Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:56 PM   #1
RevMDR
macrumors newbie

Blinking Folder w/Question Mark...Replaced Hard Drive...Still Having Problems

Would greatly appreciate any advice on this...

Own a 13" MBP about 1-1/2 years old. Few days ago, the pointer froze up so I did a manual restart...got the old "blinking folder with question mark." Looked for answers on forums...tried every kind of restart possible...went to reinstall Snow Leopard and the HD did not show up on the list of possible install locations (in fact nothing showed up). Ran Disk Utility and again the HD was not shown.

Every bit of research I did on various Mac forums pointed to a failed HD. Today I bought a new 500 GB HD, installed it according to directions on a YouTube video. Again when running the Snow Leopard install disk, the HD didn't show up. Ran Disk Utility to see if I could format the drive...and it doesn't show up on Disk Utility either.

Is there anything else that can be causing the blinking folder/question mark? Is it possible that the original hard drive wasn't the problem? Or is there something else I need to do for the Snow Leopard installer to recognize the new hard drive? Thanks in advance for your responses!
RevMDR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:31 PM   #2
NikFinn
macrumors 6502a

The new hard drive should show up in disk utility. It appears as though it could be any combination of the following.
1.) Your original hard drive died.
2.) Perhaps the SATA cable came lose, so disk utility doesn't recognize the drive.
3.) The new hard drive is dead.

I'm guessing you don't have another computer lying around, or USB to SATA cable to see if either drive works?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

That sounds like you have a bad hard drive cable or problem on the logic board. Take it to Apple and see if they can run a diagnostic.

It's POSSIBLE you had two bad hard drives, but unlikely.

If possible, try both hard drives in a USB or Firewire external enclosure and see if they work. If they do, it's a bad cable or, worse, a problem on the logic board.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
RevMDR
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. It was indeed the hard drive cable. Had it replaced with a used one...whole repair cost $60. I appreciate the input.
RevMDR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

Great! Glad you got it sorted out.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro