Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yellowstone2012

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
A while back, Apple's COO announced a $3.9 billion dollar investment in something that would be put to "fantastic" use. Now, the amount seems a little high for components that are already out on the market. (camera, memory, etc) 3.9 billion dollars could very well bring the next iPhone a 4" 720p screen. The "leaked" cases that are larger also hint at a bigger screen. (why make the iPhone wider and longer?)

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That really doesn't explain the delay? :confused:

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
A while back, Apple's COO announced a $3.9 billion dollar investment in something that would be put to "fantastic" use. Now, the amount seems a little high for components that are already out on the market. (camera, memory, etc) 3.9 billion dollars could very well bring the next iPhone a 4" 720p screen. The "leaked" cases that are larger also hint at a bigger screen. (why make the iPhone wider and longer?)

WTH? Your post has no connection to your subject. What exactly are u trying to say?

Zalatorisaurus

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2011
Texas
Welp, here's to another meaningless (and uncomprehendable) thread that will most likely be closed by a mod for lack of having a source to said rumor.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Well I'm sure if you all used the very powerful tool of deductive reasoning, one could presume he's saying that the phones a late because of a screen upgrade.... Was it really that hard to figure out?

Zalatorisaurus

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2011
Texas
I was using sarcasm. I understood what he said, I just don't understand how it took apple 3 more months than usual to create something like a screen upgrade. Other phone companies do it every week. I understand the retina display conundrum, but they only have to make one phone a year (or 15 months this time). It seems odd that this would be the only factor that has held up the process. I've been wrong before and I'll be the first to admit it if I am. Here's to hoping there's plenty of new features!

Skyjacker07

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
That's what I was thinking, the masses have to be smarter than that, it makes perfect sense to me.

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Id much rather read a thread with an idea, than another "This is why I love my Iphone4" thread. The real delay might have been caused by overheating chips. It was a story on 9to5 which was submitted to this site, but never posted

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
The 'delays' probably are due to Apple being happy enough with their current sales of the iPhone 4 and wanting to make the most of it. I mean the white iPhone 4 was released like a month before WWDC so no doubt that they wanted that to sell as well as it possibly could too.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
A while back, Apple's COO announced a $3.9 billion dollar investment in something that would be put to "fantastic" use. Now, the amount seems a little high for components that are already out on the market. (, memory, etc) 3.9 billion dollars could very well bring the next iPhone a 4" 720p screen. The "leaked" cases that are larger also hint at a bigger screen. (why make the iPhone wider and longer?)

Just because the change the formfactor isn't a reason for a delay. Was the iPhone 4 delayed due to a change of formfactor. It's more likely they had a problem with putting the A5 chip in the iPhone or similar.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Just because the change the formfactor isn't a reason for a delay. Was the iPhone 4 delayed due to a change of formfactor. It's more likely they had a problem with putting the A5 chip in the iPhone or similar.

Or they planned a September launch all along.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I believe it is three reasons -

- Still strong sales of the 4.

- Overheating problems of the A5

- Moving it to Sept could also mean this becomes their new schedule to announce new iPhones instead of June.

Will get them to prep for the Holiday season. iPod sales are on the decline. Most people just pass on their old iPhones to their children as iPod touches. MP3/PMP player market is becoming overkill and too niche. Running its course with the iPod touch. Apple pretty much killed off upgrading their iPod classics because of slow sales. And iCloud is not going to help them revive it.

I am also thinking if Apple is waiting on what Ice Cream Sandwich might look like. Google is going to unify phones and tablets. This can eliminate some of the fragmentation and give Android users more timely updates. By the time iPhone 5 comes out with the same A5 chip found in an iPad running at 1.2GHz dualcore, the HTC Vigor gets announced and is running at 1.5GHz dual core processor, has the new Ice Cream Sandwich, and has the first 720p display for a phone. You can wait for the iPhone 5 all you like, but newer technology waits for noone.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
Correct me if I'm wrong,

But less than $4 billion doesn't really take a big chunk out of Apple's supposed $79 billion in cash.

After all they spent that much a little while ago to take some of Nortel's patents to keep them out of the hands of a patent trolling company.

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

Apple has more to spend than the US govt at this point, I really dont think that is the problem. I think they want to just wait to release the iphone 5 when IOS is released that would make the most sense Also they needed to push it back a bit because verizon just got the iphone and they had to make it fair.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I believe it is three reasons -

- Still strong sales of the 4.

- Overheating problems of the A5

- Moving it to Sept could also mean this becomes their new schedule to announce new iPhones instead of June.

Will get them to prep for the Holiday season. iPod sales are on the decline. Most people just pass on their old iPhones to their children as iPod touches. MP3/PMP player market is becoming overkill and too niche. Running its course with the iPod touch. Apple pretty much killed off upgrading their iPod classics because of slow sales. And iCloud is not going to help them revive it.

I am also thinking if Apple is waiting on what Ice Cream Sandwich might look like. Google is going to unify phones and tablets. This can eliminate some of the fragmentation and give Android users more timely updates. By the time iPhone 5 comes out with the same A5 chip found in an iPad running at 1.2GHz dualcore, the HTC Vigor gets announced and is running at 1.5GHz dual core processor, has the new Ice Cream Sandwich, and has the first 720p display for a phone. You can wait for the iPhone 5 all you like, but newer technology waits for noone.

This guy gets it. These are the four logical reasons that would constitute to the delay. Personally I think the most likely is the overheating A5 problem (Apple wouldn't want their new iPhone to also be attacked by an overhyped report of a problem it has from launch day).

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton

what-is-this-i-dont-even-thumb.jpg

sexualchocolate

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Not an accident

To me it seems like the delay was planned and not caused by accident. Apple loves to introduce a new version of iOS with every new iPhone. But obviously iOS was also not close to be ready at the usual time. Sure, they could have easily pushed that back as well, but it just seems unlikely to me.
Maybe this belief just stems from the hope that they took all this time to develop something really neat. :)
One other guess might be, that they were really working on two different phones, like some rumors suggest, and they wanted to release them both at the same time, so it took a bit longer to accomplish that.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, the eccentric in me still hopes the delay is due to LTE compatibility.....

but the realist in me says it's because of the display and the overheating.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure the delay is due to the Verizon iPhone. Apple and Verizon wants the newest iPhone to come out at the same time as at&ts.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
This guy gets it. These are the four logical reasons that would constitute to the delay. Personally I think the most likely is the overheating A5 problem (Apple wouldn't want their new iPhone to also be attacked by an overhyped report of a problem it has from launch day).

makes senses as well as the iOS 5 release....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.