Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Items I have:
500GB HDD (with all of my data, on Lion, in my computer)
256GB SSD (Crucial- BLANK, still in the box)
SATA to USB 2.0 Adapter
External enclosure for the HDD with USB to mini USB (empty right now)
Carbon Copy Cloner
Bootable DVD of OS X Lion
DVD with Firmware 2 for my Crucial SSD

What would be the BEST way to transfer my HDD to my SSD, while maintaining all of my files,settings, and the Lion Recovery Partition (I don't think CCC can copy this).

Would it be safe to swap my HDD out for the SSD without having a backup, pop the HDD into the enclosure, clean install Lion from my DVD, download CCC again, connect my computer with the enclosure and transfer the HDD back over? Would my HDD keep all of my data intact while I am installing Lion? At what point in this process do I install Firmware 2 on my SSD, before installing Lion?

Thoughts?Thanks.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish in the long run, but it sounds like you want to use the SSD as your boot drive. And I assume you have room on the smaller disk.

You need a backup, unless all the stuff you have is pretty worthless.

I'd install a system on the SSD via your computer's disks, and then migrate from the HDD. You'd have two drives, one as a backup. Once you've set up the SSD as your boot drive, you can begin using the HDD as a backup, with time machine or whatever backup strategy suits you.

BTW, there is no "clean" install option for Lion anymore. IMHO it's unnecessary anyway if you keep your machine well-maintained. I've seen as many if not more problems with people who attempted "clean" installs of Lion only to mess up by improperly copying files manually.

You probably should install that firmware update before you commit to doing all this to insure that SSD works properly.

And what machine are you using?

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.