Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamWavy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hey MacRumours Users,

Need your last minute help..

My brothers visiting me from the states and he'll be bringing me back memory, since it's cheaper and free shipping over there. I'm looking to purchase 16Gb ram (4 X 4GB modules) for my Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core system. What's possibly the best site I can order ram from? I've looked at Crucial, OWC, etc. Looking for quality, decent shipping time, and a good deal. I'm not worried about warranty, because I can always send it back to him if I ever have any problems.

Let me know.
Thanks

fmharr

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
Hey MacRumours Users,

Need your last minute help..

My brothers visiting me from the states and he'll be bringing me back memory, since it's cheaper and free shipping over there. I'm looking to purchase 16Gb ram (4 X 4GB modules) for my Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core system. What's possibly the best site I can order ram from? I've looked at Crucial, OWC, etc. Looking for quality, decent shipping time, and a good deal. I'm not worried about warranty, because I can always send it back to him if I ever have any problems.

Let me know.
Thanks

I do all my computer parts shopping at http://www.NewEgg.com.

Upgraded my MacBook Pro to 8gigs. 8 GB's for $79 and free shipping.

Mike

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
For what it's worth, I got my 16GB of RAM from OWC nineteen months ago, and initially one of the 4x4GB sticks was bad. They immediately shipped me four more sticks, letting me use 12GB until the new 16GB came first. They paid all shipping.

Service and quality are tops with OWC, at competitive prices.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I usually go to OWC, if New Egg is cheaper, I'll go there. Finally, if all else fails ... actually neither have so there you have it.

SamWavy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Update...

I ended up placing my order with OWC and I'm glad to say that I am extremely satisfied. Their delivery time was fast and it's good quality ram. Just installed the ram modules right now.
Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Prices at OWC are reasonable and their site is easy to navigate and place your order.

DasShrubber

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
The OWC memory does appear to be Cl7 versus CL9 for the superbiz memory. Cl7 is better.

But the Data Rate for the superbiz memory is 1333Hz, versus 1066MHz for the OWC sticks.

There is no CL7 1333MHz DDR3, only CL6 and CL9. There is no need to pay more for lower latency since it's very unlikely that you will notice something. Just go with CL9.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
If the states is anything like the UK the best for memory in my experience is CRUCIAL.

Good info/help/website. Good prices. Excellent customer service.

I have no connection with them apart from a satisfied customer.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Some of the guys on this forum seem to have found a way to know which ram will fit into which macs. I searched all over Apple's site and just can't find enough specific information. Someone told me that only CL7 would work on my MP, but I hear here that CL9 won't make a difference. And how about those site that spec the timing, like 7-7-7-20? Should I check for this?

Where can we get such info?

Thanks,

Loa

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

If you use the Crucial site it has an online memory advisor

Thanks for the link, but the sites that have "Mac approved" memory usually charge ridiculous prices for it. (Twice that of other chips)

I'm still looking for every stat I should look for to know which RAM will fit or not!

Loa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.