Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:10 PM   #1
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

POSSIBLE FIX: Why does it take so long to wakeup?

Waking from closed lid after being asleep for a while, it almost feels as long as powering it up. Anyone found a fix yet?

So much for instant on...

There have been discussions about the issue pertaining to WiFi.

**** THE POSSIBLE FIX ****

Assign yourself a static ip - or dhcp with manual address. It 'seems' to have fixed this issue for me, without having to disable wifi.

Please post feedback on this solution. Cheers.

Last edited by h00ligan; Jul 30, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2
weespeed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
Waking from closed lid after being asleep for a while, it almost feels as long as powering it up. Anyone found a fix yet?

So much for instant on...
I noticed that too. Also after I log in, It seems to take quite awhile. It'll just sit there at the Login window then it'll log in.

I think it's Lion. Seems to have lots of bugs.
Sometimes in full screen mode, when I go all the way up, the menu is supposed to drop for me to get out of full screen mode, but nothing happens. I have to option tab to get to finder etc. Also lots of little freezes here and there.
weespeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

For me it's even to get to the login screen. The longer it's asleep, the longer it takes to awaken. I did an smc reset, didn't help. After sleeping 3 hours it took 12 seconds before I could put my password in. After sleeping half an hour it took 5.

Must be a bug
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
eckthroi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by weespeed View Post
I noticed that too. Also after I log in, It seems to take quite awhile. It'll just sit there at the Login window then it'll log in.

I think it's Lion. Seems to have lots of bugs.
Sometimes in full screen mode, when I go all the way up, the menu is supposed to drop for me to get out of full screen mode, but nothing happens. I have to option tab to get to finder etc. Also lots of little freezes here and there.
same problems here too
eckthroi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:37 PM   #5
weespeed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckthroi View Post
same problems here too
What really sucks is I just did a test with a co-workers early 2010 13 MBP. It has C2D 8gb ram and 750 WD Scorpio drive.

From sleep his wakes up as fast or faster than my new i7 Air. From login window his takes couple seconds then logs in. Mine takes forever.

Wish I could go back to SL and keep some of the new features of Lion.

It's starting to annoy me..
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:15 PM   #6
mkelly
macrumors member

Quote:
What really sucks is I just did a test with a co-workers early 2010 13 MBP. It has C2D 8gb ram and 750 WD Scorpio drive.

From sleep his wakes up as fast or faster than my new i7 Air. From login window his takes couple seconds then logs in. Mine takes forever.
My 13" i5 wakes up very fast. Not quite as fast as SL, but certainly nowhere as slow as you folks are talking about (and I have an 11" 2010 MBA w/SL on it for comparison).

What happens if you turn off wifi & then try to wake up from sleep? There have been reports of WiFi issues in Lion & I'm wondering if your system is spinning its wheels trying to re-establish its wifi connection.
mkelly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:26 PM   #7
weespeed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelly View Post
My 13" i5 wakes up very fast. Not quite as fast as SL, but certainly nowhere as slow as you folks are talking about (and I have an 11" 2010 MBA w/SL on it for comparison).

What happens if you turn off wifi & then try to wake up from sleep? There have been reports of WiFi issues in Lion & I'm wondering if your system is spinning its wheels trying to re-establish its wifi connection.
YES!!! That's it. I turned off wifi and it went from log in window to desktop in sec.

So it's a wifi bug in Lion..
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:45 PM   #8
eckthroi
macrumors regular

Quote:
YES!!! That's it. I turned off wifi and it went from log in window to desktop in sec.

So it's a wifi bug in Lion..
Same thing here- problem fixed when I turned off wifi- thanks

Now if I could just get it to stop freezing (when playing angry birds)
eckthroi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Interesting.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

Speaking from 2010 with Lion I simply do not have this issue, but I can point out some differences. I don't use the log in screen when resuming from sleep, and I keep wifi on.
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:24 PM   #11
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

My 2007 loses wifi upon wake with lion, which may explain the reason it wakes instantly. I never really thought it could get a whole lot fster than that machine...which is a split second, hence the concern that a machine actually touted for wake speed was so slow to do so.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:25 PM   #12
KPOM
macrumors G3

There are several threads on this, and it appears to be a common issue on the 2011s. Let's see if updates fix this, since this obviously isn't the experience we all had on the 2010s, and I'm sure Apple knows it.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:38 PM   #13
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I also suspect that either the new machines' firmware, or Lion itself, sets the deep sleep (suspend) mode to kick in much, much sooner than on previous machine.

For example, my aluminum MacBook will sit in sleep mode when I close the lid and remain that way for a day or two until the battery is completely depleted. Then if I plug it in and start it up, it'll load the suspend image off the HD. This takes a good 20-30 seconds or so. And the battery will be completely empty.

The new Airs, from what I can tell, enter the deep sleep/suspend mode after a couple of hours so the battery doesn't continue to drain. This is why it takes 10 seconds or to reload the image off the SSD. But the battery won't be dead.

Coming out of (light) sleep mode, I agree should be a little faster, but it looks to me like it's a wifi-reconnect cycle occurring BEFORE the desktop comes up and not after. That's why turning off the wifi before closing the lid speeds up the wake cycle.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:18 AM   #14
Typswif2fingers
macrumors 6502

I also just noticed that if I have my MBA running on battery, if I let it go to sleep (I have it on 1 minute inactivity setting), it usually wakes up the first time.. But if it goes to sleep soon after again, when I press a button/trackpad the screen powers up but it does not come on... I am required to restart it.

If it does come up, usually after extended time, the screen flickers...

Anyone noticed anything similar?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:23 AM   #15
alecgold
macrumors 6502

I had migrated throug tiger, leopards, snow leopard and with a 15" MacBook, 13" MacBook white, unibody, mbp13", mba13" but when I get my new mba11" I intend to install everything fresh. I had a lot of lag and odd behavior lately, so I decided to make some time and go throug the library with a fine comb. It helped a lot. So I guess that six or seven years do accumulate a lot of debris.
alecgold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:27 AM   #16
n1tut
macrumors regular

Not sure what mode it goes into when you close the lid, but that is what I do every night in bed after two hours on battery, and when I lift the lid in the morning the battery% is the same as when I finished, and it immediately opens up to where I left off.

I am on Lion now on a 2010, and it was the same with Leopard.

tut
n1tut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:34 AM   #17
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tut View Post
Not sure what mode it goes into when you close the lid, but that is what I do every night in bed after two hours on battery, and when I lift the lid in the morning the battery% is the same as when I finished, and it immediately opens up to where I left off.

I am on Lion now on a 2010, and it was the same with Leopard.

tut
A lot of people are reporting that their 2011s lose more than expected in deep sleep. Perhaps it's something to do with the 2011s.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:31 AM   #18
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
A lot of people are reporting that their 2011s lose more than expected in deep sleep. Perhaps it's something to do with the 2011s.
More likely some interaction between Lion and the hardware in the 2011s. I'm noticing the same behaviour (the loss isn't drastic, but not as minimal as the 2010 was either). I'd guess Lion is failing to power something down when the machine is in this state.
DannySmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:47 PM   #19
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Edited the first post with possible fix. Seems to be working for me.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:54 PM   #20
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Edited the first post with possible fix. Seems to be working for me.
Out of curiosity, what brand of router are you using?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:03 PM   #21
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySmurf View Post
Out of curiosity, what brand of router are you using?
Airport extreme.

The fix doesn't work, fwiw. Sorry.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:24 PM   #22
Bottomsup
macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure its lion and not the 2011s

I have a 2010 11" MBA I upgraded to lion and it began exhibiting this behavior. It didn't with SL.

I also bought a 2011 11" MBA and it has the same issue. Its not horribly long but noticably slower
Bottomsup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:34 PM   #23
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomsup View Post
I'm pretty sure its lion and not the 2011s

I have a 2010 11" MBA I upgraded to lion and it began exhibiting this behavior. It didn't with SL.

I also bought a 2011 11" MBA and it has the same issue. Its not horribly long but noticably slower
Yeah, same here. A few extra seconds before the system is usable. Certainly not boot-time long.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:47 PM   #24
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Depends how long it sleeps. It can take close to the same time after a long slumber.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:52 PM   #25
MilkMan4
macrumors regular

Quote:

**** THE POSSIBLE FIX ****

Assign yourself a static ip - or dhcp with manual address. It 'seems' to have fixed this issue for me, without having to disable wifi.

Please post feedback on this solution. Cheers.
how is this done?
MilkMan4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air