Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
So we have a family desktop and i don't have a laptop or anything so i was getting ready to purchase an ipad because i didin't want to shell out 1000 buks for a new macbook and i figured an ipad would be better than a 500 dollar pc netbook thing. before i was going to buy it though i searched used macbooks to see if there was a cheap used macbook i could buy. I found a lot of Macbook 13.3" 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, for a bout 500 buks used. I don't really know anything baout this computer and what ilife it comes with and os and what os it can be upgraded to. basically i am looking for all you smart people out there to give me some information and also opinions on buying this or an ipad2. by the way i am in 9th grade if that would change any opinions. thank you! oh also not sure if i should be putting this in the ipad or macbook forum sooo i just put it in the ipad sorry if i put it in the wrong place.:D

jbud72

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Given that you are just entering high school, I couldn't imagine that your assignments wouldn't be able to be done on the family desktop. With that said, go for the iPad since you are likely going to be using it for Internet, social media, etc. Save your money to get a nice laptop for when you enter college and really NEED a laptop.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
It really depends on what you are going to be doing with it. I think your own laptop would ultimately be more useful... you can use it for school and stuff.

Given that you are just entering high school, I couldn't imagine that your assignments wouldn't be able to be done on the family desktop. With that said, go for the iPad since you are likely going to be using it for Internet, social media, etc. Save your money to get a nice laptop for when you enter college and really NEED a laptop.

I can see this, too

XTXUXBXSX

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

My suggestion would be like jbud72's but even taken farther- save your money! There will always be something bigger and harder coming out. I just graduated from high school and let me say things don't get any cheaper. Every year is more expensive than the last for both you and your parents. My suggestion would be, like jbud72, to do your assignments on your family destop and get another personal device for media, browsing, social networking etc. That device could be an iPad2 or even something as little as a previous gen iPod touch, if you don't already have one.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010

this is exactly what I have been thinking thank you for the answer

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

My suggestion would be like jbud72's but even taken farther- save your money! There will always be something bigger and harder coming out. I just graduated from high school and let me say things don't get any cheaper. Every year is more expensive than the last for both you and your parents. My suggestion would be, like jbud72, to do your assignments on your family destop and get another personal device for media, browsing, social networking etc. That device could be an iPad2 or even something as little as a previous gen iPod touch, if you don't already have one.

yah i bought a 2g ipod touch 2 years ago but it is about out of space all filled with music and no apps. i would be buying a new 32 gb touch for 300 soon anyways so i thought i should just get an ipad instead. does this sound good? also if the used laptop is the same price (500) does it make sense to get that instead of ipad?

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I like others in this thread say save your money for a laptop for when you go to college. Though of you are really desperate for an iPad you could always pick up a refurbish gen1 iPad from Apple for relatively cheap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.