Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Heheh! Just gives me even more time to say "no". :rolleyes:

I thought about joining... I honestly thought... and then I realized... I don't NEED any of that stuff!

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Its a good move from Apple

Apple is hoping that with the realease of iSync, they can convert few more users.. iSync is delayed by few days..so is the deadline for .mac. iSync and .Mac go together..

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Re: Its a good move from Apple

Originally posted by jaykk
Apple is hoping that with the realease of iSync, they can convert few more users.. iSync is delayed by few days..so is the deadline for .mac. iSync and .Mac go together..
I think you hit it right on the nose. The reason isn't for lack of subscribers, but to convince more that they want it. Hey, anything to give my favorite company more money.

P-Worm

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
Re: Its a good move from Apple

Originally posted by jaykk

I don't know about that. Apple seem to have drawn a line in the sand, and are now moving that line.

This says bad things when introducing a service, especially one that has received this much negative press.

Also, while iSync and .mac have threads in common, iSync 's primary advertised value is between the phone/pda/iPod/calendar/computer, with online calendar publishing secondary.

If iSync were really a driver for .mac, I think the deadlines would have been better defined to allow appropriate QA, and make the target date.

I surmise that the lackluster sales momentum is directly responsible for this delay, and while any .mac revenue is new revenue, I'm sure it is not profit.

When .mac was iTools, the bandwith was likely budgeted as part of the OS budget. Now that .mac is its own entity, I'm sure it is mandated to be self sufficient. Huge bandwidth and services costs mean .mac is likley operating at much larger than expected loss. Couple that with the need to be in the black at some time in the not too distant future, the .mac division appears to be scrambling to get membership up in response to a cold shoulder from its target market.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I doubt this is a "warning" sign for .mac, recent news say's they have had plenty of new .mac customers and iTools customers convert ot the paid account, if anything this is buying time to let iSync reel a few more in and that's probably it.
just my opinion though.....

-------------------
http://www.osx.has.it

Griffindor73

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2002
Brighton, England
I actually have .mac (I thought, 'What the hell!") an I have to say I quite like it, especially the back-up feature.

However, it was half price, and come next year it would have to provide me with a hell of a lot more fetures to make me pay again.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I joined .Mac, and I also am very happy with the service. I don't understand why more people don't join! For $50, you get a full year, and who knows what cool stuff they may add! I'm excited to see what cool features and incentives .Mac members will receive, making non-members jealous. Plus, I'm happy to give more money to Apple. More money means more research on new products. If it helps them develope better software and cooler products, I'm more than happy to help.

Just a side note...It would be pretty cool if they offered .Mac subscribers the ability to purchase new products (say, for instance, a new Power Mac with a G5) a month earlier than people who are non-members. Just a thought. I don't want this to turn to a discussion about when the G5 will come out.

That's great! I was planning on shelling out the 50 bucks tomorrow night, but I really can't afford it right now. I have a fat paycheck coming Friday, now I can wait until then. I don't think I'll be renewing for $100 next year, though. But, who knows, I may fall so deeply in love with the service that I'll pay any price they ask.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: never paid

Originally posted by Wash!!
I will not pay!! and th's final.

AS of today I have cahnge all my email to my regular ISP email. good by .mac address.

I never paid but that is because I got my subscription for free via Learn And Earn

:p :p :p :D :D :D

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by RBMaraman

Just a side note...It would be pretty cool if they offered .Mac subscribers the ability to purchase new products (say, for instance, a new Power Mac with a G5) a month earlier than people who are non-members. Just a thought. I don't want this to turn to a discussion about when the G5 will come out.

apple would never do this. they have to get products out as quickly as possible and making the general public wait longer for technology that is getting older every day is BAD business.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by idkew

apple would never do this. they have to get products out as quickly as possible and making the general public wait longer for technology that is getting older every day is BAD business.

They made the PC market wait a little longer for the iPod (don't be fooled, it was not 1 month after the backlog kicked in) why can't they do a similar thing for iTools? It is not like anyone was talking about holding on to machines for 3 months, just give the subscribed payers a priority ticket.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Griffindor73
I actually have .mac (I thought, 'What the hell!") an I have to say I quite like it, especially the back-up feature.

However, it was half price, and come next year it would have to provide me with a hell of a lot more fetures to make me pay again.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth...

HA! Indeed!!

Apple's hurting here. They've taken a beating PR-wise on .Mac and the conversion rate is less than HALF of their lowest expectation. A lot of people have signed up based on unknown future operability. These people are delusional at best, moronic at worst.

.Mac is what it is. A bad deal as it stands and a future product which NOBODY knows about. Nice investment folks.

If you're worried about Apple's finances, they made more money than iTools did the moment the first sucker signed up. - j

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
We payed the $50 for .Mac membership. Principle motivation was the iPhoto-Kodak 100 print 'free' offer. Those 100 prints would cost $50 anyway from iPhoto. Yes, the iPhoto printing service is over-priced. It should be 25 cents a print. However, since the $50 includes the prints and the .Mac service, we see it as a 'wash' and worth paying for.

However, next year at $100, we won't sign up unless there are major incentives - like maybe 400 iPhoto prints. :D

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Hi!!! Im a mac user and I like to whine!!

Um, I got both my computers synced up, my .mac email address, important things backed up, ordered 50 prints from kodak from my spiffy new mac and you guys are all complaining why Apple doesn't give you more free stuff and there are no G5's yet. You guys are so cheap you wouldn't even get a new computer if it came out, because it wasn't a G6.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Re: HA! Indeed!!

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Apple's hurting here. They've taken a beating PR-wise on .Mac and the conversion rate is less than HALF of their lowest expectation. A lot of people have signed up based on unknown future operability. These people are delusional at best, moronic at worst.

.Mac is what it is. A bad deal as it stands and a future product which NOBODY knows about. Nice investment folks.

If you're worried about Apple's finances, they made more money than iTools did the moment the first sucker signed up. - j

"The dot com era is over"
Time for freeloaders like you to shut up.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
Originally posted by Tue12
We payed the $50 for .Mac membership. Principle motivation was the iPhoto-Kodak 100 print 'free' offer. Those 100 prints would cost $50 anyway from iPhoto. Yes, the iPhoto printing service is over-priced. It should be 25 cents a print. However, since the $50 includes the prints and the .Mac service, we see it as a 'wash' and worth paying for.

However, next year at $100, we won't sign up unless there are major incentives - like maybe 400 iPhoto prints. :D

The 100 print photos seemed like a good incentive but I found another site that has really good deals on digital photo printing.

dotphoto.com
their plans are
Family Plan
26 4"x6" Prints per month
Only $4.99 a month - a year $60 bucks
this is 312 prints in a year.
more than your allowed 4x6 prints are .29

they also have another plan for 10 a month that gives you
60 prints a month and prints from there are .17c each
plus they give you 30 free prints for signing up

this is more worth i think for people that are looking to print. I love iphoto but printing from apples is almost double. I use iphoto and update to the dotphoto servers and order my prints from there. I also be using the myical.com services.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HA! Indeed!!

Originally posted by zedwards

Gee Jay, you are learning to talk like a PC user!

The .com era and the poor features/cost ratio of .Mac have nothing to do with one another. Most people would have paid $20/yr to keep their .mac email addresses with the same 5 megs of storage. Dependent on your needs, I suppose $100/yr can be worth the garbage dump of stuff Apple's tossing in. Most subscribers seem to be doing so reluctantly (at the $50 price point), hoping that next year Apple will toss them some more bones to justify next years price doubling. The majority of iTools users are just using the email address that came with their ISP service and letting their .mac address (that provides an Apple plug every time it was used) slip somewhat bitterly away. The next thing you know, you don't even miss it. - j

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.