Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salmemail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I'm looking at buying my first MAC and based on what I read here I would like to insure I get a 13" air with the Samsung SSD and Display.

Is there serial codes or part numbers on the box that make it easy or do we have to open the box and machine to find out?

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Recent tests have shown the Toshiba to be faster in some areas dude, don't be fooled by sequential transfer tests.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm looking at buying my first MAC and based on what I read here I would like to insure I get a 13" air with the Samsung SSD and Display.

Is there serial codes or part numbers on the box that make it easy or do we have to open the box and machine to find out?

No, there isn't. Buy one, use it, and enjoy it, it awesome no matter which brand component are inside.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Go and look at their floor models, because they took the floor models off the same shipment that you would buy your MBA from. If the majority of them are Samsung then there is a good chance. Nothing is 100% though.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008

Just don't worry about it. I have an LG display and it looks great.

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Don't worry about it. These discussions are a complete waste of time.

kpdillon

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
I just went to 2 Apple stores and looked at both the 11" and 13". They all had Toshiba drives and LG displays. Since I could not find any with a samsung display, I checked some of the macbook pros out and was comparing. The macbook pros I was looking at had samsung displays.

To be honest with you, I think the LG displays on the macbook airs look more vibrant and crisp.

I have a macbook air with the LG display and I am very satisfied.

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
How do you know if you have samsung or toshiba parts in your mac?

Here is a copied and pated form of the info about the SSD:

APPLE SSD TS256C:

Capacity: 251 GB (251,000,193,024 bytes)
Model: APPLE SSD TS256C
Revision: CJAA0201
Serial Number: 61JA41EJK6JK

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
TS toshiba
SM samsung

Still a rediculous thing to be concerned about......

The guys manning the genius bars across the country should get time and a half for the next few weeks dealing with frantic fanboys on this....

PsychOK

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
Go and look at their floor models, because they took the floor models off the same shipment that you would buy your MBA from. If the majority of them are Samsung then there is a good chance. Nothing is 100% though.

Likely not the case, at least not anymore since new shipments have already come in. I bought mine at the local apple store yesterday and the floor model I looked at had a Toshiba, but I got home and my Air has a Samsung SSD.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Best way (I did this myself), is to go to the store, buy one, open it as quickly as possible.

repeat until goodness is obtained.

If your quick, you can go trough 5 or 6 in about 20 minutes.

Works like a charm! :)

that is if your lucky. Most stores have only one or the other. I had to go to 3 stores in 2 states. The first two stores threw me out and told me never to return...imagine the humiliation!

the third store, mostly just went along, but I only had to go through 3

I'm a happy camper with the new LP screen And TS SSD!! :)

quote of the day:

"Harris: Sex with Hef lasted 'two seconds"

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Best way (I did this myself), is to go to the store, buy one, open it as quickly as possible.

that is if your lucky. Most stores have only one or the other. I had to go to 3 stores in 2 states. The first two stores threw me out and told me never to return...imagine the humiliation!

quote of the day:

Nice! Where was the 3rd store, might pay them a visit. ;)

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

quote of the day:

my sarcasm detector is broken today... so just to make sure...

so you went through all that and still ended up with the LG and Toshiba components?

Last edited:

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
I was in the apple store and the Genius was telling a customer that the two SSD thing was BS, and should be taken with a grain of salt. When I asked why the display models had two different part numbers and showed him on the displays, he had no idea what to say. Its like these people work for Apple and "love Apple" but know nothing about computers at all, only what the display tags say. They are as bad as BestBuy.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
my sarcasm detector is broken today... so just to make sure...

so you went through all that and still ended up with the LG and Toshiba components?

What do your mean? LP and TS are Samsung parts.

Geesh, read up on this :roll eyes:

EDIT: Oh no! your right! sorry.... All that for nothing. :( :( :(

Well it's back on the road! I'm going to have to go back to the stores that threw me out as they have the good stuff I guess. I'll have to wear a hat and a wig. Do you think that would work?

Last edited:

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
This hole Samsung > LG hype is ridiculous.

There is no actual proof that Samsung is better, just a bunch of people who said they remember seeing Samsung displays in the store and liked them better.

I have an LG screen and it is awesome, good contrast good colors, no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.