Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In OS X Lion, are you using the new "natural direction" for scrolling still.

• Total voters

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I kept trying to like the "natural" direction setting for the scrolling behavior in the User Preferences settings for the trackpad, but I gave up.

It just seemed.. UN-natural. Unlike on an iPhone or iPad, I didn't feel like I was gripping the MBA screen like a physical document to like the direction of the "natural" setting.

I felt disconnected enough from the screen using a trackpad that the more default direction of scrolling from the previous OS Snow Leopard, Leopard, etc (ie turning "natural direction" off) felt more intuitive.

Which setting in Lion do you guys prefer for your MBAs?

Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Once you get used to it, it's not that bad. The only thing I don't like about it is if the setting is on, then even for a mouse it scrolls backwards. There's no way to set mouse and trackpad scrolling differently.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Use it.. love it...

It is hilarious at work though.. The other day I had to give a presentation and had to show a document... Using a mouse on an old PC laptop I constantly mismanaged to move the screen in the right way...

So much so that I was "threaten" to be given a notice to show why I should still have my employment whilst not being able to operate a scroll wheel :).

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I did on my old mbp but far it a chance with the air and in a week it's grown on me. It plays well with the other gestures.

abuleban

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
totally turned it off

seriously not needed; scrolling on iOS devices and laptop trackpads is just different, felt stupid on the MBA to scroll up to go down.

John566

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I like to read pages while I'm scrolling and it feels more natural for me to slowly drag down than push up slowly.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I got used to it immediately. I completely forgot about the scrolling style being different from my older pc until I saw this post.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Being a heavy iPad and smartphone user it didn't take me much time at all to get used to it. I like having the consistency across devices.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
I wanted to switch, but switching the natural direction also switches it for gestures.

What I wanted (and someone please PM me if you figure out a way to get it to work this way):

I wanted the scrolling to be regular (not the new natural stuff). But I wanted the four-finger swipe gesture for switching screens to stay as natural (so swiping to the right makes the left screen come up, and to the left makes the right screen come up).

But it seems you either have everything one way, or everything the other way. :(

On that note, I wish also I could make the top "File Edit View ...etc" bar disappear just like the dock at the bottom for everything, unless if I run the cursor over it. That would be nice for extra screenspace as well. I realize it goes away for some things, but it'd be nice even on desktop.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Its terrible on the magic mouse, but once I bought the magic trackpad, I clearly understand the purpose. rather than dragging a scroll bar, its more like moving an actual sheet of paper, which feels much more natural on a touchpad.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
I started using it when i first switched to Lion with the first DP.
And I adapted to it in about one week. Its natural to have problems at first, since we have been using the "wrong way" of scrolling for too long, but after about one to two weeks it feels like the most natural thing.

docboarder

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
After using it for over a week, it is now intuitive and I like it.
As others stated, having used an iPad and iPhone made it an easy transition.

I have found it less easy to get used to with my old iMac mouse with scrolling ball. I do have the touch pad for my iMac too and it seems more natural with that.

overexposed

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
I think I can get used to it and it probably won't take that long... but the problem I have with it is that I have 2 other Mac that is on Leopard and Snow Leopard which doesn't have this option... which makes it extremely confusing to have some of my trackpad behave the opposite of the new Air...

I hope they make an update to both Leopard and snow leopard to allow for this setting (so that they can be synchonised) then I'm more then happy to give the natural scrolling a proper go...

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't think that it is natural to have reversed scrolling on a touchpad or mouse. I like it on my iPhone and iPad but I hate it on Mac OS X. It is just unnatural and I have it disabled. In fact, this is the first thing I change when I install Lion.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I turned it off. I use more than one computer so I like the consistency. Also, when other people need to see something on my computer, at least it won't throw them off completely.

Natural scrolling isn't as bad as I originally thought though ... I could see myself getting used to it. but to be honest, I don't really care ether way

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I keep natural scrolling enabled on me 2011 11" MBA Ultimate but find it a little irritating not having it on my Mac Pro that has Snow Leopard. Having to switch between the two is taking a little getting used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.