Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I really loved Application Switcher, the list of big icons that appeared in the middle of your screen if you did a four-finger swipe to the left or right. It looked like this:

47vcU.jpg

I can still get it if I do Command+Tab, and then keep holding down Command until I choose the application I want. So Application Switcher is clearly still there. How can I assign a multitouch gesture for it?

Thanks.

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I really loved Application Switcher, the list of big icons that appeared in the middle of your screen if you did a four-finger swipe to the left or right. It looked like this:

I can still get it if I do Command+Tab, and then keep holding down Command until I choose the application I want. So Application Switcher is clearly still there. How can I assign a multitouch gesture for it?

Thanks.

Did you ever figure this out? The only thing I can think of is using BTT "Better Touch Tool" and make it to something like a 5 finger swipe. If anyone else has found an easier way to do this with just the trackpad and preferably without using 5 fingers, let us know please.

fortheloveofmac

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
You can still do that. I turned it off when I was adjusting preferences for the gestures and whatnot. I personally dislike it.

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
cmd + tab ?

I know how to get it with keyboard. I was trying to figure out how to use the 4 finger swipe left and right to bring it up. What I finally ended up doing was unchecking most of the trackpad gesture options off in system pref. Then I used BTT manually create the different gestures that I am used to in snow leopard. Now when I do the 3 finger swipe down, it get mission control. So pretty much you're getting the old expose with a few new features with my old gestures. I'm very happy now. I don't know Apple would take such simple things like that and prevent you from changing it back so you can switch your open programs easily without having to use the keyboard. If anyone is interested, I can post my new gestures and you can import them in to BTT without having to type them in manually.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
+ 1million

So glad to see at least one other person mourning the loss of this functionality. I use it extensively.

When I first bought my mac this was one of my favorite features. I thought it was new. Didn't find out until much later that it was a new gesture for something cmd-tab that had been there before leopard.

You can set application switcher to a gesture in BTT but it doesn't work as well. You can't for instance just quit multiple apps by pressing Q while they are selected. You have to hold down the command key or application switcher closes. You should talk to the BTT developer about it. Maybe if he hears from enough people he'll be motivated to get it working like it does in SL.

And don't forget to send apple feedback. I already have multiple times...they are probably sick of me :eek:

Poseur

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Los Angeles
Yes, Please!

...So pretty much you're getting the old expose with a few new features with my old gestures. I'm very happy now... If anyone is interested, I can post my new gestures and you can import them in to BTT without having to type them in manually.

Thanks for offering to share your new gestures so we can import 'em into BTT, Steve. I've been devastated by the loss of the four finger swipe, which I use hundreds of times a day.

My email is vivaapple at mac dot com.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Gesture between non fullscreen apps

A slightly different question, but I want to swipe directly between all open apps (even those not in fullscreen) rather than having to go through Mission Control or Application Switcher.

How can I do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.