" MBP Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM
TBD, iPad 4, iPhone 4S
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:44 PM   #30
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
A size poster (1) that nobody has ever seen before, plus additional printing on the poster describing the subject, that again, (2) nobody has ever seen before, raises suspicion.

As I've said before, they could very well be real. Please separate yourself from the item and look at it from an outsider's point of view. The market is flooded with fakes (3), which makes an informed buyer suspicious of any poster being offered, period, by any seller.

Now, why would someone copy the posters and put them not only in different dimensions but add a bunch of text to them? It doesn't make sense, which adds to their possibly being real. But with no additional proof many people will remain cautious.
During the Think Different Campaign, it is highly likely, if these posters are what I think they, then in Australia, hundreds of people saw them, but took no further notice and moved on.

A comment from someone who deals in posters and prints as a professional, with hands on experience, rather than an opinion based on a collection of electronic gossip, might be more useful.

For those of you who are curious about my personal integrity, then a persual of my posts on the MacTalk forums may yield some insight to my character. I don't have time nor the possessions to unload to become a reputable eBay seller whatever that is.
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:17 PM   #31
MBP13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
This looks like a fake to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Think-...#ht_854wt_1216
MBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:22 PM   #32
Bob Maxey
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
I don't see why you are getting so upset. Nobody has seen that version of posters before, in 20 years of the TD posters being out there. It raises red flags, and rightly so.

They may very well be legit, but there is no information backing that up, only your word.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an Apple TD Poster Collector.

That said, in my experience collecting lots of this and that, whenever a group of collectors is presented with something they or "the market" has never seen before, it is absolutely fair to ask for proof. And sellers should be able to provide proof without complaining.

I own several Ski Utah posters collectors have never seen. My mother worked on the Ski Utah ad campaign and she brought posters home that very few (if any) collectors have ever seen. The reason is, they were printed but never released. They sat in the basement of the ad agency she worked for. A few were proofs that were never approved. If I sold them, I could likely prove they were real posters and not fakes, but it would be difficult.

I once saw some posters of a cat offered for sale on a local artist's forum, and I told the seller the images were wrong and she was selling posters that violated the copyright laws. The posters were copied from the original posters the artist released in 1965 or thereabouts, but the image was reversed. The signature was then reversed and overprinted so it could be read. The claim the seller made is she owned the painting and her prints were made from the original painting.

I was called a liar, other members chimed in, and she took great offence. I knew the posters were not original posters because I knew the artist, I had a dozen of her posters, and I my mother bought the original cat painting that the artist touched up after the sale, so Mom took it home before it was dry completely.

Everyone here knows about fake products and if you are a careless collector, you might jump on something that is sold as rare or perhaps extremely rare. You might get ripped off and laughed at by other collectors, or you might actually have something rare and never seen before; overlooked by collectors because they think it is a fake.

I own many Eastman Kodak promotional items as well as Polaroid products the "experts" have never seen before. Therefore, I must be lying. Whenever I discuss my collection(s) on forums, I expect to be doubted by a few.

The more the value and claims of scarcity, the more questions will be raised and should be raised. I usually demand proof but I almost never claim fraud. The net brings to light many things other collectors have never seen; for some, this means they never existed and claims of (potential) fraud is usually the result.
Bob Maxey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 07:51 PM   #33
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816
 
mgartner0622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
I hope this isn't considered "thread jacking", but I have a set of the original educational posters...
Would it be bad if I laminated them?
__________________
15" Late '11 2.5GHz MacBook Pro, Mac Mini Server 2.6GHz , Thunderbolt Display x2, iPod Classic 120GB, iPhone 4S 64GB, Lenovo ThinkPad X240
mgartner0622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:57 PM   #34
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgartner0622 View Post
I hope this isn't considered "thread jacking", but I have a set of the original educational posters...
Would it be bad if I laminated them?
Yes, but, there is always the collector who wants pristine pure items.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
DISCLAIMER: I am not an Apple TD Poster Collector.

1 That said, in my experience collecting lots of this and that, whenever a group of collectors is presented with something they or "the market" has never seen before, it is absolutely fair to ask for proof. And sellers should be able to provide proof without complaining.

2 The more the value and claims of scarcity, the more questions will be raised and should be raised. I usually demand proof

3 but I almost never claim fraud. The net brings to light many things other collectors have never seen; for some, this means they never existed and claims of (potential) fraud is usually the result.
1 What is proof ? When asked for a benchmark or a standard on the MacTalk Forum, which is replicated in part with some significant debate missing, the skeptics, who appear to be more interested in ruining a sale, rather than purchasing the prints, were silent.

2 Demand, please manners, request politely, your highness.

3 Normally a junk post does a massive circle and is cited as fact. Clearly, many people have no idea of what happened in the late 90s and still state their chimera of reality as facts.
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 09:08 AM   #35
Terryesk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts
To The Crazy Ones Poster

I have the original To The Crazy Ones Poster and have been looking online to see what its value may be - not that I want to sell it. It is one of my prized possessions and I have it framed and hanging on my wall. With Steve's passing it means all the more to me. I do have both Picasso 24 x 36 posters as well as Gandhi and Ted Turner. In 1999 I went through a period of time of collecting all I could find, especially items with the original rainbow logo. Caused a lot of stress in my marriage but we survived.
Terryesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 09:13 PM   #36
Tiggs
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
I have posted to this thread before...I am an avid "Think different" collector, I mainly collect the 24x36" size, and I am only lacking a few of them in the series...
Looks like you're missing quite a few. The 5 from the director series, 'alternate' Picasso, Dalai Lama, Einstein, Buzz, etc. As I noted earlier, the count is 29 total if sticking to the 24x36 size. How close are you to 29 different 24x36?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC
I know for a fact that all of the posters offered from Germany (for the most part) from eBay sellers such as vitor-belfort, are reprints, and not originals. They are "good" reprints, the Buzz Aldrin posters he offers are very crisp, high quality posters, but not the original zoom-distance Buzz Photo that is featured on the -Authentic- poster from Apple, which shows a larger, closer-zoomed Buzz. The Albert Einstein posters from this seller are lower-quality, you cannot see the knit sweater stitches, which are all visible on authentic Albert Einstein 24x36 posters (and these are EXTREMELY hard to find)....
Yep, hate seeing fake sellers. Still, no question that a real Aldrin is far rarer than an Einstein. Back in the day, real Einsteins weren't that hard to get from Apple if you wanted but the window was really small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC
There is one seller who seems to be offering some authentic rarities such as a Dalai Lama for $599 (on mounting board), a Charlie Chaplin (sold) a Flick (Bug's Life) - for $1499, and a Francis Ford Copolla for $999...he has posted a long story on the listings of how he supposedly acquired all of these posters, and says they are 100% authentic -- his prices on them are astronomical and out of the range I would pay, considering that such paper-good posters can be easily reproduced, and these could easily be undeniably-authentic knock-offs that would never be proved otherwise, so no way am I shelling out that cash for those posters. I would be interested in a Dalai Lama, but the one he is offering is permanently affixed to styrofoam board (glued)...which detracts from the collectible value, in my opinion.
That person is VERY Legit and if you only knew what his background and history was. Dalai's are impossible to find and he's the only one offering one that I am aware of. I've got only one but not going to part with it and its not affixed. I talked to some Apple people who thought all Dalai's were destroyed but they weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC
The highest valued easily-obtainable posters at the current moment are probably the Richard Feynman, the Ansel Adams, the Jackie Robinson, and the Frank Sinatra...

Amelia Earhart, Thomas Edison, Pablo Picasso, Alfred Hitchcock, Ghandi....are probably the easiest and cheapest ones to find...

Joan Baez, Jim Henson & Kermit, Miles Davis, Maria Callas, Lucy & Desi, Martha Graham, and Ted Turner are also easy-to-find but I see them in lower numbers than the previous ones above.
If you knew the people involved in production, you'd know there differences in various set productions. In reality, set 1 posters were made in the smallest numbers. But popularity can skew perceived rarity. For instance, there were just as many Ted Turner posters made as there were Maria Callas as both were part of set 2 production. Set 3 had the highest overall production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC
The "Director's Series" (featured in large banners at Macworld SF 2000) was the last series to-be-released, and was never released. "Supposedly" a few were printed and given to Apple employees and featured within the Apple campus, and these posters, the eBay seller claims he acquired in California and that they are originals, rare, and worth the money he is offering them for. So far, those posters have been up over 6 months and he has only sold one or two of them. Lately, I have seen a number of the Flick posters being offered (24x36") at much lower $75-100 prices, so I grabbed two of these, with the thought they "could be" originals and "may be" rare and worth something. Who knows, they may be reprints, I've never seen the original.
Not sure why you state 'supposedly' as its an undeniable fact that Director series posters were made. There's one complete 24x36 set shown prominently. And no, they weren't offered to employees. Essentially, only test run/prototype examples were done by Chiat Day hence super low #'s. Finding any are impossible and I'm still short 2 of them on my collection

Flick posters were made in far higher numbers with a small production run. Any Pixar employee back in the day had a shot at getting some. I talked to those ebay sellers and feel they were offering real ones and think you did well picking a couple up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC
Original 24x36" posters are a bargain at $50 or less, still reasonable at $75...the common ones I have seen go upward of the $100 - $135 range.

The rare ones, such as the Richard Feynman - a very "sought-after" poster, I have seen go for over $200.

In my opinion, the two rarest of the 24x36" -released- posters are the original Albert Einstein, and the original Buzz Aldrin, which are incredibly hard to find now. Again, the ones offered by the German sellers are re-prints, I have only seen originals on eBay 2-3 times in the last 12 years.

An original Albert Einstein 24x36" was offered by RedLightRunner a few year ago for $600, and it did sell. It is no longer offered. There was also one on Amazon's website, but it is no longer available. I have seen a pair of them on eBay a couple years ago, they were originals but had crease damage. The Einstein posters offered by the German sellers are re-prints, as I have said above.
Not sure how you define 'released' as neither the Einstein or Aldrin posters were ever offered within any of the series sets. The 'alternate' Picasso poster is by far harder to find than an Einstein but its rarity is such that you may be unaware of it. Most only know the standard Picasso poster in set 1. Dalai lama poster easily is the rarest among the 'released' sets with far fewer extant than Einstein and Aldrin as well.

A Feynman poster was made in the same quantity as any of the other posters from series 4. Really more of a common poster with the caveat that set 4 had far less production numbers compared to a set 3.
Tiggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 07:43 PM   #37
jadewarrior
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Would be an interesting project and I've partially done based on my knowledge and research. To complete the task you suggest, you're looking at easily 60+ different official apple posters as well as at least 7 different sizes. Would take bit of effort to gather all the images and hopefully others contribute.
Hi Tiggs,

You've done some excellent research here and I hope you might be able to help me out.

I have 6 complete sets of 24" x 36" Think Different posters that I bought in 1998. Unfortunately I can't remember which posters are in the sets, and I don't want to break open the tubes to look (the tubes have never been unsealed). But I do have the Apple descriptions and part numbers that are listed on the invoice. The descriptions are as follows:

Think Different Posters (Set of 5) Stock Code L02761A

Think Different Poster Collector Set #2 Stock Code L02942A

I also have a poster that you didn't mention in your article. It is a 24 x 36 "I Think Therefore iMac" poster that was handed out at one of Steve's keynote speeches. I don't remember what year it was, but it must have been the year of the original iMac launch. The poster was in an unsealed tube but I had to open the tube to see what was in it. I completely forgot that I had this one. I originally had two of these but one got destroyed in a move.

So, do you know which posters are in these sets, and do you have any idea how rare the iMac poster is?

Thanks,

Mark
jadewarrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:39 PM   #38
gorshjason
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posters

Hey wanted to ask if anyone had any input on how to obtain the value of a Think different poster. It is one that I have not seen anywhere and I am curious. Apple did a marketing campaign to colleges back in the 90's when the TD campaign was going called "Apple in the Real World". On the back of the "folded" brochures was a large print of Frank Sinatra. I took these out of the box and put they straight into a poster tube with several other TD posters so the "folded" marks are minimal. I also have Miles, Ghandi, Erheart, Desi and Luci, Hitchcock, Martha, Ted, Joan and Frank all in a tube and have survived several moves over the years after college. I have debated on putting them up on ebay but frankly I have never sold anything on ebay and I have no idea what they are worth. It measures 24x48 as you can see from the picture. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7K_6606.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	306219   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7K_6607.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	306220  
gorshjason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:39 PM   #39
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Not sure how you define 'released' as neither the Einstein or Aldrin posters were ever offered within any of the series sets. The 'alternate' Picasso poster is by far harder to find than an Einstein but its rarity is such that you may be unaware of it. Most only know the standard Picasso poster in set 1. Dalai lama poster easily is the rarest among the 'released' sets with far fewer extant than Einstein and Aldrin as well.

.
Einstein was released in a set with Picasso Earhart Hichcock.
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:49 PM   #40
striderboi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I have a bunch of the Apple Think different posters that were sent out to schools in the 90's if anyone is interested. Have them in singles, set of 10 and sealed set with 3 complete sets with box and letter from Apple.
__________________
15" Aluminum Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 HD
17" MBP 2.66 i7, 8 GB Ram, Dual 512 SSD
27" LED Display
32 GB Iphone4 Gen
striderboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:53 PM   #41
tigres
macrumors 68040
 
tigres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by striderboi View Post
I have a bunch of the Apple Think different posters that were sent out to schools in the 90's if anyone is interested. Have them in singles, set of 10 and sealed set with 3 complete sets with box and letter from Apple.

I am very interested in some.
can you PM me with a price

thanks very much.
__________________
Quicker than two shakes of a lambs tail
tigres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:10 PM   #42
striderboi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
I am very interested in some.
can you PM me with a price

thanks very much.
For some reason I can't activate my account to send PM's you can email my at digitalpics@gmail.com
__________________
15" Aluminum Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 HD
17" MBP 2.66 i7, 8 GB Ram, Dual 512 SSD
27" LED Display
32 GB Iphone4 Gen
striderboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:35 PM   #43
jadewarrior
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardOwens View Post
Einstein was released in a set with Picasso Earhart Hichcock.
Actually Richard, it was Thomas Edison in that set, not Einstein.

By the way, I have a few complete, never opened sets of Set #1 and Set #2 for sale on Ebay.
jadewarrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:09 PM   #44
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
Actually Richard, it was Thomas Edison in that set, not Einstein.

By the way, I have a few complete, never opened sets of Set #1 and Set #2 for sale on Ebay.
I had a set of Four with Einstein as one of the subjects. From Apple.

Finding out the Truth. Impossible or Improbable ?

1 Apple has not and never will comment.

2 Anyone who was an Apple employee at that time is either promoted to where they cannot comment or have moved on. Remember for the employees, it is a job, nothing else.

3 It was a busy time and Apple apparently devolved production to all their client countries, with no consistant guidelines about the size, or placement of wording or logo.

Last edited by RichardOwens; Oct 21, 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: add
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:19 PM   #45
rower
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I would like to purchase an authentic complete set of the larger size. How would I go about it?
rower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 05:51 PM   #46
tills24
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Is there a site that has poster characteristics? Such as the Sinatra poster above has "www.apple.com" in the lower right, and there's one on eBay that doesn't.

Also, is there a list of sites that are known for selling legit posters? A site (don't want to say in case it's frowned upon) has a Coppola poster, but I don't know if it's real. Knowing if people had experience with the site would be a help.
tills24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:14 PM   #47
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
We All Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tills24 View Post
Is there a site that has poster characteristics? Such as the Sinatra poster above has "www.apple.com" in the lower right, and there's one on eBay that doesn't.

Also, is there a list of sites that are known for selling legit posters? A site (don't want to say in case it's frowned upon) has a Coppola poster, but I don't know if it's real. Knowing if people had experience with the site would be a help.
Apple did not keep records apparently.

Most if not all the staff in many places are gone and don't care, remember to most Apple Staff, it is a job not a following.

A number of persons have started misadvice which is cited as fact, winsconson21 of eBay, for example, is wrong, but is repeated often.
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:40 PM   #48
Tiggs
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardOwens View Post
Einstein was released in a set with Picasso Earhart Hichcock.
No, he wasn't. This is in reference to the officially sanctioned Apple Corporate US 24x36 sized sets that were done that I was discussing. By your own admittance, your Einstein poster is not even sized 24x36 and falls into another category. A category that I had already discussed where Apple affiliates in other regions have produced their own posters.

Unlike others, I actually believe yours are real and have had them described to me before. There's a distinction between posters done through Apple HQ and regional Apple affiliates(like yours and many others in other sizes from other areas) that you don't seem to comprehend. Any such posters should still be regarded as genuine.
Tiggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:13 PM   #49
Tiggs
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
Hi Tiggs,

You've done some excellent research here and I hope you might be able to help me out.

I have 6 complete sets of 24" x 36" Think Different posters that I bought in 1998. Unfortunately I can't remember which posters are in the sets, and I don't want to break open the tubes to look (the tubes have never been unsealed). But I do have the Apple descriptions and part numbers that are listed on the invoice. The descriptions are as follows:

Think Different Posters (Set of 5) Stock Code L02761A

Think Different Poster Collector Set #2 Stock Code L02942A

I also have a poster that you didn't mention in your article. It is a 24 x 36 "I Think Therefore iMac" poster that was handed out at one of Steve's keynote speeches. I don't remember what year it was, but it must have been the year of the original iMac launch. The poster was in an unsealed tube but I had to open the tube to see what was in it. I completely forgot that I had this one. I originally had two of these but one got destroyed in a move.

So, do you know which posters are in these sets, and do you have any idea how rare the iMac poster is?

Thanks,

Mark

Pretty clear that you have five sets of 'Set 1' which is Edison, Earhart, Hitchcock, Picasso, and Gandhi plus one 'Set 2' which is Callas, Turner, Graham, and Baez. You should open the set 2 and check to make sure there isn't a fifth poster in there(Dalai lama) as some sets snuck out with one. Don't think sealed vs unsealed makes any difference as the sets were not sealed after production. Only for sets that were shipped out in small quantities was there any tape applied.

The iMac poster I don't consider to be a 'Think Different' poster and view it as just a product poster. All major products released during that timeframe generally had the 'Think Different' slogan at the bottom and had posters made. I've got a bunch of such product posters included that particular iMac one. They generally aren't worth much of anything as they are not as collectible as the portrait posters. They also made a set of stickers too with other iMac slogans that matched the poster that I liked.
Tiggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:24 PM   #50
emilyjs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacdude313 View Post
I tried PMing you but it wouldn't let me.
They are originals. My father used to be a teacher, these are the posters that were sent out to educators.
how much are you wanting for them. My husband is a teacher nad had some of them at one time but has been moved around over the last 3 years due to budget cuts and lost them in the moves.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by striderboi View Post
I have a bunch of the Apple Think different posters that were sent out to schools in the 90's if anyone is interested. Have them in singles, set of 10 and sealed set with 3 complete sets with box and letter from Apple.
how much are you wanting for them. My husband is a teacher nad had some of them at one time but has been moved around over the last 3 years due to budget cuts and lost them in the moves.
emilyjs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commemorative Posters at Apple Campus List All Former and Current Apple Employees MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 113 Feb 28, 2014 02:00 PM
Apple Sends Mac Pro Posters to Journalists: 'The Computer We Were Insane to Build' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 317 Jan 13, 2014 10:51 AM
Database of Apple vintage posters? jafingi Apple Collectors 0 Jun 6, 2013 08:22 AM
Steve Jobs (early Apple) posters? karlth Community Discussion 2 May 7, 2013 08:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC