Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
KD4
macrumors newbie

App Store charged me two times for Lion Server

Hi,

I have following problem. Few days ago I did upgrade from Mac OS Snow Leopard Server to Lion Server on my Mac Mini Server (previous version) - of course via App Store.
I was charged for Lion + Lion Server. From some reason I had to delete everything from my hard drives (I mean - format hdds).
Today, to install Lion again I had to install Snow Leopard as first system and then Lion from App Store.
i was informed that I need to buy again both systems (lion and lion server). WTF I have listed both systems as purchased in App Store and
I hope that they will not charging me everytime when I'll format hard drives

Has anyone been in the same situation ?

BTW. I have just one Mac Mini Server. I did't install Lion Server on different computers.
KD4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2
ChrisCW11
macrumors regular

Yup

Same here. Apple's own support forums suggested that you can re-download any previously purchased App from the App store, but they don't mention that you will be charged each time you try to do it.

Apple seriously needs to rethink software distribution if their agenda is to get rid of disk media. There is no reason why my Lion install package should have been deleted on installation of Lion, in case I wanted to make a disk from it. I can't even access it through Time Machine meaning Apple did some magic to even break backups moving to Lion.

I am hoping Apple's customer support is as good and nice as everyone suggests, otherwise I will contact my credit card company with a fraudulent charge claim.

At least you were not charged 121 times as was reported by someone else.
ChrisCW11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
growltiger
macrumors newbie

Ask for a refund

Complain to the App store by posting an issue. They refunded my purchases in short order.

But here is what lead to my refund.

On a non-server MacBook, I purchased the Lion upgrade and installed it. FWIW, the installation was flawless. Next, I went to my server enabled Mac Mini and purchased the upgrade. It insisted I purchase the upgrade. Which I did without much reservation, but I was charged again for the Lion upgrade. That installation was far from flawless as far as the server pieces were concerned.

I reformatted the Mini, reinstalled Snow Leopard server and then went back to the App store to get Lion upgrade on disk so that I could burn a DVD of the installer. No charge this time for the system installer. I would have done the same with the server but I do not know how to do that. I reformatted and built a clean install of Lion. Is it me, but it seems that it takes more time to do a clean Lion install compared to Tiger, Leopard & Snow Leopard. Anyway, I went back to the App store to get the Server app. And I was charged for both Lion and the Server. This time the Server application install was uneventful, although Apple's streamlined server service configuration wizards leave a lot to be desired.

The overcharge was like adding insult to injury after an aborted first Server upgrade. I suppose that I would be less annoyed if my prior service configurations were not get pranged by the upgrade. At least the App store was more than expedient in facilitating a refund for two Lion and one Server application purchases. No requests for more information, just a straight up "we are sorry you were inconvenienced" and an advice regarding the refund. So I suppose Apple gets points for that.
growltiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
temetrepo
macrumors member

Twice, i was charged 5 times.
Had to send them an email, they refunded the money within a few hours.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:54 PM   #5
temetrepo
macrumors member

Cr@p, double post. Sorry

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking