Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostJohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Something interesting that I observed today:

My iMac mid-2011 i5 crashed today. I had to do a hard power off via the power button. The computer is brand new; about a month old.

I had my 20" Core 2 Duo white iMac for nearly 5 years. It never crashed. Not even once.

Just found this interesting...

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
I've noticed that as well. You can no longer hard power off. If the machine is frozen the power button is completely nonfunctional. Odd, normally power buttons effect hardware first, and software second.

I also noticed that the machines now enter clamshell mode gracefully. Normally, you'd plug in a monitor, and power, close the lid, wait for it to go to sleep, then wake it back up.

This meant if your macbook was charging and asleep and then you plugged in a monitor, you could wake it from sleep straight into clamshell mode. I tried this in lion and it resulted in this non responsive power button situation. I had to wait for the battery to run down.

Now, if you connect a monitor while it's awake, and close the lid, it goes straight to clamshell without going to sleep. Kinda slick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.