Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
rlu929s
macrumors regular

VPN Solutions

This with Air's. I imagine (like myself) you find yourself on public wifi a lot. What kind of VPN solutions do you use?

I've always used HotSpot VPN, but didn't know if there was a less costly option.
rlu929s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

I reccomened witopia $69 a year for full 256 bit encryption $39 for 128. You can choose to login from anywhere in the world and my speed and ping time stays about the same. Great service overall!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

I use GoldenFrog's VyperVPN. It's one of the only ones I've found that lets you tunnel traffic from a router through a VPN instead of just one host.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Shadoobie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
I use GoldenFrog's VyperVPN. It's one of the only ones I've found that lets you tunnel traffic from a router through a VPN instead of just one host.
Agreed on VyprVPN. You can also run Hamachi seamlessly through VyperVPN. I used HotSpot VPN for six years until I switched to VyprVPN. It's not the cheapest, but it is the fastest and most robust that I've found.
Shadoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:12 AM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68030

I use Witopia and have been very satisfied.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:32 AM   #6
theRick119
macrumors member

VyprVPN sounds interesting. I will have check that out. I have used witopia which I thought was great. I have a personal server that I installed OpenVPN on so that is technically free for me at this point. Love it.
theRick119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:02 AM   #7
droo
macrumors newbie

I run openVPN on my QNAP NAS at home - I just VPN back to it when on public wifi; costs nothing !
droo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:46 AM   #8
rlu929s
macrumors regular

I'm really liking Witopia. I think the $39.99 per year should suffice for my light use and needs.

How are the speeds on it?

I might also look into OpenVPN as free is good as well. Does that require you to have a static IP?
rlu929s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:20 PM   #9
theRick119
macrumors member

For OpenVPN, I'd recommend a service (free) like dyndns. That will provide you with a free host name for your dynamic address.
theRick119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:41 AM   #10
Anelly
macrumors newbie

i think ibVPN is also a good alternative and it's cheap also.
http://www.ibvpn.com
Anelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Moohooya
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by droo View Post
I run openVPN on my QNAP NAS at home - I just VPN back to it when on public wifi; costs nothing !
Which VPN do you use on your QNAP NAS? I'd like to set up a VPN on my QNAP but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Are there any instructions on the Web you followed?
Moohooya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:36 PM   #12
tech324
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
I reccomened witopia $69 a year for full 256 bit encryption $39 for 128. You can choose to login from anywhere in the world and my speed and ping time stays about the same. Great service overall!
When I look at Witopia's web site, $39 a year does not give you SSL. You have to pay $60 or more to get SSL.
tech324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:36 AM   #13
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech324 View Post
When I look at Witopia's web site, $39 a year does not give you SSL. You have to pay $60 or more to get SSL.
I bought the combo. I think it was $70/year. I use SSL for my MBA, and I use the PPTP for my iPhone and/or iPad. I only turn on the VPN when connected to public hotspots.

I previously (foolishly) had not worried about public hot spots. Once firesheep hit the news... I became enlightened. $70/year is cheap protection.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:36 AM   #14
trondah
macrumors 6502

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/...pn-for-iphone/
trondah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:21 AM   #15
CoachSteff
macrumors newbie

How do you run Hamachi through VyperVPN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoobie View Post
Agreed on VyprVPN. You can also run Hamachi seamlessly through VyperVPN. I used HotSpot VPN for six years until I switched to VyprVPN. It's not the cheapest, but it is the fastest and most robust that I've found.
I have a Mac mini that serves as a Hamachi VPN server. My MacBooks connect with it when I'm home or away, so I can access my files and stuff. But I would like that machine to route traffic then through VyperVPN. How can I do that?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Mactabulous
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moohooya View Post
Which VPN do you use on your QNAP NAS? I'd like to set up a VPN on my QNAP but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Are there any instructions on the Web you followed?
The NAS has it's own VPN server, it doesn't connect to any specific service (and to the best of my knowledge, it can't). I use the same procedure myself, in order to gain access to my shares when I'm away from home. However, you will not be concealed in the same manner as when using a third-party VPN service, as all traffic originates from your ISP when you connect to your own NAS (obviously). For privacy, you will need a third-party VPN provider, in order to obscure your IP/host.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:03 PM   #17
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Witopia is nice since it works with os x, windows, and devices. Although lately it doesn't seem to be working in some public places and the speed tests have decreased quite a bit from last year. Started looking around at other providers.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:04 PM   #18
musique
macrumors regular

Witopia recommended

There are probably many services that will suffice. Witopia is the only one I've used and I will be renewing my deal when my contract expires later this year. Although I've never had a problem with the service, on a few occasions I've had a technical question and I've found that their support is virtually immediate. Definitely worth the price for that alone.

Plus, when I first got Witopia, I tried using a few of the speed tests on the web and I could find no discernible difference between Comcast, my ISP, with Witopia and Comcast alone.

Good luck.
musique is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:44 PM   #19
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
Witopia is nice since it works with os x, windows, and devices. Although lately it doesn't seem to be working in some public places and the speed tests have decreased quite a bit from last year. Started looking around at other providers.
Just an update... really pleased with Witopia's support. Took about 10 email exchanges but they gave me a custom solution to connect in a spot where I had never been able to before. Really kind as well in their communication.

Speed has definitely slowed down since I originally signed up with them. Not that I am needing more bandwidth but just an observation... addicted to speedtesting. I'm still happy with them, hopefully the decline in speed is due to more subscribers and they will improve their infrastructure in the coming months.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:55 PM   #20
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Private Internet Access (privateinternetaccess.com) is another good one. Lots of access points and $39 per year. And no logs retained.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Kartram
macrumors newbie

I have never used a third party VPN service before. I have a router that has a VPN server and I use that to remotely login when i am in a public place. What are the advantages to using Witopia or similar service?
Kartram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:10 PM   #22
dyn
macrumors 65816

In terms of privacy and security: not much. You are still completely relying on a 3rd party. It's only a little bit more secure if you use a vpn that actually uses security (there are vpn's without it such as when using pptp) it will secure all of your connections so others on the same wifi network/ap can not eavesdrop. However, because you are using a 3rd party they'll be able to see all of your traffic.
If you want privacy and security then use secure connections to any of the services you use (aka use https when visiting websites, use ssl when connecting to the mailserver, etc.) and tunnel them over a vpn that you completely control. This approach means that you have to set up a vpn yourself which requires not only tools but also knowledge.

It just depends on how much security and privacy you want as well as how much you are willing to tinker with tech.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air