Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I've always believed the lawsuit between Apple and Samsung has nothing to do with current phones, and has everything to do with future phones. Specifically the ones Samsung will be introducing with tech no one else will have access to. Hence the lawsuit for Apple to gain some leverage to get some of this tech. Samsung is the one true competitor to Apple that has the Technical and Innovative might to completely turn the mobile world on its head. Here's a concept that shows Samsung "flexing" some of that innovative muscle. Unf**king believable.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/07/26/c...-flexible-display-and-android-flexy/#comments

If Apple thinks they can keep at their slow pace of upgrading the iPhone, they will make the same mistake RIM has made. Technology waits for no one. You get on the super fast moving tech train, or you get out of the way.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Wow that looks so gimmicky. That's gonna be exciting for a week and then just annoy me.

Well I suppose it means Samsung will finally stop doing cheap iPhone knockoffs tho.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Wow that looks so gimmicky. That's gonna be exciting for a week and then just annoy me.

Well I suppose it means Samsung will finally stop doing cheap iPhone knockoffs tho.

Yeah, and changing the color of a 1 year old phone and introducing it like it's something amazing and new isn't gimmicky in the least. :eek:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Anything is possible, with a concept artwork.

it comes with a 4-inch Super AMOLED flexible display, runs Android “flexy” and has an 8 megapixel camera, shoots 720p HD video and comes packed with a projector and converts into a smartwatch (overall size is 221x67x8mm).

Thats good and all, when will it be released?

oh, thats right, their is no release date since they are just early concepts/renderings, its not even close to going into production.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I've always believed the lawsuit between Apple and Samsung has nothing to do with current phones, and has everything to do with future phones. Specifically the ones Samsung will be introducing with tech no one else will have access to. Hence the lawsuit for Apple to gain some leverage to get some of this tech. Samsung is the one true competitor to Apple that has the Technical and Innovative might to completely turn the mobile world on its head. Here's a concept that shows Samsung "flexing" some of that innovative muscle. Unf**king believable.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/07/26/c...-flexible-display-and-android-flexy/#comments

If Apple thinks they can keep at their slow pace of upgrading the iPhone, they will make the same mistake RIM has made. Technology waits for no one. You get on the super fast moving tech train, or you get out of the way.

Get me a facepalm, STAT!

Seriously, thats so far out that I can't even call it vaporware. As for your idea of current lawsuits leveraging future tech.....thats not how the law, lawsuits, patent licensing, or the industry works. This whole idea is just a jumbled mess.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, and changing the color of a 1 year old phone and introducing it like it's something amazing and new isn't gimmicky in the least. :eek:

No it's not. It's adding a variation to an established and stable device that works. As oppose to a flight of fancy.

Btw, didnt nokia do this concept first?

Edit: yup. Here's a link. January 2010. So Samsung stealing ideas again....

http://research.nokia.com/morph

daleycss

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
wasn't sure if you thought of this part but, thats just a screen. theres more to a phone than just a screen. so when they think of a unique and logical place to put those non-flexible parts of phone somewhere, then talk to us about some cool floppy phone samsung thinks they can make money off of.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Get me a facepalm, STAT!

I didn't know which one you wanted, so I brought them all (though I figure this thread deserves them all).

facepalm.jpg

20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

cat_FACEPALM.jpg

FACEPALM.jpg

facepalmLion.jpg

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
take a swing by patentlyapple and see what kind of serious innovation is going on (and being patented) behind the scenes. You'll be amazed at what is in the future for macs and iOS devices.

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
take a swing by patentlyapple and see what kind of serious innovation is going on (and being patented) behind the scenes. You'll be amazed at what is in the future for macs and iOS devices.
I did and didn't come across anything particularly impressive.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
That's pretty cool. I remember the Mozilla Seabird concept with the projector too.

Some folks may not have the foresight now. They are still excited about the "revolutionary" iOS5 which has new features that has been available for years in the JB community and other platforms. And whatever slightly modified casing of the next iPhone to worship how sexy it is before discarding it again next year for the latest model.

But we really can't be moving at this current pace that Apple dictates which is new color schemes and same slate designs with different colors and materials used. The current landscape of cell phones is the same thing over and over.

I really like that idea of flexible screens as devices will be something we can wear. These flexible screens can introduce different form factors instead of just slightly modified slate designs with the same looking OS for the last four years. Even having a screen in your wallet sounds cool. I even liked the Lady GaGa sunglasses that were introduced at CES that took take pictures. Imagine not only will our phones be taking pictures, but our shades too? The Secret Service can easily be pervs now during their lunch break and the spouse will never know. :cool:

HausofGaga.jpg

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Specifically the ones Samsung will be introducing with tech no one else will have access to.

"Specifically the ones" would be what exactly? The concepts in the link? You state they will be introducing something…last time I checked, concepts are not guaranteed to be introduced, and more often than not, they are not.

Nice try though. I think the National Enquirer is looking for interns.

*EDIT* it's fascinating, in a staring at a car accident kinda way, to read previous posts by people who post this kind of stuff. The OP clearly has some agenda. Lord knows why. People that log onto a brand forum merely to slag that brand are the internet equivalent to Mr. Tyzik.

crush.jpg

In other words, no one here gives a wombat testicle what you think or do, whether you love Apple or hate it. If you think you are making one bit of difference, or converting a single person to whatever mental utopia you've built for yourself, you are gravely and sadly delusional. You are hiding behind a random bush in a random parking lot…you think you are crushing everyone's head, but the fact is, by even bothering to show up here, you just look dumb.

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Think about it, we aren't moving as fast as we would like....

Where is the new concept here? Nearly looking at the same thing over and over. Eventually you milk it before people get sick of it too.

compare_speed_iphone.jpg

The BB 9900 looks exactly like the 9000 but with a touchscreen and double the CPU speed after three years.

When the iPhone 5 comes out, will it really be that drastically different from the other four? I see mock-up and not one really is taking things to a much higher level in design. The most recent iPad will always have the latest chip. iPad 2 already has the A5 chip to know what browsing speeds are like. The next iPad will likely get the A6 before it gets to the iPhone. Same grid-like static icons. Being part of the 4-inch screen club that an HTC HD2 had since 2009. Adding features like a LockInfo screen that people have had for 2-3 years now. Apple has ripped off the Jailbreaking Dev Community and other platforms.

LockInfo thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/735908/

LockInfo (2009)
photo3lab.jpg

Lock Screen in iOS5 (2011)

Screen-shot-2011-05-30-at-16.29.34.png

The default Lock Screen background is even uglier and less informative than Intelliscreen, LockInfo, and even Windows Mobile 6.1's lock screen. Apple is just adding "new" features that are considered "old" in other platforms and calling it "revolutionary." Cloud service has been around for years well before Amazon and Google brought one out. FaceTime has already existed. It is called video calling. OTA updates has been around for ages now for Android.

I really hope Sammy can push more of these concepts out the door and not make this all into a spec race or OS race with slight modifications here and there. The flexible screens have great potential in expanding phones into different form factors. I would love to just fold my phone and put it into my wallet.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Flexible screens won't just be beneficial, but for all forms of technology.

I can see future baseball cards like that where it shows videos of the certain player that is featured. Or we start wearing wristbands and start looking like a walking Time Square with moving advertisements.

Samsung Flexible AMOLED Display at CES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJEHp15Hoo0

Maybe when I am in my mid-70's in the year 2054 and the cost of flexible screens goes down for pennies, I can read a USA Today newspaper like this where the news changes.

Minority Report USA Today e-paper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5u3axLhMqE

Minority Report cereal box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccCJfwnFU_Q

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
LockInfo thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/735908/

LockInfo (2009)

Lock Screen in iOS5 (2011)

The default Lock Screen background is even uglier and less informative than Intelliscreen, LockInfo, and even Windows Mobile 6.1's lock screen. Apple is just adding "new" features that are considered "old" in other platforms and calling it "revolutionary." Cloud service has been around for years well before Amazon and Google brought one out. FaceTime has already existed. It is called video calling. OTA updates has been around for ages now for Android.

I do wish Apple went with copying or buying Lockinfo, but the design of Intelliscreen(which Apple copied) has a more native iOS look which is why they most likely went that way instead of Lockinfo.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
That looks beyond awesome! Personally I prefer Samsung phones (as well as TVs & stuff) as I do feel they are ahead of the rest some distance. Shame they lose their value quite quickly though which is why I get iPhones instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.