Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

office.jpg

Microsoft is "working hard" to enable Lion-specific features in Office, according to a post on the Office for Mac blog.
Yes, we are working hard with Apple to enable versioning, auto save, and full-screen for Office for Mac 2011. I know your next question will be "when?", and unfortunately I can't answer that - but it's likely measured in months not days - just to set expectations.
Pat Fox, the author of the post, also reminds users that Office for Mac 2004 will never work under Lion, because it is a PowerPC application and Apple has dropped support for PPC apps with the end of Rosetta support.

Also, Microsoft has fixed a nasty bug in Microsoft Communicator that caused a crash whenever an instant message was sent. It promises that update in the "next day or so."

Article Link: MSFT: Lion Features Coming to Office "In Months, Not Days"

FroMann

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
North Carolina, USA.
Office still does what I need it to do when I go back to class, but I was hoping to have these features around August or September.

Last edited:

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

"Also, our development team is
made up of trained monkeys. We're hoping the 'room full of monkeys eventually write Shakespeare' thing translates to programming as well."

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

dscuber9000 said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

"Also, our development team is
made up of trained monkeys. We're hoping the 'room full of monkeys eventually write Shakespeare' thing translates to programming as well."

"it was the best of times it was the blorst of times..."

Jeff42037

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Macrumors and the bias against Microsoft....

Odd Macrumors left out the part that Microsoft is issuing an update to make the programs stable in the next few days. Office 2011 > iWork all day!

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Microsoft....always one step behind :mad:

It's not like Lion came out last week with these features without warnings. MS had access to the new builds long in advance to make sure they could deliver an update in a timely manner

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Wirelessly posted (This odd thing that I hold: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

4God said:
I thought I read somewhere that Office 2008 doesn't work under Lion either. Is this true?

Office 2008 works under Lion, but you can't install it on Lion. The installer is non-Intel and requires Rosetta.

If u have it on Snow Leopard, it should carry on working after the upgrade to Lion. Not sure if Office Update will work in Lion though.

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Good job Microsoft! I guess they're trying to help push iWork as a better product.

Not trying to troll Office. If it works for you, that's great. But seriously, how long has Microsoft had access to Lion that they could have gotten Office updated before it was even released to the public, let alone months after it'll be released.

Jeff42037

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
No third party developers have Auto-Save or versions yet... So I do not know what all the pissing and moaning is about :rolleyes:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Usual ************ from Microsoft..

Took them what, 4 years to finally get Messenger to have some sort of crappy webcam support. I reckon versioning etc will be available for Office 2012 or 2013, whenever the next major update is.

Months in Microsoft talk means years.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Their programming team is completely inept. Time and time again they prove this statement to be correct.

DNice1702

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
I have yet to upgrade to Lion and I'm just curious; what are the features everyone's yearning for? This thread mentions Resume along with auto-save and Versions.

What are the other features?

I can't really see how they'll improve on the Full Screen view....but that was available without Lion.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
No third party developers have Auto-Save or versions yet... So I do not know what all the pissing and moaning is about :rolleyes:

This is incorrect. Mindnode does, in fact the feature was released about the same time as Lion was released. I guess those guys have dev accounts. :cool:

I know with certainty that Fullscreen isn't hard to implement now, in fact, that's the whole point of OS-wide support. Same with versions and autosave.

Completely unrelated, but I just found this picture of steve jobs from the recent keynote at moscone west:
ba-apple07_0503584636.jpg

How sweet.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Guess they don't have an Mac OS Dev. account :rolleyes:

Exactly. Steve Balmer couldn't spring for the $99?

The blog post makes it sound like Microsoft had to wait until Lion's release to begin working on adding the features, not like they'd had an opportunity since the first developer release at the end of February.

ddeklerk

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Don't buy Office for Mac in the first place due to compatibility issue

Dear all,

Check whether the new version is able to export your (valuable) email inbox to different extensions. Currently you're only able to export to Office for Mac 2010 (not even 2008)! With an eye to iCloud, I decided to give Apple's mail, calendar and address book a try... The trouble I've been through to get the email transferred.

Kind regards.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Big, massive, complex apps with long histories, massive developer teams, and massive testing programs, are slow to change. Maybe all these features are easy to do for Office, as they have been easy with (some) other apps; and maybe no consequences or bugs will result from the changes. Maybe. Or maybe this really is something that needs to be done right, albeit slower than we’d like. An update which has to happen in parallel with whatever other updates/projects they are also working on. Two sets of changes at cross-purposes are not always simple to pull off.

So I give Microsoft credit in this case: at least they’re not waiting for the next big paid version, nor playing “wait and see.” I wonder how Adobe’s handling these features....

(And there’s a difference between a compatibility/fix update, which should get the maximum rush, vs. a feature update. It sounds like Office is already compatible with Lion, but if there are serious bugs, I’d expect them squashed sooner than “months.”)

Exactly. Steve Balmer couldn't spring for the $99?

The blog post makes it sound like Microsoft had to wait until Lion's release to begin working on adding the features, not like they'd had an opportunity since the first developer release at the end of February.

How do we know that work on these features isn’t partly done, and has long since been in progress? Yes, it’s amazing to think that changing one part of a software program could impact other parts, and that it could take months and months. But that is in fact the case sometimes. Is it the case here, or is the Mac BU just being slow and not caring? The latter might be true, I won’t deny--but I don’t think we have the evidence to accuse them yet.

P.S. I’m not biased: I use OpenOffice :)

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
They had me at "versions". :cool:

I know it's hip to 'dis Microsoft around here, but Office:mac is the reason I can have a PC-free household. The Mac BU is a good group of people that don't get enough credit for the work they do, IMO.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
This is great news. Once I learned how to properly use the styles drawer I really started to love how easy it is to make great documents in Microsoft Word.

I don't know why people bash the OSX division of microsoft so much. 2011 is a great product, easier to use than 2010 and a huge improvement over 2008.

Also, if you've read any of the developer documentation you would know that this is a pretty substantial change to an extremely critical part of their product that will require a lot of work and even more testing given how extremely critical the process of saving is.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Wish I could ditch Office completely, but iWork compatibility isn't good enough -- probably no fault of Apple's

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
@res1233 - MindNode is just awesome ;p

And the fact that these features will come in months was to be expected. It's not an easy thing to code, as it's a new OS after all (though still OS X). I have no rush though, I have been using Office as it still is and at least haven't had the need to have these implementations working. In fact I just might disable Resume as I can't picture myself opening a new word doc every now and then and have my 10 previous projects open up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.