Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
A few years ago I stopped encoding mp3s and now only make lossless audio rips of CDs. I think the time has come to edit video the same way... Any tips on how to approach this?

Encoding video is still necessary to save space, but "uncompressed" doesn't mean "lossless". (I tried exporting a movie to uncompressed PAL, and the resulting file was 340Gb!!! :eek:)

Am I right that exporting VOB/mpeg2 to DV is lossless? A typical DVD becomes maybe 20 to 40 Gb, which I then import to iMovie, edit, and then export using the same Quicktime settings I used to rip. The quality turns out good, but I'm not sure if my method is lossless or not.

Advice?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The method is not lossless, as MPEG-2 is already a very lossy format, as it only contains every 15th frame anyway.
But your way to transcode the video DVD footage to DV is okay, unless you are in a country with NTSC as broadcast system (USA or Japan), then it would be better to use Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) as video codec.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
unless you are in a country with NTSC as broadcast system (USA or Japan),

That's where the fun starts. I'm in the USA, but I like buying foreign DVDs and fixing them up - edit the subtitles, center and crop bad letterboxing, even correct the aspect ratio occasionally.

Maybe I should be using a PC, but in any case it's almost impossible to do these things losslessly.

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's where the fun starts. I'm in the USA, but I like buying foreign DVDs and fixing them up - edit the subtitles, center and crop bad letterboxing, even correct the aspect ratio occasionally.

Maybe I should be using a PC, but in any case it's almost impossible to do these things losslessly.

Every transcoding process involves losses, especially with such a lossy codec as MPEG-2.
Best to use just AIC as codec and be done with it I guess.
You can use MPEG Streamclip, as mentioned in the links, to transcode the ripped video DVDs properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.