Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Pretty well actually, just thought id show anyone worrying about 2gb Ram that it runs very well I've attached a screenshot to prove how well the base MBA handles Ram.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-29 at 15.25.40.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-07-29 at 15.25.40.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
The SSD helps a lot in this case. :)

Where did you get your air from out of interest ?

Apple online store, had the best offers free printer and €75 euro gift card for Apps and 12% discount. CompuB hadn't even gotten them in yet(last friday when i ordered)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Apple online store, had the best offers free printer and €75 euro gift card for Apps and 12% discount. CompuB hadn't even gotten them in yet(last friday when i ordered)

Yeah I rang around on launch day and the day after to see if I could track any down in the country but to no avail.

Snotty guy at CompuB in Limerick tried to convince me that new machines were USA only and that "if they had upgraded to i5 & i7's he would know!" :rolleyes: I just hung up and ordered online instead myself. Though I'm still waiting for delivery because I ordered the i7 11" model.

I didn't get the printer (hadn't realized there was free printer off) but did order the €75 euro gift card as well.

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Yeah I rang around on launch day and the day after to see if I could track any down in the country but to no avail.

Snotty guy at CompuB in Limerick tried to convince me that new machines were USA only and that "if they had upgraded to i5 & i7's he would know!" :rolleyes: I just hung up and ordered online instead myself. Though I'm still waiting for delivery because I ordered the i7 11" model.

I didn't get the printer (hadn't realized there was free printer off) but did order the €75 euro gift card as well.

CompuB have some awfully trained staff for the most part, one time my friend was buying a MBP and he brought his student id to get discount and the guy working in there said "I'm too lazy to go and get it" what kind of impression does that leave :eek: They are probably trying to get people who aren't in the know to buy the 2010's and not know any different because they advent got any new airs in yet.

USA only? thats just ridiculous you don't even have to like Apple or even computers to see the ridiculousness of that. I missed the printer option first off but rang apple and asked if i could still avail of the offer and they told me to order separately and they would give me the printer rebate in a good will gesture so that was nice of them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I missed the printer option first off but rang apple and asked if i could still avail of the offer and they told me to order separately and they would give me the printer rebate in a good will gesture so that was nice of them.

Really, good catch. Will have to try that :)

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Nice! So the 2GB version is enough for normal work like browsing. music, movies and office. Good to know!

Easily the SSD makes the RAM less significant than say in a Hard Drive based machine, just to prove that it is the 2gb of Ram MBA here is another screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-01 at 22.48.19.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-01 at 22.48.19.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 432

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Easily the SSD makes the RAM less significant than say in a Hard Drive based machine, just to prove that it is the 2gb of Ram MBA here is another screenshot.

How does it work really? Just pages out to the SSD? Also, would love to see a screenshot with Activity Monitor if you'd be so kind :rolleyes:

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
How does it work really? Just pages out to the SSD? Also, would love to see a screenshot with Activity Monitor if you'd be so kind :rolleyes:

nearly 300mb free and 330mb inactive so still 630mb of ram ready to be used

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-01 at 23.44.33.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-01 at 23.44.33.png
    554.6 KB · Views: 311

kim2272

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
I received my base 11" today and it handles all of my applications with ease and doesn't seem to struggle like my white unibody macbook did. I am very pleased that I did not have to upgrade to the 4GB/128GB model. Now the extra $200 can be spent on other Apple gadgets :p

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
I received my base 11" today and it handles all of my applications with ease and doesn't seem to struggle like my white unibody macbook did. I am very pleased that I did not have to upgrade to the 4GB/128GB model. Now the extra $200 can be spent on other Apple gadgets :p

Im almost trying to make mine have to sweat on purpose just for the sheer purpose of trying to find its limits, and so far its the fastest PC or Mac I've used regularly.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Pretty well actually, just thought id show anyone worrying about 2gb Ram that it runs very well I've attached a screenshot to prove how well the base MBA handles Ram.

Cool, please show us the page outs at the same time. 1.25 gb or RAM is taken after boot for me. I'm paging out with 4GB, It's a shame they don't allow 8 - my mba is probably going back (for many reasons not just ram, but that's a big one)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

Ahh, so here it is. thanks.

1.4 gb of page outs. that answers the question of whether 4gb is worth an upgrade. Having a bunch of apps open and doing nothing is not really a good test.

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Cool, please show us the page outs at the same time. 1.25 gb or RAM is taken after boot for me. I'm paging out with 4GB, It's a shame they don't allow 8 - my mba is probably going back (for many reasons not just ram, but that's a big one)

Look at the screenshot 3 posts up.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

sorry but for the extra $200 to get double the storage and double the ram anyone who buys the base air is foolish. Normally for $200 apple would give you a insignificantly better cpu. In this case they take the storage up to a usable level and the ram up to a usable level, its a key upgrade imo

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
sorry but for the extra $200 to get double the storage and double the ram anyone who buys the base air is foolish. Normally for $200 apple would give you a insignificantly better cpu. In this case they take the storage up to a usable level and the ram up to a usable level, its a key upgrade imo

I disagree but each to their own

not everyone can afford $200 more whenever the base model does most tasks fine.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid

Yep thanks for the screen! In practice though what happens is that the moment you truly begin using the app the memory it needs will rise, at the moment of the shot the memory levels for each of the apps were just as minimum as it would get (they were simply open, not actually being put to their intended use). It's still great that you have RAM left after that though. A more realistic scenario would be to have Chrome with 6-7 tabs open, iTunes, and some Office doc thrown in there. I guess that would stress the RAM a bit.

Regardless though and because of how SSDs work, when the OS is out of physical RAM it uses the SSD as virtual RAM and given the speeds of this drive, you don't notice the otherwise laggy system you would have if you owned an average HDD with 10MB/s write tops. So while the system might run out of RAM, the SSD kicks in and the difference shouldn't be all that noticeable. Ideally though one should aim at having as fewer page outs as possible so as to get the most out of their setup. Off topic I know, but as a way of comparison, my 8GB laptop has 2MB page outs and 36GB page ins. Granted, 8GB is probably a bit too much for the 'light user'. Unfortunately RAM in the MBAs is not user upgradable otherwise one could just buy two 4GB sticks for a little less than $70!

Personally speaking though, I've owned this MBP for a few months now and I could never go back from the 8GB I put in it. The 13" comes with 4GB and that's as far as an Air can handle at this point in time. Next year with Haswell CPUs we will see 4GB as an entry level (about time, really)... and if I follow my logic we could assume 8GB RAM upgrades in next year's Air will be a reality. The price, however, will be out of this reality ;)

Thanks for the input Adam :cool:

Last edited:

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Yep thanks for the screen! In practice though what happens is that the moment you truly begin using the app the memory it needs will rise, at the moment of the shot the memory levels for each of the apps were just as minimum as it would get (they were simply open, not actually being put to their intended use). It's still great that you have RAM left after that though. A more realistic scenario would be to have Chrome with 6-7 tabs open, iTunes, and some Office doc thrown in there. I guess that would stress the RAM a bit.

Regardless though and because of how SSDs work, when the OS is out of physical RAM it uses the SSD as virtual RAM and given the speeds of this drive, you don't notice the otherwise laggy system you would have if you owned an average HDD with 10MB/s write tops. So while the system might run out of RAM, the SSD kicks in and the difference shouldn't be all that noticeable. Ideally though one should aim at having as fewer page outs as possible so as to get the most out of their setup. Off topic I know, but as a way of comparison, my 8GB laptop has 2MB page outs and 36GB page ins. Granted, 8GB is probably a bit too much for the 'light user'. Unfortunately RAM in the MBAs is not user upgradable otherwise one could just buy two 4GB sticks for a little less than $70!

Personally speaking though, I've owned this MBP for a few months now and I could never go back from the 8GB I put in it. The 13" comes with 4GB and that's as far as an Air can handle at this point in time. Next year with Haswell CPUs we will see 4GB as an entry level (about time, really)... and if I follow my logic we could assume 8GB RAM upgrades in next year's Air will be a reality. The price, however, will be out of this reality ;)

Thanks for the input Adam :cool:

well said!! three programs active with chrome having 5 tabs open, im already eating 2.68gb of ram.

123upsl.png

had 2gb of ram in my 2010 air. wasn't too bad. SSD made up for it but when it choked, it choked hard. those 2 gigs would really bite me in my ass sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.