Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you use to clean your MacBook Pro screen?

• Nothing! Just a cloth.

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • I use some Water with my cloth.

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • I use glass cleaner (or something that's not water but is wet)

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • Cleaning the screen? Never done it, never will :P

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I'm sure this has been here before, but I couldn't find it.

So comment on the poll and tell me what you use... keep in mind I have the glossy screen so (I think) it's a glass panel in front of the LCD.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Water and a Microfiber. I still use the one that came with the MBP.

I used to do this weekly or biweekly, but I let it ride to see how it turns out and found it to be kind of unnecessary to do it that often. I clean the the whole MacBook Pro, screen included of course, about every month or two.

It's doesn't get grimy at all. I wash myself.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10902&cs_id=1090201&p_id=5177&seq=1&format=2

It's the fire. Also use it to clean all my electronics; MacBookPros, Windows laptops, iPhones, TVs(LED-LCD, LCD, Plasma, DLP, rear projection), LCD monitors, I even spray some on the microfiber it comes with and wipe down the keyboard on my MacBookPro. Whenever I place a mono price order I get at least 3-4, can never have too many. And whenever anyone asks about what I use to clean stuff, I just give them one.

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I purchased a small spray bottle and filled it with distilled water, and I also picked up a couple of optical grade microfiber cloths. The whole kit by the time it was all said and done cost around $5.00.

I start with a quick spray of water onto a folded microfiber cloth, clean the display, and then buff it dry with the other side of the cloth in a circular motion starting at the top left moving across to the right edge and then working down to the bottom of the display, then I also clean around the edge of the display for good measure.

When I clean my computer I usually have the display tilted all the way back, allowing me to also clean the display hinge where dust tends to accumulate over time. It gets cleaned a couple times a month, as needed.

The result? A MacBook Pro that still looks brand new. :)

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Try not touching the screen, works much better.

For dust I just use a microfiber cloth, no need to add anything extra.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Try not touching the screen, works much better.

For dust I just use a microfiber cloth, no need to add anything extra.

This is all good and well except for the part at the top with the webcam that you touch every time you open the lid xD

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I own a 15" 2011 with the anti-glare screen. I use iKlear and the micro-fibre cloth provided. If I just need to do a quick wipe of the screen, I use the iKlear micro-fibre keyboard protector that came in the iKlear kit.

Last edited:

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
Normally I use a dry microfiber cloth but for stubborn stains i use a lightly moist cotton t-shirt.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Not all microfiber clothes are created equal.

The key appears to be in the weaving pattern and characteristics at the microscopic level of the fibers. I've found that the 3M brand works best for me. It actually feels almost rough on your skin because it's so fine, that it's fibers are getting caught on the small imperfections of your skin.

That 3M cloth will pick up almost anything dry, but with a bit of water, it has always cleaned up my screens. Just make sure that your microfiber cloth is free of debris before you clean your screen. They pick up all debris and you can reapply that debris back to the screen and cause scratches.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Yeh be careful when cleaning anti-glare screens, some people have marred theirs.

I use smaller microfiber from one of the ones I use on our vehicles (from autogeek, none of that store bought junk that leaves the fiber threads)., along with some detail cleaning spray. I use Duragloss FC&S as it's a great cleaner and reduces static, I notice way less dust and cat hair sticking to the screen vs using the normal computer cleaners or water. I also have this excellent targus cloth I go years ago that I use on everything from the computers to tv screens, it's held up great.. never found it again.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
i use eyeglass cleaner that the eye doctor gave me for my glasses. if it works for fragile pieces of eye wear, why not the macbookpro? Lol

i get free refils for it too so im covered for the lifetime of the macbook pro ...well as long as i have the bottle lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.