Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi, had to buy a new disk from Apple store for SL (Were just about to send them back!) I had lost my original disk.

Question is, I'm running lion and I'm wondering will my time machine have SL backed up on it, so if I do go back to it, the lion back ups won't conflict with SL??

It's got about 30 days of back ups, so I'm guessing it has, wasn't sure if Lion cleared the SL back ups, etc?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Time machine doesn't backup the OS, only the files and settings. If you revert using time machine you will still be in lion, with missing files.

If you want SL back you will have to use a SL disk, format the drive, install SL then use a pre lion time machine backup (you can use a lion backup, but you will have a lot of errors since there will be missing apps.)

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Time machine doesn't backup the OS, only the files and settings. If you revert using time machine you will still be in lion, with missing files.

If you want SL back you will have to use a SL disk, format the drive, install SL then use a pre lion time machine backup (you can use a lion backup, but you will have a lot of errors since there will be missing apps.)

Hi, sorry that's what I meant, I have the SL disk, I want to reinstall SL, but make sure I have all my photos, etc. Don't care for apps, I'll reinstall them, I don't have many :)

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Hi, had to buy a new disk from Apple store for SL (Were just about to send them back!) I had lost my original disk.

Question is, I'm running lion and I'm wondering will my time machine have SL backed up on it, so if I do go back to it, the lion back ups won't conflict with SL??

It's got about 30 days of back ups, so I'm guessing it has, wasn't sure if Lion cleared the SL back ups, etc?

Here is what I did last night. I decided that working on SL on my 2010 Mac Pro was much better than with Lion. The MP had a 1.5TB OSX partition, a 500GB Windows 7 partition, and the Lion restore partition on a WD RE4 2TB HDD.

I booted it with the original gray SL install disk. It took some time to load but eventually gave me the install screen. I chose restore from Time Machine backup from the menu.

After selecting one day before the Lion installation day it took about four hours for SL to be restored from my 2TB Time Capsule which is hardwired by ethernet to the MP.

After rebooting System Update suggested six updates including the latest Safari, which I like, the latest iTunes and that last 6.8.8 update. Some of the libraries, like iTunes, were rebuilt to match the current versions.

Other than that Time Machine decided to back up the whole boot drive again everything went perfectly smooth. The Windows 7 install works perfectly and the Lion Restore partition is still there for if and when I decide to go to a later edition of Lion.

It's so nice to be back to colored icons, smooth Spaces transitions, a Contacts app that isn't ugly and the Calendar that doesn't make me want to throw up.

Total success.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Here is what I did last night. I decided that working on SL on my 2010 Mac Pro was much better than with Lion. The MP had a 1.5TB OSX partition, a 500GB Windows 7 partition, and the Lion restore partition on a WD RE4 2TB HDD.

I booted it with the original gray SL install disk. It took some time to load but eventually gave me the install screen. I chose restore from Time Machine backup from the menu.

After selecting one day before the Lion installation day it took about four hours for SL to be restored from my 2TB Time Capsule which is hardwired by ethernet to the MP.

After rebooting System Update suggested six updates including the latest Safari, which I like, the latest iTunes and that last 6.8.8 update. Some of the libraries, like iTunes, were rebuilt to match the current versions.

Other than that Time Machine decided to back up the whole boot drive again everything went perfectly smooth. The Windows 7 install works perfectly and the Lion Restore partition is still there for if and when I decide to go to a later edition of Lion.

It's so nice to be back to colored icons, smooth Spaces transitions, a Contacts app that isn't ugly and the Calendar that doesn't make me want to throw up.

Total success.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Can anyone else confirm that SL will work okay, and my back ups will be okay? I'd hate to lose my music, photos, etc. :(

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone else confirm that SL will work okay, and my back ups will be okay? I'd hate to lose my music, photos, etc. :(

Time machine has nothing to do with the OS...yes everything will stay intact. If you open your time machine drive you can go into it and view a day and see the file structure as it should be.

theone09

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008

After the clean install SL. Restore everything back from the time machine. Take out the time machine from your machine (just in case, it will mess up your time machine.) However, some of the applications that backed up during you were using Lion are on your time machine too. So for the first time after rebooting your machine, you will see some of the applications, such as dvd player, preferences, etc..., are not running under SL. Don't worry about it, re-run another SL installation (but don't do the clean install, just do it over.).. after rebooting for the second time install, run the software update from the apple menu. Everything back to normal.

Before doing this, backup as just copy all of your documents, photos, music songs, emails... into another drive. Do it with care, or else you are going to loose everything.

Hope it help!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.