Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:09 PM   #1
macintoshBR
macrumors newbie

Upgrade Macbook Air Retail Stores

Hello

I'm going to be in the USA next month and I want to buy the New macbook air 13'', with core i7 (upgraded). I can't buy it at apple online store because, obviously, my billing address is different from my "mailing address" (hotel address) and Apple just don't accept it.

I was wondering, can I upgrade it to core i7 at any apple physical store or is there any other way to purchase from apple online store?

Please, answers like "buy it in your country" are not helpful at all.

Thank you very much
macintoshBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502

Really? The apple online store has mailed me plenty of stuff even when my billing and shipping address does not correlate. Also you would have to ask if the store has it in stock to know for sure. If by any chance you can stop by 5th ave flagship store here in NYC, I know they have every model in stock.
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:18 PM   #3
macintoshBR
macrumors newbie

At macbook air's page (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html) they say:
"$1599 model configurable to dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache, only at the Apple Online Store."

But, Macbook air store's page (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MjMzOTQxMjE) the terms "only at the Apple Online Store" don't appear.

But your information was very useful. Maybe many other stores have all models, thank you!!

EDIT: Account verification

To prevent any unnecessary delays processing your order, please ensure that the billing addresses on your order matches the information on your credit card account. If you have recently moved or are unsure whether you receive your credit card statement at your work or home address, please contact your card-issuing bank using the 800 number on the back of your credit card to confirm.
(http://store.apple.com/us/help/payme...g4ODk#creditus)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Obscurelight
macrumors 6502

No problem! Good luck in your hunt
Obscurelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:20 PM   #5
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshBR View Post
At macbook air's page (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html) they say:
"$1599 model configurable to dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache, only at the Apple Online Store."

But, Macbook air store's page (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MjMzOTQxMjE) the terms "only at the Apple Online Store" don't appear.

But your information was very useful. Maybe many other stores have all models, thank you!!
The stores in big cities usually have the top-of-the-line models, regardless of what it says on Apple's web site. If you go to a suburban store, they are more likely just to have the base models (but much shorter lines). 5th Avenue in NYC is your best bet, but the Upper West Side store is also good (66th and Broadway). Where in the US are you headed? I'd guess that the flagship store in any big city would have the model you are looking for.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6
kelhart
macrumors newbie

So far as I'm aware, they don't do custom builds at the apple stores.

However, I was surprised to find that they were selling the top of line 11" MBA (i7 with 256Gb SSD) at my local apple store here in Toronto.

On the online store you have to configure it as a custom build. Maybe Apple has figured out that there are folks who like to trick-out their macs and they are starting to stock some top-of-the-line builds along with the stock builds.

So, I expect you should be able to find one.
kelhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

They carry the following models in my local Apple Store.
  • 13" i5 128GB
  • 13" i5 256GB
  • 13" i7 256GB
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:27 PM   #8
macintoshBR
macrumors newbie

In 2009 I went to Orlando-FL and bought a Macbook and the RAM was upgraded to 4gb smoothly at physical store. But this warning in the website concerned me, mainly because now I need a CPU upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Catdog12349
macrumors newbie

I got my 11" i7 256gb at my store. And my store is probably the smallest apple store ever. I didnt think they would have it there but i asked and they did
Catdog12349 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:37 PM   #10
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshBR View Post
In 2009 I went to Orlando-FL and bought a Macbook and the RAM was upgraded to 4gb smoothly at physical store. But this warning in the website concerned me, mainly because now I need a CPU upgrade.
The thing to remember with the Airs is that they are not installing upgrades. They either have the upgraded models in stock or they don't. The RAM and CPU are soldered on. The NYC stores have several of the models in stock, including the 11" and 13" Core i7. I'm guessing a lot of the stores will have the 13" Core i7 and 11" Core i7 256GB. It might just be the 11" Core i7 128GB model that's hard to find. In any case, if you get to a store and they say they don't have it, ask them to check in back. Often times the sales people don't know for sure what's in stock and what isn't.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:41 PM   #11
MJedi
macrumors 6502

As others have mentioned, some (all?) Apple Stores carry the "Ultimate" configuration of the MBA, meaning these MBA's will have all the upgrades in the store. So, they will have 13-inch i7 models in stock.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Pipper99
macrumors 65816

I bought my ultimate 13" MBA at my local Apple store in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Pipper99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:49 PM   #13
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Depending on how good your hotel is, its possible the concierge can bill the cost to your room.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:06 AM   #14
macintoshBR
macrumors newbie

Does anybody know any store with the ultimate 13'' MBA in LA, San Jose or Las Vegas?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:54 AM   #15
P0stalTek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Depending on how good your hotel is, its possible the concierge can bill the cost to your room.
I'd give this a shot. The economy being what it is, hotel chains are really going above and beyond these days to score your return business. If you have a decent credit card on file with them, they would probably at least consider it

Good luck and enjoy your visit (trip)!
P0stalTek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air