Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logistic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Hi peeps!

I recently converted from PC to Mac and I'm still learning my way around lion.
However recently when I check my storage statistic it shows that "Others" have taken up more than 40GB of space I've no idea how to access it and determine the content of it. I'm using a 2 days old MBA so I doubt I've accumulated any 3rd party softwares or hidden programs that are taking up so much storage.

One possiblity that I could think of was while trying to import my photos directly to aperture I notice that it took a hell long of a time to process my photos(5000+ photos) and I decided to force quite aperture half way through and import it to iphoto instead. Could this be the cause that aperture still retains the information on my hdd and resulted in that huge amount of "Others" storage?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Hi peeps!

I recently converted from PC to Mac and I'm still learning my way around lion.
However recently when I check my storage statistic it shows that "Others" have taken up more than 40GB of space I've no idea how to access it and determine the content of it. I'm using a 2 days old MBA so I doubt I've accumulated any 3rd party softwares or hidden programs that are taking up so much storage.

One possiblity that I could think of was while trying to import my photos directly to aperture I notice that it took a hell long of a time to process my photos(5000+ photos) and I decided to force quite aperture half way through and import it to iphoto instead. Could this be the cause that aperture still retains the information on my hdd and resulted in that huge amount of "Others" storage?

The "other" section can be many different things. For the longest time, Lion was calling all of my videos on my external hard drive "other," until it just recently relabeled them. Also, I've seen backups (local snapshots, mostly) get labeled as "other" as well. That doesn't seem likely here since local snapshots shouldn't be taking 40 GB, but it's always a possibility. I definitely wouldn't use that screen to clean your hard drive though, as it's definitely not going to be that accurate. If you really want a nice graphical representation of your hard drive space, consider Daisy Disk (it's paid though, so it might not be worth it to you). Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.