Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 2, 2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

iMovie (DV) export to DV, result interlaced/progressive problem?

Hi,

I exported cut DV files from out of the iMovie project via choosing "save as highest quality", to get the same file, but without the project stuff and without the previously cut scenes as a DV file (with the same quality as the input was).

I get a DV file, but when I open that in Quicktime or VLC it has horizontal lines. Sometimes through the whole scene, sometimes only in some area (like only in a bird that is moving its wings, or a person has a black jacket and the background is white and you see like thorns coming out of his left side).

Is this normal, because I view it in QT or VLC and one who would want to watch it would expect to export it to another format, where interlacing/progressive would be applied, before watching it from a DVD or from an USB-stick connected to a mediaplayer?

Reason behind it: I can't just export it as h.264 and store them somewhere, because the source shall be saved untouched and later exported/encoded, when needed. These are old VHS tapes from the bio-chemical library of my brother's school (he is the teacher to care for the media in his department). So I imported/saved these via a Canopus ADVC-300 in iMovie. The documentaries did not have these lines on the original tape.

Some of these were stored as iMovie3 (the one were there were 9min. clips) and some as iMovie5 and 6 projects.

Sorry, if I am not making any sense.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:40 PM   #2
fa8362
macrumors 65816

Hi,

That is not normal. I don't use iMovie, but one of your output settings is wrong. I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't used that program in a few years and Apple frequently changes it.
fa8362 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Which version of iMovie are you using?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 View Post
Hi,

That is not normal. I don't use iMovie, but one of your output settings is wrong. I wish I could be more specific, but I haven't used that program in a few years and Apple frequently changes it.
There is nothing to set in iMovie, if one chooses "best quality".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
Which version of iMovie are you using?
iMovie'05 under 10.4.11. (The projects have been saved/digitalized in iMovie'03 and iMovie'06 can't properly handle iMovie'03 files, it cuts of a few minutes from the beginning and the end.)
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Sorry, I can only go back as far as iMovie06, and I can't see the same problem as you do.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

I have now converted the DV file (which I before that exported from iMovie via "save as best quality") to a mp4 file and did two encodes:

a) deinterlace
b) interlace

the result was the same. The DV and the two mp4 files look the same.

See attatchment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	468549  

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video