Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple released new MacBook Air and Mac mini models alongside OS X Lion last week, the company also updated its other Mac lines to begin shipping them with Lion. But Apple changed a bit more than just the operating system on those models, as MacTrast details with a comparison of a new MacBook Pro with Lion pre-installed to another MacBook Pro purchased just a few months ago.

macbook_pro_boxes_lion_snow_leopard.jpg

The difference between the two versions is immediately obvious from the product packaging, as the artwork now shows a machine with the OS X Lion default desktop image rather than the Mac OS X Snow Leopard one. Apple has also tweaked part numbers and manuals to reflect the change to Lion.

And, as seen in Apple's standalone keyboards, the company has also quietly tweaked the MacBook Pro's keyboard to convert the F3 key's function from Exposé to Mission Control and the F4 key's function from Dashboard to Launchpad.

Finally, Apple no longer includes restore discs of any sort, a move that could cause difficulties for the occasional user who finds the need or desire to perform a clean install of Lion on a bare hard drive. Apple's new MacBook Air and Mac mini models support a Lion feature called Internet Recovery that allows the operating system to be reinstalled to a bare hard drive, but other current hardware now shipping with Lion does not support the feature.

For its part, Apple does not consider hard drives to be user-replaceable components on most machines and would expect users experiencing failures of their hard drives to go through Apple for replacement during the one-year warranty period, under which circumstances Apple would of course provide a replacement drive with Lion installed. But for other circumstances, Apple has clearly made it difficult for users to perform clean installs of OS X Lion on new hard drives on their own. The Lion USB thumb drive set to debut next month will offer one solution for the problem, but represents a separate $69 purchase for users who are already licensed to use Lion through their machine purchases.

Article Link: Apple's Existing Mac Lines Tweaked for OS X Lion

labaom

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
Wow them changing the keyboard to Mission Control officially ********* expose.... now there is no turning back. Dang it! I am moving back to Windows when SL isn't supported anymore...

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Wow them changing the keyboard to Mission Control officially ********* expose.... now there is no turning back. Dang it! I am moving back to Windows when SL isn't supported anymore...

Good luck with Windows 8.

Sincerely

Lion users

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Totally random, but I can't wait till Apple removes ALL physical media drives from the laptop line. Why? Solely for LOLLING at responses on this forum.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Finally, Apple no longer includes restore discs of any sort, a move that could cause difficulties for the occasional user who finds the need or desire to perform a clean install of Lion on a bare hard drive.

Clone your original drive. Then if you need to restore, simply clone the original drive back. Problem solved.

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
No Physical media? Wrong.

You don't have to purchase Apple's flash drive installation option if you've already purchased Lion from the app store. All you have to do is buy an 8GB flash drive from Best Buy or somewhere and copy the installation image to the drive using Disk Utility. Then you've only spent $20 or so extra instead of $69 extra.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
Mission Control IS Expose (mixed with spaces). I guess anyone who couldn't figure tha out deserves Wind0ze, sheesh.

On the lack of restore discs: does Apple allow you to tie OEM Lion to your iTunes account? If it does you could download the Lion installer any time and install it from a USB stick. If it doesn't... Wow that sux!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I don't mind a diskless future

But damn Apple, do it right! Until iCloud arrives, currently you can purchase and download something once from the app/music store, and then you can't get it again. I was charged twice for Lion after the first installation was botched (by the Lion installer on a RAID disk). I lost the original installer and so was made aware you can supposedly re-download content off the App store, however this just cause me to re-buy the installer again.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I currently have no complaints about lion after setting up 3 new machines the last week. I am impressed at how quickly the downloads were and install in general. That said being an old physical media whore I will kind of miss having recovery discs around. Also windows 7 is better than I expected it to be.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Windows 7 is amazing. So is Snow Leopard and Lion. You do know that two great products can co-exists right?

Windows 7 is amazing in the windows world, but I think we can all agree it would make a poor replacement for OS X. The value of a glass of water in the desert is far greater than in the middle of the sea. ;)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Finally, Apple no longer includes restore discs of any sort, a move that could cause difficulties for the occasional user who finds the need or desire to perform a clean install of Lion on a bare hard drive.

I called it months ago and got downranked to oblivion for it. I also got a good dose of name calling and insults over it.

Care to apologize to me now doubters ?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Windows 7 is amazing. So is Snow Leopard and Lion. You do know that two great products can co-exists right?

I run Windows 7 Home Premium on my Windows Box and Bootcamp. an excellent operating system.

I am comparing Microsofts run of success, we had Windows 98 (SE) then Windows ME, then the success of XP followed with Vista.

They seem to have a good/bad ratio in their development, Windows 8 I fear will be continuing that trend but it is too early to know yet.

Otherwise users who switch to Windows due to Lion and lack of SL support could find themselves in the same argument in Windows forums ;)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Clone your original drive. Then if you need to restore, simply clone the original drive back. Problem solved.

"mom you need to ask the clerk for a 16 GB SD Card"
"My son says I need a sixteen slice of bread cart do you have those?"
"mom 16 GB SD CARD not cart"
"oh but I don't think they sell cars around here"
-_-

(later that evening)

"ok mom open CCC, then set the source to "Macintosh HD" and the target to "sd card".
"ok"
"now click start"
"ok. the target was the Macintosh HD and the source was the SD card right?"
"WTF? NO! OMG CLICK STOP CLICK STOP"

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Windows 7 is amazing in the windows world, but I think we can all agree it would make a poor replacement for OS X. The value of a glass of water in the desert is far greater than in the middle of the sea. ;)

Try drinking a few glasses of salt water and call me when you need a kidney transplant.

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
But damn Apple, do it right! Until iCloud arrives, currently you can purchase and download something once from the app/music store, and then you can't get it again. I was charged twice for Lion after the first installation was botched (by the Lion installer on a RAID disk). I lost the original installer and so was made aware you can supposedly re-download content off the App store, however this just cause me to re-buy the installer again.

I don't get it because icloud is already available in the app store under the purchased tab...does it not work with Lion?

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
This is just one more reason as to why I finally called it quits on Apple after being a mac user for 9 years. I went back to Windows, and I gotta say I love me some Windows 7.

I don't mean to sound soo negative, but Steve's thoughts that no one uses CD's anymore is recockulous. Not everyone has high speed internet...and sadly...some people still don't have internet at all (shudders).

Also.. Apple sure has gotten a lot more greedy in the last few years. $69 for a USB stick!!!
Don't get me wrong... I really like OSX, but Apple is dumbing down the idea of owning a computer soo much. I actually enjoy cracking open my stuff and swaping out parts. I don't want to pay Apple to replace a hard drive for $200 when I can buy a hard drive at best buy for $40 and do it myself.

guan

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011

Or if you are technically competent enough to replace hard drives and do all of this, just clone the recovery partition. Less to store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.