Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:49 PM   #1
sgfernandez
macrumors member

For those who had Seagate 1TB HD recalled: What brand HD did they replace it with?

I just got my Mid 2011 iMac back today after it's 1TB Seagate hard drive was recalled last Friday.

I am very happy to see that it was replaced with a Western Digital (Model WDC WD1001FALS-403AA0, Caviar Black)!! I was fearing that they would just put in another Seagate. I, as well as many others, have had multiple issues with that brand. My old computer's Seagate HD failed on me, and my new iMac's Seagate was recalled. I have also read of many other people's Seagates failing.

On another note, my computer was returned with a lot of debris behind the glass screen. It's very easy to remove and clean with a suction cup, as it's held in by strong magnets, however each time I get rid of the dust I see, new dust appears elsewhere. Anyone have any tips on getting out all the dust thoroughly? There is also a small nick in the aluminum of the stand, which wasn't there before, but I think I can live with that..
sgfernandez is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2
marsmissions
macrumors 6502

Tips for the dust? Work faster.

As for the seagate issue... Your new WD black is going to fail some day too. One failed drive and one recall does not make seagate a bad brand.

I have had a lot of seagates and they've all been fine. I've had WDs too, and one of them failed. That doesn't make WD a bad brand.

Hard drives fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:56 AM   #3
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

for the dust issue, bring it into a Apple Store or Service Provider to thoroughly clean it with the antistatic and lint free tools they have.

Are you putting the glass piece inside of a lint free/anti-static microfoam bag?

For the HDD I'd presume Western Digital/Hitachi....long shot would be Samsung.

Last edited by AppleNewton; Jul 28, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
AppleNewton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:08 AM   #4
sgfernandez
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmissions View Post
Tips for the dust? Work faster.

As for the seagate issue... Your new WD black is going to fail some day too. One failed drive and one recall does not make seagate a bad brand.

I have had a lot of seagates and they've all been fine. I've had WDs too, and one of them failed. That doesn't make WD a bad brand.

Hard drives fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, all hard drives will fail at some point (at least non-SSD drives). I am not saying that Seagate makes all bad drives, nor that WD makes all perfect drives. I was simply pointing out how I personally have had one Seagate drive fail in a short period of time before having my iMac, which also turned out having a defective Seagate drive. I have also read a lot of complaints regarding Seagate drives from others on the Internet, but haven't come across as many WD complaints. And thanks for the tip!

Quote:
for the dust issue, bring it into a Apple Store or Service Provider to thoroughly clean it with the antistatic and lint free tools they have.

Are you putting the glass piece inside of a lint free/anti-static microfoam bag?
AppleNewton: I would originally have brought it into the Apple store, but they are the ones who got the dust back there in the first place lol. They also left a nick in the aluminum exterior, albeit very small. There were no dust particles behind the glass before bringing it in to have the HD replaced. I might have to try the micro foam bag, I'd just have to look for one in the store. Thanks!
sgfernandez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Lagmonster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfernandez View Post

AppleNewton: I would originally have brought it into the Apple store, but they are the ones who got the dust back there in the first place lol. They also left a nick in the aluminum exterior, albeit very small. There were no dust particles behind the glass before bringing it in to have the HD replaced. I might have to try the micro foam bag, I'd just have to look for one in the store. Thanks!
This is why I am so angry. You (and I) should not have to worry about dust, or ever worse, damage, due to this recall. I will continue to buy laptops but this is my last iMac.
Lagmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:07 AM   #6
sgfernandez
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagmonster View Post
This is why I am so angry. You (and I) should not have to worry about dust, or ever worse, damage, due to this recall. I will continue to buy laptops but this is my last iMac.
Yes, I share your anger!! I am beyond frustrated. I feel that they are very careless and that's how I ended up with a nick in the aluminum. It's unacceptable and if they were careful it wouldn't have happened. The dust is driving me crazy as well! Really isn't fair if you ask me. Hoping that when I buy a different microfiber cloth I can clean it better. Did your iMac come back with dust and/or scratches too?
sgfernandez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:35 PM   #7
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfernandez View Post
Yes, I share your anger!! I am beyond frustrated. I feel that they are very careless and that's how I ended up with a nick in the aluminum. It's unacceptable and if they were careful it wouldn't have happened. The dust is driving me crazy as well! Really isn't fair if you ask me. Hoping that when I buy a different microfiber cloth I can clean it better. Did your iMac come back with dust and/or scratches too?
See, this is why I'm probably not going to bother with the recall until the drive dies. I cant be without a computer for 4-5 days or whatever it's going to take them. (They wont confirm having the part over the phone before I take it in) You could always use it without the glass on it. It may even be less reflective!
zerocustom1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:41 PM   #8
Category 5
macrumors member

For the dust, pull the glass off at the top only enough to get the compressed air can straw in side and blow from left to right or vice versa. removing the glass totally will result in more dust elsewhere.

As for hard drives. I was always a Seagate fan, but lately it does seem their drives have a higher failure rate than WD. I don't think they are coping as well with higher density recording. My last 5 seagates yielded three failures within 1 year. I have since switched to WD and no trouble yet. The WD drives run WAY cooler. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Had one WD drive fail in the last 6 years. About 5 Seagates. As I said, I was a Seagate only man for many years, but experience has made me switch. No more Seagates for me.
Category 5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac